• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

ChiZine Publications

SJAB

Being edited for submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanjboulton.com
Ok, I have done a search and found very little.

No thread for them.

P&E just have them up as a publisher.

I know of some of their authors, (award winners among them) so I don't really have many concerns.

I just want to ask here if anyone has any first hand information.

Just doing the belt and braces thing for my own peace of mind.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Was introduced to them at WFC in Brighton 2013 by one of their authors. They liked the sound of my contemporary fantasy novel and asked that I send it. I sent it in Nov 2013. Nudged a couple of times, got an acknowledgement once promising an answer inside 4 weeks. Never heard back. Have now sold that novel to someone else, so I don't care.

Scythe-Of-Winter

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, they've published anthologies by very, VERY high-end editors like Ellen Datlow, and the anthology included the likes of Neil Gaiman and Garth Nix. I know Ellen and I've never heard a word of complaint about it from her.
I don't know about the novels, though.

SJAB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanjboulton.com
For what it's worth, they've published anthologies by very, VERY high-end editors like Ellen Datlow, and the anthology included the likes of Neil Gaiman and Garth Nix. I know Ellen and I've never heard a word of complaint about it from her.
I don't know about the novels, though.

Thank you for the information.

SJAB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanjboulton.com
Their covers are beautiful, but their site could use better formatting. Also their Amazon sales are really low.

Their website: http://chizinepub.com/

Yes, but I noticed they are not limited to Amazon and sell through Apple, Kobo, Nook, epub and mobi. A lot of folk won't buy through Amazon, even ebooks.

SJAB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanjboulton.com
Really? Is there a boycott going on?

No, just a lot of people prefer to support small bookshops and use other formats. Amazon is a not the only player in the market so when judging sales you should look at everything.

TamMac

Potato-eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tamthewriter.blogspot.ca
This is a bit late but I've got a story in their Imaginarium 3 anthology. I'm still waiting to be paid, and for my contributor's copy. I might just be unlucky, or they might be going through a rough patch, but I'm past the point where I expect to get paid. I personally can't see myself working with them again.

TamMac

Potato-eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tamthewriter.blogspot.ca
Just popping in to let folks know that as of this weekend my payment for Imaginarium 3, and my contributor's copy, came in the mail. Samantha Beiko is the one who stepped in to help me out with that, and very grateful I am too.

Feriku

Registered
Reaction score
It looks like there are a lot of allegations against ChiZine being posted on social media now, from them not paying their writers to them defending racist comments and all sorts of things.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
It's sad, but I'm puzzled by the people defending them, especially the ones suggesting writers should understand they're taking a risk when they sub to a small publisher.

If you're going to pay me in exposure, say that up front. Don't tell me I'm subbing for money and then stiff me. That's not an understandable foible of a struggling mom-and-pop shop; that's bad business, full stop.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're going to pay me in exposure, say that up front. Don't tell me I'm subbing for money and then stiff me. That's not an understandable foible of a struggling mom-and-pop shop; that's bad business, full stop.

If not outright fraud?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
It looks like the anthology I was in (The Humanity of Monsters) is gone now. The publisher page is down as well as the Amazon pages (other than secondhand copies). So that's my last connection to ChiZine gone.

I did get paid both times, once in the magazine and once for the anthology, but it was clear there were some behind-the-scenes issues with the anthology. Payments were delayed and I don't know if contributor's copies ever went out.