A truly weird Alaska story

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't quite know where to post this, but as of Saturday, it will be a current event in the small south coastal town of Seward, Alaska. It's one of those true headscratcher stories.

Background: Seward is a two-hour drive south of Anchorage, along winding and phenomenally scenic highways, with mountains, glaciers, a big tidal inlet and, often, wildlife visible all the way. The town is nestled along a strip of land no more than half a mile wide on the north side of a narrow fiord, with mountains immediately behind the place. The permanent population is about 3,000, but it is the terminus of the Alaska Railroad system, and a major port, both for cargo and for passenger ships in summer.

Immediately behind downtown is a 3,000+ foot mountain called Mt. Marathon. It's called that because every July 4th there is a competitive race up and down the mountain, which draws serious outdoor running competitors and a lot of recreational runners. It is nothing close to easy, but gets hundreds of entrants every year. It's the biggest event of the year in Seward.

Three years ago an extremely strange and tragic event happened in the race. A 66-year-old man from Anchorage, a bit of a fitness and outdoor adventure buff, decided to try it. He came down to Seward with his family to watch the event.

He was last seen nearing the top of the mountain. After that, he vanished. Gone. Simply gone. Never found.

The entire upper slope of the mountain is bare rock, fully visible from town. The lower portion is wooded, but not very distant. It's just right there, behind the town. Search parties were dispatched, looked for a couple of days, and finally were called off because the slippery slopes in places were too dangerous even for them. To this day, nothing has been found.

A more detailed story:

http://www.outsideonline.com/1920136/disappearance-mount-marathon

caw

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Maybe he'll be the next Otzi Iceman. Only, of course, the Seward Ice man. Hopefully someone will find him 5,000 years from now and speculate on the oddity of his demise. (I prefer that to the idea he became a bear's supper.)

I feel terrible for his daughter. I can't imagine the not knowing. :(

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
I expect the History Channel special any day now. Spoiler alert: it was aliens. /dark humor

Seriously, though, this part stood out to me.

The race officials had already packed up by around 6 p.m., when my dad was still headed up. At about 200 feet from the summit, one of the race officials heading down says he saw my dad, and he was still headed up.

Race officials don't need to lay a course or station people every five feet but maybe they should at least stay on the mountain until all of the competitors are down and accounted for. If they want to end the race at a specific time then just turn the slow runners around and follow them down.

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
Kooshdakhaa got him.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Race officials don't need to lay a course or station people every five feet but maybe they should at least stay on the mountain until all of the competitors are down and accounted for. If they want to end the race at a specific time then just turn the slow runners around and follow them down.

There are cutoff times in all races of this kind. You can't keep volunteers around forever.

If you want to continue after you miss a cutoff time, you do so at your risk.

There was still quite a bit of daylight left, and my dad asked if he could still continue up to finish the race.

There is a mandatory safety for this particular race, so I doubt he didn't know what he was getting into, or that he was responsible for his own safety.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There are cutoff times in all races of this kind. You can't keep volunteers around forever.

If you want to continue after you miss a cutoff time, you do so at your risk.

There is a mandatory safety for this particular race, so I doubt he didn't know what he was getting into, or that he was responsible for his own safety.

One thing the race organizers didn't do, until this event, is check in all the competitors at the finish. They simply assumed they were all back. So he wasn't noticed as missing until his family brought it to the attention of authorities. That has now changed. The other matter was that he carried no cell phone or GPS tracker with him. Probably most participants in the event don't, because the mountain is so plainly visible from town, and vice versa. But 2012 was a bit of a strange year in terms of weather, with record snowfall, much still lingering on the mountain, and wet, foggy conditions for the race. This year, with record non-snowfall, the mountain is as bare as a Playboy centerfold's bottom. The problem they most likely will have this year is going to be heat exhaustion.

I think the most likely scenario for the man's disappearance is that he got disoriented near the top, descended down the back side of the mountain, which is sheer unadulterated industrial-strength wilderness, and got caught and buried in some kind of avalanche/rock slide in a really remote place no one ever goes.

caw