Need Advice- Do I move forward or backwards

sekhmet

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

Great resource.

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I am currently attempting to finish my first full-length published work. I am half way through and as the story evolves I realize that I want to make major changes in the early chapters. Do I pump the brakes to re-write or do I push through to the end and then start from the beginning.

Thanks Everyone!

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
There's no right or wrong way to go about it. Personally, I prefer to finish the draft in one go and then go back for any revisions, big or small. The only exception might be anything I want changed in the chapter I've just finished. What you don't want is to get stuck in a pattern of tweaking and revising and not finishing. I think it's normal to have revelations in the middle of a draft. Sometimes you don't know what needs to happen (or not happen) until you're in the thick of it.

Hunter S Johnson

It's writing. How hard can this be?
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with StoryOfWoe, but I am a total noob as well, Sekhmet. As I approach the finish line, I realize I have to go back and make changes too, but as I am now writing with those changes in mind, the reasons for the changes become clearer. I say push through it, and finish. There is a reason it is called the "first draft".

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
I can't say it's best for everyone, but I agree with the other two here -- keep going to get it finished and have something to edit. You can make notes about what you want to do in the revisions, but serious re-writing can wait.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me, it depends on the nature of the change I realize I need to make to the part that's already written. If it's big enough to impact future plot points, I do one of these things:

1) Stop writing. Revise my master plan to incorporate the change from when it happens through to the end. Revise or rewrite starting at the change, up to where I stopped to do this, then proceed to the end following my new plan.
2) Write a gigantic note or comment where I am in the manuscript: STARTING HERE, WRITE LIKE FRED IS A SHAPESHIFTING WALRUS ALL ALONG. Proceed as if I'd already written in the change, and when the manuscript's first draft is complete, go back and make those changes up to that note.
3) Continue writing without the change, as if the idea had not yet occurred to me, with the intention of incorporating it into the second draft only after the first draft is complete.

For me, only the first of those works really well. Everybody works differently, of course, so take a best-guess as what method is likely to produce a finished work that incorporates the change you thought of part-way through.

Maryn, who both loves and dreads new ideas while she's writing

Helen_Rouge

Registered
Reaction score
L.A. - The Movie Capital of Southern California
I think it is necessary to stop and revise because, if the MC is going to be a shape shifting walrus instead of a rabid squirrel, then the rest of the book would be impacted. Because rabid squirrels just don't use the same phrases that shape shifting walruses do. It changes the options available and might likely render the end of the book rather useless.

I do a lot of backwards writing too. If I need there to be a hat in a box in a closet, I make a big deal about it in the front of the book where some character puts a hat in a box and hides it away in that very closet, the one with the Christmas tree box in the back of it. Then, ... woa, what a surprise, hat and box.... are there!

The whole book has to be tied together by a million threads. You can't write the second half if there are changes to the first half. And, it will melt your brain to try and figure out how it all pieces together. "Wait", she didn't know that then...." Crap. Don't go there. Been there, done that.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My walrus happens to have a large hat wardrobe. Can you spare him any closet space?

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
For me it depends...
If it's a major change that will require massive rewrites throughout the entire story - I'll stop and do it rather than try to go through it all later. Mostly because it's what I need for the way I work.

If it's a major change that requires only minor tweaks to what's already written - I'll make an obvious note, something like this:
&&&& edit: Major Buttonhead is a walrus. Check previous references, and make sure to update his preference for fish. &&&&
It's easy to find later (the &&&&) and includes whatever info I need.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Another "it depends."

I don't keep writing if I know there are fundamental plot issues that are going to make anything I write irrelevant. That feels like a waste of my time.

I do keep writing if I feel like I'll be able to keep a lot and integrate the changes well. For example, with my current WIP, I decided to try a new opening that shows some stuff that was initially told in exposition. I know I'll need to revise some scenes, but it's something that can wait.

Sometimes if I'm not sure about the direction of a story, I'll take a short break to think it through, or will play around with the ideas without committing to anything.

sekhmet

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone as I am reading through all of your viewpoints, I think I will try to push through. and make notations of all of the changes that I would like to make. It occurred to me that the main reason I have yet to complete a finished work is that I keep wracking my brain and making myself crazy with revisions. Time to get on the ball.

RackinRocky

Registered
Reaction score
I think it is necessary to stop and revise because, if the MC is going to be a shape shifting walrus instead of a rabid squirrel, then the rest of the book would be impacted. Because rabid squirrels just don't use the same phrases that shape shifting walruses do. It changes the options available and might likely render the end of the book rather useless.

I do a lot of backwards writing too. If I need there to be a hat in a box in a closet, I make a big deal about it in the front of the book where some character puts a hat in a box and hides it away in that very closet, the one with the Christmas tree box in the back of it. Then, ... woa, what a surprise, hat and box.... are there!

The whole book has to be tied together by a million threads. You can't write the second half if there are changes to the first half. And, it will melt your brain to try and figure out how it all pieces together. "Wait", she didn't know that then...." Crap. Don't go there. Been there, done that.

Agreed! I hate that part most about writing. Having to cover several chapters to find out who knows what, and what has been said to someone, and what has not is one of my biggest challenges.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's why my spreadsheet includes things like who knows about The Thing, plus how and when. I don't need that level of detailed planning for every book, but some, I'd screw the pooch without it.

Maryn, who would not actually have sex with a dog

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
That's why my spreadsheet includes things like who knows about The Thing, plus how and when. I don't need that level of detailed planning for every book, but some, I'd screw the pooch without it.

Maryn, who would not actually have sex with a dog

I love my spreadsheets! I may have to beg a sample of one of yours ... Sounds like you've figured out a more detailed tracking system.