Hi, I'm new :-)

JBVam

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a newbie!!!! :hi:

I have been writing since I was a tween, lol. It was nothing major, mostly poetry and short stories. When I was seventeen and in my last year of high school I came up with the concept of writing an eight book series revolving around five female protagonists as they journey through their four years of college.

At that time when I began writing the series I just did it as a hobby. But now that I am thirty-four and nearly five books in (I had really long spans where I didn't write) I have decided to work towards getting my series published. The first book has been edited by a freelance editor and books two through four I will eventually have edited too, once I get my pockets back in order. :)

I must admit that I am a little confused on the genre of my series. My editor suggested YA but I am a little skeptical because; even though these are college aged characters (aged 17 -21) the strong language and subject matters throughout these books makes me wonder if it should be categorized as new adult.

I am in the process of sending query's to agents but I am strongly considering self publishing through CreateSpace. Has anyone had any experience with them before?

Okay, I am finished with my long-winded introduction :tongue. I look forward to chatting with you.

Corsairs

Saying it twice for truth
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, JBV, from a fellow newbie. :welcome:

Regarding your confusion, I guess it depends on the level of language and the maturity of the subject matter that you're talking about. If it's beyond just bits scattered here and there, then it would seem like New Adult would be a better categorization. But ultimately, what's more important the genre label is that you're writing what feels right to you. Let the story flow and let the label get applied after the fact.

JBVam

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Corsairs, thank you!:hooray:

Yes, the language and subject matters can be a bit much throughout the books. I mean let's face it, this is college that we are talking about, lol. So I do feel that the New Adult would be a better fit.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Classic Rock

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome JB - I'm looking at self-publishing also. I don't know one good source from another, at this point and I'm looking for information myself. I was looking at using Amazon. Do you know if one is better than another?

JBVam

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome JB - I'm looking at self-publishing also. I don't know one good source from another, at this point and I'm looking for information myself. I was looking at using Amazon. Do you know if one is better than another?

Hi, I have been doing some research on Create Space. They do POD publishing through Amazon. I have read that they are pretty easy to use. I am in the process of having a final round of proofreading done on my first book so once I am through with that process, I will get the ball rolling on the publishing part. I will be sure to keep you posted on the outcome as this is very new for me also. :)