• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

NineStar Press

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
My experience with my editor at NSP has been absolutely top-notch. I'm really pleased with how things have been progressing with them, and would happily work with them for future projects.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Same here. I've seen other houses where the editing was so slapdash that terrible typos, punctuation, and even tense problems got through printing...so much that the readership noted them in reviews. There are some small errors in my work with NSP, but for the most part the editing is brilliant, and better than I can afford right now.

As a matter of fact I just tonight subbed a proposal for a M/M Neolithic fantasy novella I've had kicking around. About 8K is written, but I think I can get it to 25K easily. We'll see what they say. I have to build a backlist like *yesterday*, whether with NSP or self-pub.

(Wanders off, considering cover art for it just in case.)

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
Same here. I've seen other houses where the editing was so slapdash that terrible typos, punctuation, and even tense problems got through printing...so much that the readership noted them in reviews. There are some small errors in my work with NSP, but for the most part the editing is brilliant, and better than I can afford right now.

I really feel like my editor "gets" my characters and story, and I'm grateful that NSP puts so much into the editing and revising process to put out good products.

As a matter of fact I just tonight subbed a proposal for a M/M Neolithic fantasy novella I've had kicking around. About 8K is written, but I think I can get it to 25K easily. We'll see what they say. I have to build a backlist like *yesterday*, whether with NSP or self-pub.

(Wanders off, considering cover art for it just in case.)

Awesome! I hope they are interested! I'm contemplating digging up a very, VERY old WIP that I never finished and stripping it down to rebuild it as something they might consider publishing, but that will likely happen after NaNo, if at all.

SaraC

Registered
Reaction score
My first novella with them is coming out in Oct. as part of their halloween series. They gave me an R & R for the first novel I sent them, which I appreciated. While I work on that, I sent them something else and was excited that I could send it directly to the editor I worked with on my novella.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I can now announce NineStar Press will be publishing my M/M/F fantasy quest-romance 'The Purist'. We don't have a date yet, but sometime in 2018.

This is my secondary-world high fantasy LGBTQIA riff on the Orpheus myth. Rather than spend another two years on the agent-hunt or lobbing the rewritten version back to Tor and DAW, I pitched it to NineStar.

They're really interested in all the proposals I just sent them, too, for the big multibook series that expands this one. I'm cautious about signing too many of those too soon, given the upheavals of my life. But it's a bit flattering, and a huge relief to stop this round of agent hunting.

kaysa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chlorociboria.com
But it's a bit flattering, and a huge relief to stop this round of agent hunting.

Congratulations! And this is exactly how I felt when I signed with them. They've done great with my space opera trilogy, so I'm glad I just went for it.

kaysa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chlorociboria.com
I think that's what I really love about them. It's not just M/M romance. And right now their most active calls are for more speculative fiction, especially outside the standard M/M. It takes some real guts to feed a market everyone thinks doesn't exist.

If you don't mind saying, who is your editor, Filigree? I'm with Sasha Vorun, whom I love dearly and am so grateful for seeing the potential in ARDULUM.

SaraC

Registered
Reaction score
I can now announce NineStar Press will be publishing my M/M/F fantasy quest-romance 'The Purist'. We don't have a date yet, but sometime in 2018.

This is my secondary-world high fantasy LGBTQIA riff on the Orpheus myth. Rather than spend another two years on the agent-hunt or lobbing the rewritten version back to Tor and DAW, I pitched it to NineStar.

They're really interested in all the proposals I just sent them, too, for the big multibook series that expands this one. I'm cautious about signing too many of those too soon, given the upheavals of my life. But it's a bit flattering, and a huge relief to stop this round of agent hunting.

Congrats!!! That is awesome! =:hooray:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Kaysa, Raevyn McCann was my primary editor on 'Maestro' and 'Moro's Price', but she's way too busy this fall. I'll be working with Jason Bradley. I've had several of the other editors chime in on third passes, so I pretty much just deal with whoever's on the other side of Track Changes.

Which reminds me, I need to tell Jason not to go easy on edits. I'm kind of a masochist when it comes to edits: if I haven't sweated and shaken through at least three detailed passes, I feel like none of us have earned our way.:tongue

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great news, Filigree! Congratulations!

:TheWave:

SaraC

Registered
Reaction score
I just signed a contract with NineStar for my YA urban fantasy novel. This book was my baby - one I've worked on for over 10 years then got over 100 agent rejections for while making all the newbie query mistakes. I'm thrilled NineStar is publishing it, and feel they really are the perfect home for it!!

kaysa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chlorociboria.com
I just signed a contract with NineStar for my YA urban fantasy novel. This book was my baby - one I've worked on for over 10 years then got over 100 agent rejections for while making all the newbie query mistakes. I'm thrilled NineStar is publishing it, and feel they really are the perfect home for it!!

Hoorah, Sara! Congratulations!

krhee85

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats SaraC! I am working on a few submissions and they are one of the main publishers I am looking at. They seem really great.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We all wish you a whole bunch of sales. Congratulations.

As the production proceeds, will you keep us appraised of what's happening? I'm especially interested in what input they want for cover art, how much time you get for edits, and how they promote your work.

kaysa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chlorociboria.com

As the production proceeds, will you keep us appraised of what's happening? I'm especially interested in what input they want for cover art, how much time you get for edits, and how they promote your work.

Maryn, I've got two books published with Ninestar currently. They ask for a fair amount of input for cover art, including examples of covers you like, and a 'concept' that the artist can work with. And once you get a draft, it is changeable. Ninestar knows what sells in a genre, but they also want you to like your cover, too, so will work with you to get something that will sell and that you like.

Edits are thorough. For mine, there are three rounds minimum with my editor, one to two with the copyeditor, and then one with a proofreader. I've never been given a deadline for when to get edits back to my editor, but I also always get them back within 2-3 days, so maybe that's why.

Promotion is a blog tour, generally, and sometimes they do FB ads and such. Ninestar is a small press, so if you are writing outside M/M, you'll need to do a fair amount of your own promotion. That's just the nature of queer literature in small press form, I'm afraid, but my books have sold as I've expected, and I have no complaints. Really, they're a fantastic press, especially for being as little as they are.

SaraC

Registered
Reaction score

I will keep you updated! I did publish a seasonal novelette with them, and even though that was barely more than a short story, I went through three rounds of editing with my editor, two with the copy editor and one with a proof reader. I went quickly because it was a short work, and all the Halloween shorts had the same cover art, so I didn't get to participate in that part of the process, though I am looking forward to it. The piece was too short for a blog tour but it was sent out for reviews.

The way they handled a season short impressed me enough to trust them with my novel - the one that is more my baby than any of the other novel's I've written. I actually got a second offer after I notified other publishers who had my full, but still choose NineStar, because of what's written in these forums, my experience with them, and because the editor is the first one who really seems to get my book and what I am trying to do with it.

writera

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking of submitting here. Does anyone know how this company would stack up against, let's say, a small press like Wild Rose Books?
I'd previously had an offer from Wild Rose, but the consensus on them seemed to be - great press, lovely people, nice covers, but very low royalties. Would Nine Star Press be considered better than Wild Rose?

krhee85

Registered
Reaction score
I can happily report now that one of the novellas I've been working on was accepted for an upcoming anthology with Ninestar Press. Contract was signed a few days ago. Excited since this is my first non-selfpubbed work. Have not yet started working with my editor, but looking forward to it.

SaraC

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking of submitting here. Does anyone know how this company would stack up against, let's say, a small press like Wild Rose Books?
I'd previously had an offer from Wild Rose, but the consensus on them seemed to be - great press, lovely people, nice covers, but very low royalties. Would Nine Star Press be considered better than Wild Rose?

I had an offer from Wild Rose for the book I signed with NineStar. After reading the full threads for both, I decided NineStar was the better option.