The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NineStar Press

paranormal interest Jennifer Robins's Avatar
    I'm sure they are busy, and I'm willing to wait as usual. Thanks Filigree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Robins View Post
    Its been four weeks now for me. Haven't heard anything yet. I really like the name of this pub, for very personal reasons, so dear to my heart. It seemed like an omen to sub to them.
    I heard about them for my novella in a few days, but its getting close to two months I've been waiting for my novel. Like Filigree said, they are busy, and I'm guessing the longer the project, the longer it is going to take them to decide.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I'm sort of curious if their contract improved since I submitted to them. They made me an offer for a novella, but their base contract was just unacceptable to me, and they wouldn't negotiate it at all, likely because I don't have a name in the industry. I mean, there are certain unfairnesses I'm prepaired to deal with in contracts, of course, but the one they offered me had some deal breakers that I just really couldn't accept (e.g. they retained the right to make content edits against my will). Of course, how much they're willing to negotiate depends on a variety of factors, but I didn't get anywhere with them at all, so I ended up having to reject the offer. I'm not terribly bummed out about this since that novella was something I wrote as an experiement and was never terribly desperate to publish, but some time has passed since then, and I'm curious if they improved their contract at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    (e.g. they retained the right to make content edits against my will).
    I don't recall that being in my contract. The only thing they can change without my permission are minor things, like punctuation or grammar, but any content changes have to be agreed upon by both parties before it moves into the final copy editing phase. I didn't try to negotiate, because my piece was barely a novelette (7500 words) and any other place I would have published it would have been a lit mag or e-zine that didn't negotiate anyways. I'd approach things differently if it were a longer work though.

My contracts for both novella and novel allow me final say on editorial changes. The legal indemnity stuff is pretty much the same as other small presses, something I figure into my business plan. But everyone's mileage may vary.

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    That's good. I guess at least they removed that part from the contract then. Or maybe they have different base contracts which they offer depending on how valuable the author is to them.
    Mine gave them last call on edits, and they wouldn't budge on it when I attempted to negotiate it, claiming that they need to make sure the book is marketable, etc, so they need to have last call. And there was a pretty high early termination fee, which would mean that if they wanted to impliment a change I didn't agree to, they could, and I couldn't even get out of the contract, because I couldn't afford that fee.
    I've definitely seen far better warranty and indeminification clauses than NineStar's, but yeah, none of them are going to be great, so you have to consider them depending on your own situation.
    It's possible it would have all gone swimmingly and none of that would have mattered, but as they say, the contract is not for when everything is great, it's for when things start going to hell, so I decided not to risk it.

For me, the right reversion processes are the most important part of the deal. If NineStar goes belly-up, as many new small presses do, I get my story back easily and cleanly.

Thick Skin Pre-Installed Zombie Fraggle's Avatar
    Ninestar has an anthology call for submissions out right now that's right in my wheelhouse, but their terms for anthologies are not good.

• Royalty-split with not even a token advance. Rankings, number of reviews, and some rudimentary mathematics don't add up to much of a payment.
    • Exclusive two-year term, which is great for novels but uncommonly long for short stories/novellas included in anthologies.
    • Rights taken are for ebook, print, and audio formats. One anthology is not in print, and I see no evidence that Ninestar has exploited audio rights for any of their titles to date, anthology or otherwise.

Compare with a competing LGBTQ+ small press, Less Than Three. (Disclosure: I have one story in a LT3 anthology but am otherwise unaffiliated).

• Anthologies pay a flat fee of $200 per story.
    • Rights taken are ebook and print only.
    • Three-year term, but it's nonexclusive after six months following publication. At the expiration of those six months, you are free to sell the story to another press/magazine or self-publish. Doesn't get much better than that for a small-press anthology.

I do love Ninestar's covers, though.

Yes, one reason I haven't submitted to NSP anthologies. The sales ranks on Amazon aren't strong enough to support royalty-only.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123