Trivial Tuesday Post -- Heartthrob Gorilla?

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, there is a gorilla in a zoo in Japan that is causing women to swoon due to his uncommon good looks. Well, swooning might be an exaggeration, but women clearly find him attractive.

CNN story here (with pics and video!) - http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/26/asia/...id=ob_article_footer_expansion&iref=obnetwork

A surprisingly hunky male gorilla, Shabani, has female humans going ape after mugshots of the 18-year-old animal began going viral on Twitter.

Zoo officials tell CNN that young women have been flocking to see the pretty primate, who lives at the Higashiyama Zoo and Botanical Gardens in Nagoya.

So, is it wolf whistle or eewwww? :D

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of years back, we had Bokito. A large, male gorilla in the zoo of Rotterdam, if I remember correctly. There was a woman, a regular visitor, who claimed she had a special connection with Bokito. She smiled and he smiled right back at her. Zoo personel warned her not to do it, because a smile is interpreted as agressive by most primates. This went on for some time, until Bokito decided he had had enough of it, escaped, attacked the woman and left her with a couple of broken bones and over a hundred bitemarks.

The woman told the newspapers, from her hospitalbed, she still loved him.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
First thing I thought of when I saw the photo: "Charlton Heston"

If I had more tech savvy and wasn't on my phone, I'd try to put side by side pics of the two. But yeah, Heston does have a prominent brow bone, and I see what you're saying. ��

Vince, trust us -- that stare is a compliment! *pets Vince*

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
First thing I thought of when I saw the photo: "Charlton Heston"

JUQseGf.png

I can see it.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I realize I was the one that started us down this slippery slope with the polygamy thread, but do we really have to go here? :D

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of years back, we had Bokito. A large, male gorilla in the zoo of Rotterdam, if I remember correctly. There was a woman, a regular visitor, who claimed she had a special connection with Bokito. She smiled and he smiled right back at her. Zoo personel warned her not to do it, because a smile is interpreted as agressive by most primates. This went on for some time, until Bokito decided he had had enough of it, escaped, attacked the woman and left her with a couple of broken bones and over a hundred bitemarks.

The woman told the newspapers, from her hospitalbed, she still loved him.
She might have had a point. Over a hundred bitemarks and none of them fatal? Obviously love-nips.
I suspect it's the same sort of attraction (on her side) that leads women to start romances with criminal who are in prison for life. You get to tell your friends that there's a male in your life, without the nuisance of actually having him around. In the case of gorillas, they're literally the strong, silent type. You never have to listen to his opinions, or pretend to take his advice.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He is hot. He's a thrilla 'rilla!

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Gorillas are beautiful creatures to start.

This guy, however...:Jaw::e2faint::e2brows::e2headban

:roll:

I showed the article to my seventeen year old daughter, and she immediately asked, "Is it weird that I think I agree with those women?" Haha, he reminds me of the lead ape in the latest Planet of the Apes movie.

asroc - how did you post those pics so fast? And even matching face angles. Amazing. Thanks!

And Teinz -- That story - good God! Did he escape in order to attack her?

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I guess so. It would be some coincidence if it wasn't. Wouldn't you want to attack someone who would piss you off on a daily basis? :)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Hollywood made a lot of movies about two people who see each other everyday, have an antagonistic relationship, then realize they're in love. He's good-looking, she's persistent... :Shrug: ;)

Besides, I think I've figured out part of his appeal to humans (apart from being a powerful, dignified male mammal, of course): his eyes show a lot of white, compared to pictures of other gorillas. Visible sclera makes human eyes look different from the usual animal eye which, unless the eye is moving in it's socket, is usually a solid colour. So, this guy looks more like a person than most.