The Importance of Allies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Many of us here are minorities in some way, but we should also be allies for each other. I may be bisexual, but I'm also an LGBT ally. I'm a transgender ally. I'm an asexual ally. I'm a lesbian ally.

And being an ally is goddamn important.

As a transgender ally, one thing I've noticed is that people actually listen to me. Yeah. Depressing, isn't it? The transgender woman I go to class with gets bullied, but when I explain what transgenderism is, people nod and ask questions. And because I'm not transgender, it's not personal to me. I don't get angry. I don't have weak spots.

But when I talk about my own bisexuality... well, I can't talk about bisexuality. It's too frustrating. When someone tells me married people can't be bisexual, it reminds me of every other time I've heard that, and I lose my temper. It's like being punched in the same spot over and over and over. I get sore.

If you can't speak up for yourself, speak up for other people. It's easier.

So what does "speaking up" mean?

I'm not suggesting allies should go out and start arguments with everyone they see. I'm saying that when the conversation comes up, state your opinion and stand behind it. Someone calls Caitlin Jenner a tranny? Give them a funny look and say, "Oh. Wow, that's a fucked-up slur." Then change the subject.

When someone calls a bisexual person a lesbian: give them a weird look. "She's bisexual. It's not the same thing." Then change the subject.

Making people uncomfortable is a really powerful tool. You would be surprised what peer pressure can do. And that's why it's good to be an ally. You're not pushing. You're not apart of that group. People might actually care about your opinion. It doesn't make you mad, and no one can be a dick to you about it.

Don't let stuff slide by you just because it doesn't affect you. If you call yourself an ally, then don't nod politely when your good friend Bob makes a homophobic remark.

Sorry the long post. It's just something that's been on my mind recently. I had a conversation about my lifestyle today, and it just irritates the crap out of me. I get sick of defending myself all the time. It's easier to defend other people.

To ya'll who stand up for everyone: good for you. The people you're helping appreciate it, trust me.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Thank you for posting this. I've considered myself an ally since college at least (when our bisexual RA gave a presentation about the issues faced by LGBT people). Even though I consider myself heterosexual and cisgender, I've never felt like I quite fit in with the "normal" gender roles and values of our society, so the issues really just resonate with me. So many of the arguments against transgender people and people who experience same-sex attraction are based on very narrow, rigid concepts of gender roles, religion (and its place in directing public discourse and legislation) and sexuality that are actually an insult to many heterosexual people too.

But also, I just can't stand bullies who say that people who aren't hurting anyone shouldn't be allowed to live their lives. I've seen too many nice people hurt by prejudice.

But I've wondered sometimes if I should just shut up. As a woman, I know it feels good to have a guy turn around and tell one of his sexist male buddies he's being a sexist idiot, because yes, sometimes I get so tired of arguing when the goal posts keep getting moved, and after a while, I realize the person saying sexist stuff just hasn't heard a thing I said, whether I use logic, emotion, anecdote, or scientific data to try and refute what they're saying.

But I don't know if everyone else agrees. I worry that my attempts to explain about things like asexuality, bisexuality, transgender identities and so on to straight friends and relatives who don't really get it might be "straightslaining" or something, since I'm straight too. I saw someone who is definitely an ally get torn into on FB by someone who told her to STFU about stuff she doesn't understand (she handled it admirably), and there's that thing with Wendig's blog today, where he said he's not going to speak up on gender issues anymore, as it's none of his business (not sure what precipitated it, except it had to do with his defending EL James from being picked apart on twitter or something). And a friend who is transgender recently said obliquely on twitter that her allies scare her more, sometimes, than her detractors (I don't think it was aimed at me, but it did make me think about whether engagement is welcome).

I think it is important as an ally to listen and learn, and to be willing to apologize if offense is given. But at some point, if someone who is gay is telling me that I really shouldn't (say) write a gay character unless there's a definite reason for that character to be gay, rather than just ticking off an affirmative action box, then am I straightsplaining if I tell them why I think it's important for there to be more books out there with characters who are QUILTBAG because it reflects reality, and because it's good for all kids to grow up knowing that people like them can be heroes too?

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
It is a frustrating truth that many people will listen only to people they think are like them. It should not be so, but it is. That's why being an ally is important. It would be better to be able to sit back and let people speak for themselves, but if they won't be listened to, one should speak up on their behalf.

In doing so, it's a good idea to point out that the people being othered can speak for themselves, and it would be better if they were listened to. Therefore, the most important thing an ally can say is, "Listen to what they are saying about their lives. They're the ones living it."

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
In doing so, it's a good idea to point out that the people being othered can speak for themselves, and it would be better if they were listened to. Therefore, the most important thing an ally can say is, "Listen to what they are saying about their lives. They're the ones living it."

This is very true. And it so often becomes a matter of white or straight people arguing with one another about what's important.

One challenge with having these debates online, of course, is not knowing the race, orientation, or even gender (sometimes) of a person you're engaged with. I did have the embarrassing experience of lecturing someone about how writing colorblind is writing white one time (he made the argument that writers shouldn't mention race and allow the reader to imagine the character as any race they want), that this is an argument made from a position of white privilege, and he sent me a PM with a picture of himself, and he is black.

So sometimes I'm just really confused about what's true or helpful sometimes.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
As a woman, I know it feels good to have a guy turn around and tell one of his sexist male buddies he's being a sexist idiot, because yes, sometimes I get so tired of arguing when the goal posts keep getting moved
These are my feelings, as well. It's exhausting to argue about such a personal issue, especially when the person you're talking to refuses to listen. When allies speak up, it's such a huge relief.

Which makes me wonder: why don't allies speak up more often?

But I don't know if everyone else agrees. I worry that my attempts to explain about things like asexuality, bisexuality, transgender identities and so on to straight friends and relatives who don't really get it might be "straightslaining" or something, since I'm straight too. I saw someone who is definitely an ally get torn into on FB by someone who told her to STFU about stuff she doesn't understand (she handled it admirably), and there's that thing with Wendig's blog today, where he said he's not going to speak up on gender issues anymore, as it's none of his business. And a friend who is transgender recently said obliquely on twitter that her allies scare her more, sometimes, than her detractors.
Yeah, definitely. I often wonder this, too. In the end, no group is a monolith. One person might appreciate your help; another might mock you for daring to talk about it. I think all of us have been snapped at before. And all you can really do in that situation is apologize and try to understand the other side.

My rule of thumb is: if you're talking to an oppressed person, you need to listen. If you're talking to another ally, you need to discuss. If you're talking to anyone else, you need to educate.

It would be better to be able to sit back and let people speak for themselves, but if they won't be listened to, one should speak up on their behalf.
That's absolutely true. Expanding on that, though... I think a lot of oppressed people -- myself included -- would rather live their lives than constantly defend themselves.

Last edited:

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
This is very true. And it so often becomes a matter of white or straight people arguing with one another about what's important.

One challenge with having these debates online, of course, is not knowing the race, orientation, or even gender (sometimes) of a person you're engaged with. I did have the embarrassing experience of lecturing someone about how writing colorblind is writing white one time (he made the argument that writers shouldn't mention race and allow the reader to imagine the character as any race they want), that this is an argument made from a position of white privilege, and he sent me a PM with a picture of himself, and he is black.

So sometimes I'm just really confused about what's true or helpful sometimes.
Oh, goodness. :roll:

I had that experience just the other day. Someone mentioned they were nervous about writing a bisexual character. I told them to get a bisexual beta reader. Turns out the writer is bisexual themselves. Whoops.

I hear you about the whole "how do I help" thing. Different people are going to tell you different things. I know everyone says that we should listen to those oppressed, and we should -- but in the end, you DO have to form your own opinion about what's right.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I hear you about the whole "how do I help" thing. Different people are going to tell you different things. I know everyone says that we should listen to those oppressed, and we should -- but in the end, you DO have to form your own opinion about what's right.

I agree. Especially when people with a history of oppression have different opinions. But I wonder, sometimes, if I becomes one of those tedious white or straight or cis people saying, "Well my [black, Asian, Latino, Native American, gay, or transgender] friend told me they want to see more representation in fiction, and they liked the way I wrote this character."

The best thing to do, I guess, is acknowledge how the person feels, try to see if you think they have a point, but if you're getting opposite feedback from different people who know more about the issue than you do, you have to trust yourself.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this question belongs here so apologize if it's ill-placed. I'm a cisgender woman who has been an ally to varying degrees for most of my life. I was very involved in the marriage equality fight in MA, and through the organization I volunteered for also worked on other rights' issues, including some transgender rights advocacy. That's mostly been me in an office doing data entry or sending emails or making calls to legislators, sometimes using a script.

I joined a new organization focusing on transgender issues. I haven't done much yet, but will be attending a lobby day (regarding a public accommodations bill) at the State House in September. I've done lobby days before, and I figure it will be like those. I'll be there for numbers, while others speak, and basically I will do what I am told (I'll also have at least a few friends there). And I trust the organization to prepare me. I don't even expect to speak, but over the years, I've gotten to know some of the legislators I might see and be in a meeting with who might talk to me directly. When I signed up for the event, I thought of certain AWers and wondered, "If I get asked a question or run into a legislator who engages me, what would they want me to say?" I thought of asking one specific member in a PM, but then thought I might ask here. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.