• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Mythic Delirium Books / Clockwork Phoenix

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
CLOCKWORK PHOENIX 5 is open to submissions!
The reading window closes July 26.

More stories of beauty and strangeness is the theme. :)

Thought I'd add this antho market. Apologies, folks, for I'd meant to add this much much sooner. I heard about CP 5 right after the Kickstarter succeeded; I hadn't known it was ongoing at all. o_O

More details on the MD Books site.

READING PERIOD: We are open to submissions until July 26.

Best of luck to you, sff writers.

Disclaimer: I proofread Clockwork Phoenix 3. Back in 2010.

I enjoyed it. Ones I liked best: C.S.E. Cooney's "Braiding the Ghosts"*, John C. Wright's complex timewarp story, Gemma Files' "Hell Friend"... lots of goodies. And Tanith Lee (I got to proofread one of my very favoritest authors EVER--!)... enough said.

* This is one of the sample stories on the site. :D

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
A few years ago, I agreed with that assessment. By now, I've seen too many high-profile anthologies with Name Authors go the Kickstarter route. It's a way to guarantee production funding and a minimum payout to the authors. It's mostly legitimate, but do your research on each group, obviously. In the case of Clockwork Phoenix, it's a respected enough market that I'd do it for the street cred.

I'd rather send a story to a openly-declared, funded Kickstarted antho than to a small-press hiding its cash-flow problems behind walls of 'we are a happy family, we expect you to all pitch in and help market, edit, etc.'

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Also, they're paying .06 per word, which is already a rate I'd be happy with for a story sale, even discounting the likelihood (or non) of any royalties. If they're using Kickstarter to collect the money to pay writers, I have no problem with that.