Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I don't tend to chafe much, except around the running bra area. But I can tell you that body glide is the magic bullet.

I'm cheap so I use vaseline. :tongue

I'm sure you've already heard this, but I'll say it anyway. Be careful when ramping up your mileage that high that quickly. I won't say don't do it, but do listen to your body and back off a bit if you find you need to do so. Some people do fine ramping up quickly to high mileage, but a lot of people (even young people) start breaking down, which can get ugly. Stress fractures are not a happy thing. (Even Lance Armstrong got stress fractures when training for the NYC marathon. He was in damn fucking fine shape, obviously. But he wasn't used to the pounding on the pavement, which is harder on your body than you might think. I have never had a stress fracture, but some of my running friends have, and they suck.)

Don't worry. I tell my friend who started a couple months after me the same thing. Thanks to my Asperger's, once I'm into something, I tend to obsess over it and research it thoroughly.

I also had an early bout with a (thankfully mild) case of peroneal tendinitis after trying to run 7 miles off of 10-15 mpw. So now my plans may be aggressive, but I keep individual increases small, and am happy to take an extra rest day or back off if I'm not feeling it.

I have no problems at all with mileage of 35-40 a week, plus cross-training. Knees, ankles, joints are all fine. I got to that level pretty quickly, as you did. But once I get to around 50 running miles a week, I find I have to start ramping more slowly and taking better care of myself after runs. YMMV -- some people have a higher threshold, and many have a lower threshold. Running is awesome, but running injuries decidedly are not. You'll learn soon enough what your own body can handle.

Yeah. I'll see. I'll adjust my plans if I need to go slower. I slowed down my easy days this week, and feel better now at 35 than I did 30.

Running books generally advise building your mileage no more than 10% a week. I think people differ so much that it's hard to give blanket advice like that. I found I could build faster than that, up to a point.

I like Jack Daniels. No, not that Jack Daniels. Well, yes, that Jack Daniels, too. But I mean the Daniel's Running Formula Jack Daniels.

I've heard the 10% rule of thumb, but I prefer Daniel's advice to increase 1 mile per week for every run per week, but only increase every 3-4 weeks.

(I think I've got good biomechanics. My brother is also a distance runner, and my dad was athletic in his day. That helps. My brother in his days as a state champion ran about 100 miles a week!) But I do know a LOT of people who got too enthusiastic too quickly and had problems.

I played soccer in middle school and high school, and ran track my final year in both. People told me I was fast, so I stupidly thought that meant I should be a sprinter, and that's what I did. (And running long distance was intimidating.) I wish I'd known better then, because I'm absolutely not built for sprinting, and never won a single race.

Now that I look back, it's blindingly obvious. I thought I hated running, but the only training runs I actually ended up enjoying were the long ones.

When I ran track, I suffered from chronic shin splints. I got them again when I started, and I had to correct my stride to stop overstriding. I also ditched my 10mm drop running shoes for minimalist shoes. I'm looking into Altras so I can get some cushioning again, but I'll probably stick with the minimalist shoes for the summer. When I do back to Purdue, I'll also see if I can run in the 10mm drop shoes without pain.

So anyway -- listen to your body if it tells you to go easier or take a break. It's not wimping out or holding back your training -- it's being smart. Other than that, I say have fun and go for it!

Rest is part of training, I figure.

My problem is on rest days I tend to eat as much as I do on days I ran...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Cross training is unbelievably great for running. When I was a teen, I couldn't run any distance without knee or hip aches. Then in college I took a body building class for credits. Lo and behold, after about two months of doing serious squats, I could run. And run. And....

I did a few squats when my right knee started hurting. When it stopped hurting, I stopped doing squats. I'll still do calf raises every now and then for my ankles.

I'll happily ride a bike or something, but I just find strength training so painfully boring.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Yep. I started to do upper weights years ago out of pure vanity (my grandmother had some batwing arms, and I really don't want those). But I was afraid to do lower body weight work at first, for fear I'd muck up my running. (Plus I run and cycle, so I figured my lower body gets lots of exercise.) I soon discovered, though, that the weight work, far from mucking up my running, helped build all the muscles running doesn't, especially around the knees. Squats are the best! They really help with hills in particular. (They also do wonders for the tush, so they're good for the vanity, too.)

ETA:

Kuwi, have you tried flirting with everyone in the weight room? It's an excellent antidote to boredom. (Seriously, I've made some friends that way, and gotten a couple of dates.)

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Kuwi, have you tried flirting with everyone in the weight room?

I'd probably be lifting less weight than most of the ladies there.

And when it comes to guys, I'm definitely not into weight lifters.

It's an excellent antidote to boredom. (Seriously, I've made some friends that way, and gotten a couple of dates.)

I've been to the gym with (male) friends from the stats department a couple times, so company doesn't help the tedium, for me.

Gym days during high school track were a welcome respite from all the running, but were likewise boring, despite plenty of friends of both male and female variety.

Edit: Besides, if I absolutely must do strength training, I'd rather do bodyweight exercises in the comfort of my own apartment while watching anime.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Heh. It's funny -- I'm a lone wolf runner, but tend to be chatty in a weight room, unless I'm really grumpy. I'm not sure why that is.

I've found there really are all types in the weight room -- not everyone is a big musclehead. It might depend on your gym, though.

Anyway. Not all forms of exercise are fun for all people, and that's fine. It's great if you can find at least one thing you do enjoy.

I don't tend to like classes, for example. I don't like someone at the front of the room barking instructions at me, I don't like moving in unison with a group of sweaty people, and I don't like having their feet or whatever flailing at me. The music is usually either too loud or it sucks or both.

I hate the eliptical, the treadmill, and stationary bikes (and yes, that includes spin classes, which I abhor). As much as I truly love both cycling and running outside, I find them hideously dull inside. It has to be pretty damn horrible outside for me to choose doing them indoors. Music helps, but not enough. When I'm running outside, on the other hand, I don't even want music. I like connecting with the sound of my footfalls, and birds, and the world around me.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. I hate the gym and I'm happy to have found running so I don't need it anymore.

To each their own.

After all, compared to many people, "my sport is your sport's punishment."

Last edited:

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I love working out in a gym. I'm not chatty either. I get very much into my own zone. Sadly, I haven't been able to afford a gym in some time. Plus, I live so far from town now.

Because of that, my knees are acting up again.

I really need to start riding my horses more. Riding at a brisk posting trot burns the same calories as power walking/slow jogging. And it tones the abs and thighs. And it makes my horses sexier.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Ryan Hill outkicks Galen Rupp in yesterday's men's 5,000m under much nicer conditions than Thursday's 10,000m.

Nicole Tully wins the women's 10,000m. Shalane Flanagan and Emily Infeld looked good early on, but you can tell they were feeling Thursday's 10,000m.

Corsairs

Saying it twice for truth
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy my time in the gym. I also enjoy talking with others, but my theory is to avoid starting conversations unless it's clear the other person wants to talk.

As for getting into weightlifting, it's certainly not for everyone. There's definitely a hill to climb when it comes to getting into it. I remember the first week I lifted. I got sick at the end of the week, and it legitimately knocked me out from lifting for another week. Yet I still didn't return to the gym a week after that, with the convenient excuse that I was still "recovering." Truth was I just wanted an excuse not to go. But after sticking with it for about six straight weeks, something clicked. "Let's find a reason not to go" turned into "I couldn't dream of not going," and it's stuck like that for seven years.

I do wish I could convince my friends who exclusively lift to mind their cardio, too. I love running as much as lifting, and I think both have a place in a healthy exercise regiment. Sadly, I injured my foot in May and haven't been able to run hardly at all since. This is quite distressing since I have a race coming up at the end of next month!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I do wish I could convince my friends who exclusively lift to mind their cardio, too. I love running as much as lifting, and I think both have a place in a healthy exercise regiment.

To each their own. I think for some of us, at some point, it stops being about healthy exercise, and begins being about something else.

I started running to lose weight, but now I only want to lose weight so I can run faster.

Sadly, I injured my foot in May and haven't been able to run hardly at all since. This is quite distressing since I have a race coming up at the end of next month!

That sucks. Hope it heals quickly! What's the race?

Last edited:

Corsairs

Saying it twice for truth
Registered
Reaction score
That sucks. Hope it heals quickly! What's the race?
Thanks! The race is the Shawshank Hustle in Mansfield, OH. Just a simple four-mile run, but it's significant for me because it's my first ever competitive race (or at least it will be if I can run).

One neat thing about the setting: it ends at the Mansfield Reformatory, which is where they filmed The Shawshank Redemption. I'll be taking a tour when the race is over. :)

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
To each their own. I think for some of us, at some point, it stops being about healthy exercise, and begins being about something else.

I started running to lose weight, but now I only want to lose weight so I can run faster.

Definitely true for me.

Heh. My best running weight is about ten pounds lighter than the weight at which I look most attractive. (Both within a healthy range for me, so it's not a matter of that.) Whenever I start seriously training for something, I get a chorus of "you look too skinny"!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. My best running weight is about ten pounds lighter than the weight at which I look most attractive. (Both within a healthy range for me, so it's not a matter of that.) Whenever I start seriously training for something, I get a chorus of "you look too skinny"!

I started at around 165 lbs (5' 6" here) and I'm now a little under 155 lbs, which is actually still bordering on overweight.

I'm hoping to get down to 135 lbs by November, which is where I was when I ran track in high school, and where I think I look best.

I'd probably be fastest around 120 lbs (which is still a healthy weight for me) but I don't know if I can (or want to try to) get that low.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Do any of ya'll follow training plans?

I'm designing my own based on Jack Daniel's advice from Daniel's Running Formula.

Whenever I mention this to people, they think my running involves shots of whiskey.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Any tips on getting to sleep early? I'm a night owl, but the mornings are cooler than the evenings.

Or should I just tough out running in the heat? Gah... Sleep or cool temps, sleep or cool temps...

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I hate running. Really do. But it's a great way to do something with the dogs.

Signed up to a half-marathon in October. Currently can run about a third of the distance without dying. I have fun training days ahead of me. But my dogs love me for it.

However, I still don't like it and I'm starting to believe runner's high is a myth.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I started at around 165 lbs (5' 6" here) and I'm now a little under 155 lbs, which is actually still bordering on overweight.

I'm hoping to get down to 135 lbs by November, which is where I was when I ran track in high school, and where I think I look best.

I'd probably be fastest around 120 lbs (which is still a healthy weight for me) but I don't know if I can (or want to try to) get that low.

Congrats & thanks for the inspiration. I feel so much better when I'm leaner. You've got a cheer-er out there & I'm hoping to do the same.

As to your schedule & the heat - why not run at night?

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch

I'm designing my own based on Jack Daniel's advice from Daniel's Running Formula.

Whenever I mention this to people, they think my running involves shots of whiskey.

I read through several training plans... and then made one for myself out of the few I've looked at. Every now and then I compare the plans and see where I'm at and whether or not it's working.

Also, about the morning/evening thing. I can't get up in the morning, it's impossible for me to function at that time. I wait until 9-9.30PM and go for a run then throughout the week (the easy, steady mileage building runs) and then go to bed... usually all hyped up and can't sleep ;)

On weekends I sometimes go for an early run, knowing I can nap at some point later in the day. Or go at 10PM since I know I can sleep in the next day.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score

I've roughly followed one when marathon training (the advanced competitor's one in Bob Glover's competitive runner's handbook). But now i've been running for enough years that mostly I run a bit by feel, and just try to work in speed runs and long runs on a regular basis, I keep track of my weekly miles, and back off when I need a break. I track it all -- having it written down ensures I don't overdo or underdo.

Any tips on getting to sleep early? I'm a night owl, but the mornings are cooler than the evenings.

Or should I just tough out running in the heat? Gah... Sleep or cool temps, sleep or cool temps...

It is nicer running when it's cooler, though to some extent your body does start to adjust to the heat.

If you are a natural nightowl and want to readjust your bedtime, I suggest:

Be consistent. Don't go to bed at 3 am on the weekends, and 10 pm on weekdays. And get up early every day, even if you're tired and didn't sleep well.

Turn off the computer, ipad, whatever at least an hour and preferably two before bed. A number of studies have shown that staring at a bright screen close to bedtime makes your body feel more awake.

I find I sleep better if I do not have a big meal close to bedtime. Alcohol doesn't help me either. I might get drowsy, but the sleep I get is disturbed and not restful. Ymmv.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
As to your schedule & the heat - why not run at night?

I like to see where I'm going.

I'll hold off on running with a headlamp until I'm into ultras. O_O

Actually, one of my favorite runs was on a moonlit night in winter. The sky was clear, the trees were bare, and the moon was bright on the newfallen snow.

But that was back at Purdue.

Here in Boston, last time I ran at night, I ran into a homeless guy pooping in the park. No thank you.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
The only way I'll run at night is in a pack. It's pleasant in a lot of ways, but can be dangerous for a few reasons.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be (loosely) following a self-designed plan based on Jack Daniels.

I was going to go into Daniel's Phase II (introducing speed work) this week, but I've been feeling some hip flexor pain, so I decided to re-allocate another four weeks to Phase I (base building).

Still trying to throw in some strides now and then, but my hip still feels tight.

And I'll still try to pick it up to marathon pace for the last mile or two on an easy run if I'm feeling good.

Status
Not open for further replies.