Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I'll give it some thought.

My fancy pancy garmin watch does a pretty accurate job of tracking my mileage, breaking it down into splits, etc., and tracking my heartrate, if I feel like wearing the heartrate thingee. And then you can upload all of it. So it's really easy for me to be geeky.

Heh. I also put a little pedometer thingee on my shoe that connects to a phone app. But that's mostly because my health insurance company pays me $1 a day if i take 10,000 steps. So that's a whole different kind of geek i've got going.

I bought one of those suunto watches. It tracks my climbs and tells me how scared I was while trying to fit onto a tiny foothold on top of a wall while the abyss was below me (aka my heart rate ;) ) It beeps at me, angrily, when I run too fast and tells me how long I should recover. It beeps angrily when the weather is turning. And on hikes it tells me where the next waypoint is and directs me nicely around.
Plus all the statistics I get... it's crazy. Nobody needs so much information, but I'm loving it :) It motivates me to train harder.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Morning running has proven unsustainable.

I am just not a morning person. >_<

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
... our ability to sweat and regulate our body temperature better than other mammals is what makes humans the best distance runners in the animal kingdom. No other animal in the world can outrun us over long distances, because they overheat and we don't.

^
Neat factoid!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Second double digit run. 10.6 miles today. Felt good. That makes ~43 for the week.

Was trying to decide whether to run Sunday or Monday since both forecasts were terrible (70F+ dew point) but Monday evening's forecast just improved dramatically (high 50F's dew point), so I guess that makes Sunday my rest day.

Since accepting I suck at waking up early, my evening runs have been on the Charles River because I'm downtown in the evening, and since there are always enough other runners and walkers out late I'm not as worried about racing the sunset (whereas Franklin Park, where my morning runs start and finish, gets sketchy fast after dark).

I'm happy about that since I was worried I was getting burnt out on running after building up mileage quickly. Fortunately, I'm pretty sure now I was just burnt out on waking up early.

So today was the first day I extended my Charles River run (before I always did 6 miles when I ran it). One of my goals while here in Boston was to run the whole Emerald Necklace (~15 miles) before I left. I still want to do that, but now I want to run the whole Charles River, too (well, the whole runnable part of it, anyway). That's ~17 miles. I have 3 weeks.

Can I do it?

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
6 miles today.

Woke up this morning to a brutal 90F day with a dew point in the 70F's. Temperature was still 87F when I ran this evening after the sun dipped behind the buildings, but fortunately, the dew point had dropped to 62F, so it wasn't too bad.

In fact, it was probably more comfortable than my morning runs that had ~70F temperature w/ ~70F dew point (i.e., nearly 100% humidity), even though the misery index (= temperature + dew point) should be roughly the same.

Tomorrow will be roughly the same, but the rest of the week will be <80F temps with <60F dew points, i.e., "nice".

Amazing how we adapt, huh? Just took some learning, I guess.

High dew points = bad.

Direct sunlight = bad.

If I can avoid those, I'm golden.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I glimpse this thread title 'Running' and see your name beside it I think, Oh good, Kuwi wrote a poem about running.

:greenie

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
In other news, marathon pace is getting easier to find.

I just lean further forward at the hips, and start moving my legs fast enough to catch myself, but "effortlessly", i.e., without consciously trying to push off hard enough lengthen my stride.

At least, that's how feels.

Whenever I glimpse this thread title 'Running' and see your name beside it I think, Oh good, Kuwi wrote a poem about running.

:greenie

Actually, "21st Century Schizoid NDN" in AW Chapbook has a poem about running. Kind of. Scroll down to the one titled "Godling".

I'm not sure how quickly the poems will come. I've managed to wrap up my current project, but have run into some snags submitting the paper for publication, and I have to prepare for my prelim defense which is the week after the contest deadline.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was being somewhat frivolous and not even thinking of the contest. I know there is life beyond poetry. Take care of yours. (And thanks for the directions to your poem.)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice!

I'm getting back on the road - ran 9km last Saturday, with mixed results:

- I've been keen to improve, and am reading Born to Run (story of finding and learning from the Tarahumara people from Mexico, and the birth of the barefoot/minimalist running movement). So, I tried a change in technique.

- Positive: ran faster than last time, despite being a month between runs, two lingering colds, and eating pretty poorly. And it felt great. So I see promise in the changes.

- Negative: I wasn't ready. I got a stitch for the first time in years. And after three days, my calves are still so tight I can't really walk right. That's what you get for basically running on your toes with no training.

Anyway, on we go, and I'm here to listen and hang with runners. So yeah.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
- I've been keen to improve, and am reading Born to Run (story of finding and learning from the Tarahumara people from Mexico, and the birth of the barefoot/minimalist running movement). So, I tried a change in technique.

- Positive: ran faster than last time, despite being a month between runs, two lingering colds, and eating pretty poorly. And it felt great. So I see promise in the changes.

- Negative: I wasn't ready. I got a stitch for the first time in years. And after three days, my calves are still so tight I can't really walk right. That's what you get for basically running on your toes with no training.

Anyway, on we go, and I'm here to listen and hang with runners. So yeah.

I haven't actually read Born to Run yet, but I've embraced minimalism from the start. (I own three pairs of New Balance Minimus Zero v2, and they're the only shoes I run in now... I also have a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves for trails, but they're even more minimalist.)

So despite my relative inexperience, I feel I have some insight to offer here.

First of all, I hope "running on your toes" is an exaggeration, because a forefoot strike is not running on your toes. The only time you should be running on your toes is when you're sprinting all-out. Even with a forefoot or midfoot strike, your heel should still touch the ground before you push off again. Trying to run distance on your toes is a recipe for injury.

Second of all, don't worry too much about foot strike. Even if your heel touches first, what really matters is when your weight is shifted onto the leg of the striking foot. Touching the ground with your heel first is fine, as long as your midfoot and/or forefoot is also down by the time your weight shifts. If you watch videos of elite runners, their heel will often touch the ground first, but the midfoot and/or forefoot will also land before their weight shifts onto the leg.

All of this is essentially about preventing overstriding and improving cadence.

I don't know if you've gone to a minimalist shoe or not, but IMO what's more important than a "minimalist" shoe is heel-toe drop. You probably already know this, but most running shoes have an elevated heel, with up to 10mm of drop from the heel to the toes. The added cushioning and support on the heel can help prevent certain kinds of injuries, but also leads to weaker calf muscles, and can promote poor running form. Switching to zero-drop or low-drop (~4mm) running shoes may help with the transition to a better running form, but as you've learned, it demands stronger calf muscles, so transitioning should be done slowly and incrementally.

Personally, I still have trouble running correctly in traditional running shoes with a big heel-toe drop. After switching to minimalist shoes, my shin splints disappeared. However, I do understand the value of some cushioning when racking up the miles, so I plan to look into Altras when I get home to my local running store.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That makes every bit of sense, in the context of my experience. Thanks, man... I really appreciate the time and thought you've put into that post.

I may well have overemphasized the toe-first strike. But I'm sore, not injured - so it's a good lesson learned, and the price wasn't too high.

I'm still on traditional shoes (Sauconys, got them last year, not sure the model, and I still have a pair of ASICS Kayanos), and I'm eager to go minimalist - but wondering whether it will be best to go to an intermediate shoe first, or get a zero-drop shoe and ease them into the routine with shorter runs. Over here, running shoes start at about $180 a pair, so it's worth some thought. I'm going to sign up for a session or two with a running coach, I think.

I'm very much enjoying Born to Run - it gets better as it goes along. The early chapters read to me like the author's trying too hard to be buddies with the reader: too many flip, and even awkward, attempts at humor ("she was a biochemist and ran at lunch for excitement; I mean, how interesting can periodic tables be?"). But he settles down, and he's done his homework. It's a good mix of narrative and manifesto, and I'm trying to keep an open mind but not get swept away.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I may well have overemphasized the toe-first strike. But I'm sore, not injured - so it's a good lesson learned, and the price wasn't too high.

That's good. But yeah, I would definitely expect some calf soreness as you transition to a more forefoot/midfoot strike and/or a lower drop running shoe. As long as it's just soreness and not injury, all's well.

I'm still on traditional shoes (Sauconys, got them last year, not sure the model, and I still have a pair of ASICS Kayanos), and I'm eager to go minimalist - but wondering whether it will be best to go to an intermediate shoe first, or get a zero-drop shoe and ease them into the routine with shorter runs. Over here, running shoes start at about $180 a pair, so it's worth some thought. I'm going to sign up for a session or two with a running coach, I think.

From everything I've read, there's little-to-no benefit in running an "intermediate" shoe first. You'd still want to ease it into the intermediate shoe, too, so from my perspective, you might as well get the shoe you want and start easing into it now.

I want to emphasize the difference between minimalist and zero-drop. Altra makes zero-drop shoes but most of them are cushioned (i.e., not minimalist). Other shoes (e.g. most racing flats) are pseudo-minimal in that they have very little cushioning, but still have a traditional heel-toe drop. Still others (like the Nike Free line, which I wear as walking shoes) are branded as minimalist due to their design, but are both cushioned and have a heel-toe drop.

The advantage of zero-drop is strengthening the calf muscles and allowing a more natural foot strike, which mostly translates to less overstriding. Risk of certain injuries (such as my shin splints and runner's knee) can be decreased (assuming one does adapt his or her running form), while risk of others increases (such as calf injuries and Achilles/peroneal tendinitis) because of the increased strength required in other areas.

The advantage of less cushioning is better ground feel, which can allow more natural stability, since there are near-instantaneous reactions your foot and leg can make to lessen shock and improve stability when it can feel the terrain better at the moment of impact. From personal experience, I would say this is true (over questionable terrain, I'm ALWAYS better off letting my foot fall as it will and letting my body make adjustments naturally, versus consciously trying to adapt my footstrike or stride to adapt to it), but also only really useful if you are running on uneven or varying terrain.

When I get home next month, I plan trying to run in my traditional running shoes (NB 890s) again to see how they feel. If they feel okay, I'll probably get another pair of traditional running shoes with a slightly lower drop (4-6mm) to supplement. If the heel-toe drop still throws me off, I'll be trying on Altras at my LRS.

I like my Minimus, but I want to try some cushioning, too.

It's a good mix of narrative and manifesto, and I'm trying to keep an open mind but not get swept away.

It was inspired by a research paper (in Nature, I believe?) and like so often happens in science, the original research was overhyped and misinterpreted by the non-scientists. Still good, I'm sure, but why I'm wary despite probably seeming like a total convert if you just looked at my shoes.

Edit: Incidentally, I was beaten in last month's B.A.A. 10K by a barefoot runner. Not minimalist. Barefoot. On the crowded and congested rain-soaked streets of downtown Boston. I was standing next to him at the start, and lost him during the race, until he passed me around the 6 mile mark. Now personally, I love going barefoot, but I'm not that brave.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Phew. 14 miles on the Charles this evening. 10 miles yesterday.

>2 hours is a long time to be running...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Lol.

I guess I know I'm a runner when I ask the bartender to put on the Diamond League meet.

Speaking of which, anyone else watch Dibaba's AMAZING 1500m world record?

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Well, kuwisdelu, you are very motivating in general, so thanks for that :)

Did the 5 kilometres as anticipated very slow in 43 minutes. So, my Half Marathon time will still be ridiculously high. As anticipated. But it's motivating to see that my knee is holding up so far.

This week is 3 recovery runs of 30 minutes each and one longer run on Sunday, I think 50 minutes this time. It cooled down. So that's nice. Because me and the heat just don't go well together.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Take it easy, Snowflake. Staying uninjured is half the battle.

I almost forgot.

I saw a joggler on yesterday's run.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I run barefoot. Currently I do that on a surface that's part grass & part the gravel of a baseball diamond. I also walk barefoot on trails. Going barefoot will naturally modify your 'footstrike', especially if you do it on trails. Pine woods are really nice, but it does take some getting used to to tolerate walking on a pebble-y stretch of trail. That will really get you to shift your weight carefully along your feet. (I do a fairly short run w/ sprints peppered into it - maybe 20-30 minutes.)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Really interesting to read this thread! You've all inspired me to go out for a run today. I'm still a newbie at running, my pace is so embarrassing I can't even admit it, but I'm trying hard to get into the swing of things and build a steady pace. :D

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Really interesting to read this thread! You've all inspired me to go out for a run today. I'm still a newbie at running, my pace is so embarrassing I can't even admit it, but I'm trying hard to get into the swing of things and build a steady pace. :D

Don't worry about pace yet. Or distance. Focus on time spent running. A little longer each time.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, changing the way I lace my shoes really makes a comfort difference. They were beginning to feel too tight over the top of my feet, but now they feel just fine.

Also wow, changing whether the week starts on Sunday or Monday really makes a difference. Runkeeper defaults to Sunday like most calendars, so I was just going by that. I just uploaded all of my runs to Strava, too, which defaults to Monday, and suddenly my relatively sane weekly mileage buildup of 31>31>25>35>31>41>43>45 looks like a weird and erratic 33>30>22>38>31>43>31>60.

By one system, I haven't cracked 50 mpw. By the other, I've jumped to 60 mpw. O_O

(I actually realized this in the middle of today's long 15-miler. By my usual reckoning, it was the first run of this coming week, and last week I ran 45 mpw. But since I moved last week's Sunday long run to midweek to avoid the heat, all of that mileage was Mon-Sat, so if I counted a week as starting on Monday, I'd hit 60 mpw.)

My family is visiting this week, so I'll be taking it easy the rest of the week and probably won't be doing much running until Friday.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! Today's 15-miler was the full Emerald Necklace, which was one of my goals before leaving Boston.

Next week will be the full Charles River loop (17mi). Just have to figure out which day will have the best weather to do it...

Today's run was actually the more intimidating of the two for me, because its all downhill going out and uphill coming back, and there's only one water stop along the way (I carried my own and then stashed it at the 3mi/12mi point). There are plenty of water fountains along the Charles and its flat the whole way.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love the Charles - I've never seen the Emerald Necklace per se, but think I recall parts of it. I wasn't a runner when I lived in Boston, but did a few 5k-ish runs with a friend one autumn. That was mainly to offset the smokes I would have with him at the local wine bar (tip: do not go to a wine bar for coffee, unless the barmaid is incurably Irish and her sharp wit helps you ignore the coffee's taste).

I think I could run today at lunch, but will probably wait - my calves finally feel pain-free. Only took eight days... so I've set up a running assessment, and I'm looking for a physio to see whether I did any damage. Very happy that the pain's subsided, and all the more determined to start running again.

But I'll go a little easier on changing style - lesson learned, and bullet dodged (I hope).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I love the Charles

I don't know what it is about runners and bridges, but running full speed over the Harvard bridge in the middle of an easy run is so much fun!

But I'll go a little easier on changing style - lesson learned, and bullet dodged (I hope).

Be careful and good luck!

I'm now quite happy with my shoe choices, and since re-lacing solved my only complaints with my current NB Minimus Zero, I'm actually considering getting the Mizuno Wave Universe for my next shoes now. Lightest racing flats in existence. They're practical non-existent.

But yes, if you're used to traditional running shoes, more minimalist shoes should be introduced at about the same rate as if you were starting running all over again.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. My hip flexor doesn't really hurt anymore, but it's still tight and I'm apparently still compensating for it. Gah.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't run at all last week. Family visited, so we did touristy stuff all day long (whales!!!), and too tired to get up in the morning (plus it was horribly humid all last week). Hopefully the break does me more good than bad.

Looks like we're finally in our last really hot week of the summer. *knocks on wood*

Almost there...

I'm targeting Thursday as my 17mi run on the Charles to Watertown. Looks like rain. :tongue :D

Edit: 10mi this evening @ a blistering 8:40 pace. O_O

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.