Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
So the USATF Outdoor Track and Field Championships 2015 are this weekend. Anyone else watching? (You can watch live at http://www.usatf.tv)

The women's 10,000m was a particularly good race between Shalane Flannagan and Molly Huddle. The men's 10,000m was also interesting, with Galen Rupp toeing the line, with all the recent doping allegations against his coach Alberto Salazar.

In other news, I recently ran a rain-soaked B.A.A. 10K here in Boston. This seems to be a nice city for running. I hear they have a marathon? :tongue

So I know we got some other runners here on AW. What's up?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the 10K. Were you pleased with your time? (I'm not asking you to announce it, just your reaction to it.)

Maryn, too banged up to run

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the 10K. Were you pleased with your time? (I'm not asking you to announce it, just your reaction to it.)

46:21. Official splits: 5K: 23:30, 8K: 37:23. Overall: 692/5956. Gender: 560/2722. Division: 133/519. Bib 2936. It was a PR for me, but I was aiming for sub-45.

Like the winner, Daniel Salel in 28:09, I'll blame the rain: "The conditions were tough because the rain and it was humid, but we try our best," Salel said. "I think if it was not raining, we would have run a better time like 27:30."

But it's even worse in Eugene, OR, where the USATF Championships are being held. It's in the 90s. Ugh. And it'll likely be just as bad at the World Championships in Beijing in August.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'm good with running in a cool rain, but heat and humidity wipe me out. It can easily add a minute a mile to my time, if it's bad enough.

I don't do much racing these days (races in NYC are expensive and ridiculously crowded), but I am a faithful runner. I find it's not just good for my fitness, but also for my mood and my sleep. When I'm mad or upset or need to think something through, I generally find that I'm in a much better frame of mind after a good run.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm mad or upset or need to think something through, I generally find that I'm in a much better frame of mind after a good run.

This is what confuses me about people who run in traffic.

Stopping at stop lights pisses me off.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
This is what confuses me about people who run in traffic.

Stopping at stop lights pisses me off.

Yes, it's annoying. I live close to two big parks (Riverside and Central) -- a short jog, and I'm free of stoplights for my run. That's the main reason I won't consider moving downtown -- I insist on being within easy distance of the park.

I run about 3 to 6 miles a day. And in all honesty, I hate it.

Really? I genuinely love it! I pretty routinely get the runner's high thing. Sometimes I have an off day where I'm dragging my ass and have a crap run, but most of the time it's a very happy part of my day.

What do you hate about it?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's annoying. I live close to two big parks (Riverside and Central) -- a short jog, and I'm free of stoplights for my run. That's the main reason I won't consider moving downtown -- I insist on being within easy distance of the park.

That's part of why I got my airbnb right by Franklin Park. Being by the Charles River Esplanade downtown would have been cool, but expensiver.

But multiple laps of a 2 mile loop gets boring after a while, so I've started running the Emerald Necklace (a chain of parks starting with Franklin Park that goes all the way downtown) but there are gaps between the parks where I have to run through traffic.

Not fun.

Really? I genuinely love it! I pretty routinely get the runner's high thing. Sometimes I have an off day where I'm dragging my ass and have a crap run, but most of the time it's a very happy part of my day.

I'm still not sure if I've ever gotten a real runner's high or not.

It's tiring.

I hate hills. :tongue

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It's tiring.

- - - Updated - - -

An interesting thing for me -- I actually don't find it tiring. I breathe hard, yes, and it takes effort, but (now that I'm in shape), I nearly always feel better and more invigorated at the end of my run than I do at the beginning.

When I'm in marathon shape (I'm not at the moment), this is true even with runs of up to 18 miles or so. Somewhere, an old boyfriend has a picture of me at finishing a 20 mile trail fun with a big ass silly grin on my face.

ETA:

and I like hills. :chair

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
An interesting thing for me -- I actually don't find it tiring. I breathe hard, yes, and it takes effort, but (now that I'm in shape), I nearly always feel better and more invigorated at the end of my run than I do at the beginning.

When I'm in marathon shape (I'm not at the moment), this is true even with runs of up to 18 miles or so. Somewhere, an old boyfriend has a picture of me at finishing a 20 mile trail fun with a big ass silly grin on my face.

Easy runs are, well, easy.* Tempo runs are tiring.

and I like hills. :chair

I like what hills do for me. When I'm actually running up one, I'm usually cursing the whole time. Well, I would be cursing if I didn't have to breathe harder on hills.

*Except when those easy runs include hills. Like most of mine currently do.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'm still not sure if I've ever gotten a real runner's high or not.

It is a very pure, peaceful, elated feeling.

I am sure I will regret making this comparison, what with robo in the thread to never let me hear the end of it. But the closest thing I can compare it to is the calm, happy feeling after (not during!) an orgasm. Then again, I'm a chick. Maybe it's different for dudes. Orgasms I mean. Maybe running too. Whatever.

Anyway. Now you know why I run.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm trying to build mileage for a November marathon, and I'm hating the heat and humidity. Or rather, I'm hating trying to wake up early to try to avoid them. I am so not a morning person.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Awesome! Which marathon?

(Yes, it does suck that marathon training so often tends to require ramping up mileage during the hottest, most humid months.)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It is a very pure, peaceful, elated feeling.

I am sure I will regret making this comparison, what with robo in the thread to never let me hear the end of it. But the closest thing I can compare it to is the calm, happy feeling after (not during!) an orgasm. Then again, I'm a chick. Maybe it's different for dudes. Orgasms I mean. Maybe running too. Whatever.

Anyway. Now you know why I run.

Scientifically, that makes sense, since it's caused by a rush of endorphins and endocannabinoids after about 40 minutes to an hour of medium-hard running.

Things definitely start getting easier and feeling better around the 40 minute mark for me, but I'm not sure it's a full-on runner's high with the endorphins and all.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! Which marathon?

Indianapolis Monumental. My mom's run it for the past several years, and my parents live only about fifteen minutes from downtown.

It goes almost as far north as my high school, but not quite.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Indianapolis Monumental. My mom's run it for the past several years, and my parents live only about fifteen minutes from downtown.

It goes almost as far north as my high school, but not quite.

Awesome, kuwi! How great if your mom does it, too.

Have you done any marathons before?

I've done the NYC marathon twice. It's a great experience, but if I do another, I think I'll make it in a scenic countryside area, just for the change. And I've done a pile of half marathons in NYC and elsewhere. The most fun was in Amish country -- the Bird in Hand half. I highly recommend it. Beautiful countryside, not very crowded, staffed by friendly Amish folks, and there's a fair beforehand with Amish crafts and foods. And then after the race, you can go to one of those crazy all-you-can-eat Amish restaurants and feel like you've actually earned the calories. The one I went to had really, really good food.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, kuwi! How great if your mom does it, too.

Have you done any marathons before?

Nope.

Only started running this February. Originally it was to lose weight, but now I want to be that fast Zuni boy.

Meeting Billy Mills might've had something to do with it, too.

My goals include:
-Qualifying for the Boston Marathon
-Qualifying for the NYC marathon (for guaranteed entry)
-Winning the Shiprock Marathon and making the Navajos say "look at that Zuni boy, he's so fast."

I've got a long way to go...

Edit: For some background on that last goal... "Zuni" is actually a family name in my tribe. I'm part of that family (albeit distantly). In our language, we call ourselves "a:shiwi". But our tribe got its Western name from an intertribal race. There was a Zuni boy (his family name was Zuni) who won the race by such a margin that the people from the other tribes were saying "look at that Zuni boy run; he's so fast." Henceforth, our tribe was known after him. Hence my goal.

Edit 2: I probably sound crazy. I dream big, but I don't know any other way. :D

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It doesn't sound crazy to me at all. And FWIW, I ran my first marathon about a year after I started running. I did my first twelve miler a couple of months after starting, and enjoyed it, and thought "well, fuck it, I'll run a marathon."

You might well find you enjoy running more as you spend more time doing it. That's what happened for me. I started because someone suggested running in early morning might help my chronic insomnia (it does, by the way). And a couple months in, I realized I liked doing it. I didn't get my first runners high until a couple of months in, either.

By the way, another thing I kind of get a kick out of -- maybe the only thing I really like about hot weather running. I enjoy it when I run hard in hot weather and get a crust of salt on my skin. No other exercise seems to do that for me (just as nothing else gives me the same high).

OK, I'm definitely weird. But you knew that.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't sound crazy to me at all. And FWIW, I ran my first marathon about a year after I started running. I did my first twelve miler a couple of months after starting, and enjoyed it, and thought "well, fuck it, I'll run a marathon."

Oh, I didn't mean the running the marathon part. I meant how fast I want to become.

You might well find you enjoy running more as you spend more time doing it. That's what happened for me. I started because someone suggested running in early morning might help my chronic insomnia (it does, by the way). And a couple months in, I realized I liked doing it. I didn't get my first runners high until a couple of months in, either.

Oh, I already enjoy it. I knew the only way I'd stick with it was if I decided I'd enjoy it.

And like I said, I often do start feeling quite good around the 40 minute mark, especially if the weather's nice with a cool breeze, just not quite orgasmic yet. But after all, that's quite a high standard.

By the way, another thing I kind of get a kick out of -- maybe the only thing I really like about hot weather running. I enjoy it when I run hard in hot weather and get a crust of salt on my skin. No other exercise seems to do that for me (just as nothing else gives me the same high).

Oh, I hate that! Salt crystals=chafing. (Incidentally, that happens because your sweat is highly concentrated and can't evaporate anymore — it happens when it's very humid or when you aren't getting enough water.)

...So I'm at 35 miles per week now...hoping to double that by October.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't mean the running the marathon part. I meant how fast I want to become.

Oh, I already enjoy it. I knew the only way I'd stick with it was if I decided I'd enjoy it.

And like I said, I often do start feeling quite good around the 40 minute mark, especially if the weather's nice with a cool breeze, just not quite orgasmic yet. But after all, that's quite a high standard.

Oh, I hate that! Salt crystals=chafing. (Incidentally, that happens because your sweat is highly concentrated and can't evaporate anymore — it happens when it's very humid or when you aren't getting enough water.)

...So I'm at 35 miles per week now...hoping to double that by October.

I know I'm a freak liking the salt thing. I just think it's cool. I dunno why.

I don't tend to chafe much, except around the running bra area. But I can tell you that body glide is the magic bullet.

I'm sure you've already heard this, but I'll say it anyway. Be careful when ramping up your mileage that high that quickly. I won't say don't do it, but do listen to your body and back off a bit if you find you need to do so. Some people do fine ramping up quickly to high mileage, but a lot of people (even young people) start breaking down, which can get ugly. Stress fractures are not a happy thing. (Even Lance Armstrong got stress fractures when training for the NYC marathon. He was in damn fucking fine shape, obviously. But he wasn't used to the pounding on the pavement, which is harder on your body than you might think. I have never had a stress fracture, but some of my running friends have, and they suck.)

I have no problems at all with mileage of 35-40 a week, plus cross-training. Knees, ankles, joints are all fine. I got to that level pretty quickly, as you did. But once I get to around 50 running miles a week, I find I have to start ramping more slowly and taking better care of myself after runs. YMMV -- some people have a higher threshold, and many have a lower threshold. Running is awesome, but running injuries decidedly are not. You'll learn soon enough what your own body can handle.

Running books generally advise building your mileage no more than 10% a week. I think people differ so much that it's hard to give blanket advice like that. I found I could build faster than that, up to a point. (I think I've got good biomechanics. My brother is also a distance runner, and my dad was athletic in his day. That helps. My brother in his days as a state champion ran about 100 miles a week!) But I do know a LOT of people who got too enthusiastic too quickly and had problems.

So anyway -- listen to your body if it tells you to go easier or take a break. It's not wimping out or holding back your training -- it's being smart. Other than that, I say have fun and go for it!

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I have no problems at all with mileage of 35-40 a week, plus cross-training. Knees, ankles, joints are all fine.

Cross training is unbelievably great for running. When I was a teen, I couldn't run any distance without knee or hip aches. Then in college I took a body building class for credits. Lo and behold, after about two months of doing serious squats, I could run. And run. And....

Oh, and I get the runner's high too. When running and lifting weights.

Status
Not open for further replies.