Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Phew. Three weeks of rest better be enough. Time to get back on the wagon.

I tried running a week after the marathon and realized I had injured myself. ITBS. After that attempt, my IT band hurt going down stairs again for a few days. Took it as an excuse to be lazy. Another two weeks of lazy.

But enough's enough. Ran again today. Just barely 3 miles, but it took a lot out of me. My aerobic fitness has definitely suffered. Of course, it could also be that I'm up at 6,300 feet in Zuni again. The soft dirt roads out here home on the rez felt like the perfect way to start running again, but my lungs definitely suffered for it.

IT band felt a little tight, but didn't hurt at all, so that's good. Hopefully it continues to hold up. My right foot has started hurting lately after walking a few miles, but it doesn't bother me when running. What's up with that? I hope it's okay, too.

Going to try to run again tomorrow, then probably won't get a chance over the weekend with Shalako and all.

InBloom

Registered
Reaction score
I run from the bed to the refrigerator, realize there's nothing I want in there, run back to bed, and repeat it all over again ten minutes later.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
So. Here it is. 2016.

I've barely run since my marathon last November which left me with ITBS. I took a few weeks to recover, but found it difficult to get back into it during the winter holidays and ensuing months.

With Spring approaching, can I get back in shape from basically nothing for a May half marathon in six weeks? Let's find out!

How will my performance compare to my peak last October?

How much will 3 months of estrogen slow me down?

What color Apple Watch Sport band will make me fastest?

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to watching the 2016 US Marathon Trials.

Wow, Amy Cragg and Galen Rupp. I was not expecting them to win. Especially Galen. I knew he's proven on the track, but what a debut.

(I figured Shalane and Meb had one more win in them. I'm glad they both made the team. Their fourth Olympic team! Holy crap! Meb is ending his career in style.)

The camaraderie between Amy and Shalane until almost the end was amazing.

I'm happy Desi Linden made the team again, and I hope she has a better time at the Olympics this year. She deserves it.

Even though Kara Goucher came in that fourth spot and just missed the team, it was a great showing for her. She's back.

And Jared Ward is moving up.

Also finally read about Ryan Hall's retirement.

That's too bad. But low testosterone is a helluva lack-of-drug.

(Says the girl on anti-androgens.)

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've finally given up on Runkeeper for my mobile app needs (at least until they shape up), and switched to Strava for the time being. I was already syncing my runs to Strava since I prefer their training log view anyway.

I wanted to support Runkeeper since they're the smaller player, but since their last major update, their Apple Watch app has been a mess. Half the time it will crash on the watch or won't sync with the phone or both. Used to work great. Not anymore.

Took Strava's Apple Watch app for a run today on a 5-miler. Worked perfectly the first time. So far, I'm liking that it displays my current split pace rather than average pace, too. Hopefully it keeps playing nice.

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I had to switch from Runkeeper to Strava last month. The latest Runkeeper updates (Android for me, bog standard Nexus 5 phone) have been incredibly unstable, and it kept failing to track completely, or failing to save runs. I was losing more runs than it was ever saving.

Strava has been a ton better so far. Far more stable, less bloated, and none of Runkeeper's annoying notifications and e-mails.

--

I tried to keep up my jogging earlier this year, but I have to face facts: I'm too damn injured to do it. After 30 seconds of very gentle jogging, no matter what I do to prep before or after, my calves go rock-hard and excruciatingly painful. The calf tightness problem started when I started running three years ago, and this is the worst it's been.

Foam rolling doesn't help, or stretching, or pace and form changes, or fancy new shoes. 3 years of trying to find the magic trick to pain-free jogging, and it only gets worse. I'm a little disheartened by it all.

I've got a deep tissue sports massage booked at the end of the month, and if that doesn't help, I'm out of options. All the symptoms line up for compartment syndrome but there's zero hope I'll get that tested on the NHS, they'll take one look at me and say it's a weight issue. If the massage can't help, I'll have to switch to focusing on bicycles for cardio.

Bleeeehhhh.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I ran 23K yesterday. I'll probably do the same today. I do at least 15K a day...but mostly between 20-30K. I run from 4am-5am and then I run again in the evening...depending on my schedule, often for an hour to 2 hours. Sometimes I run in the gym on the treadmill...sometimes I run downtown. But I always run. :)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh yeah, this is predominantly an American site. I ran just over 14 miles yesterday. (-:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, this is predominantly an American site. I ran just over 14 miles yesterday. (-:

Given the predominance of 5Ks and 10Ks, I figure runners should be able to convert okay. :tongue

Well, okay, I still struggle if you give me pace in min/km.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to keep up my jogging earlier this year, but I have to face facts: I'm too damn injured to do it. After 30 seconds of very gentle jogging, no matter what I do to prep before or after, my calves go rock-hard and excruciatingly painful. The calf tightness problem started when I started running three years ago, and this is the worst it's been.

Foam rolling doesn't help, or stretching, or pace and form changes, or fancy new shoes. 3 years of trying to find the magic trick to pain-free jogging, and it only gets worse. I'm a little disheartened by it all.

I've got a deep tissue sports massage booked at the end of the month, and if that doesn't help, I'm out of options. All the symptoms line up for compartment syndrome but there's zero hope I'll get that tested on the NHS, they'll take one look at me and say it's a weight issue. If the massage can't help, I'll have to switch to focusing on bicycles for cardio.

Bleeeehhhh.

Ouch. That sucks. Mysterious calf pain is a new one to me. I thought compartment syndrome typically presented as pain in the front part of the leg, often confused with shin splints, rather than calf pain. Hmm. Have you tried strengthening exercises? I can't think of anything else that might help. I'm sorry. :(

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently girls' running tights don't take into consideration girls' penises.

Everything gets discombobulated.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Apparently girls' running tights don't take into consideration girls' penises.

Everything gets discombobulated.

girls' printed jeans are pretty much the same.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Speaking of pounding the pavement, am I the only one who doesn't appreciate footwear? I walked the Camino de Santiago barefoot. I try to do a lot of my running/jogging barefoot too. Or, at the very least with minimalist footwear. This is what I've been wearing...

https://www.instagram.com/p/5FFzApPaGS/?taken-by=kevinthomascraig

I love my Zems!

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Gimme shoes any time. I have tender feet. Walking barefoot is fine indoors, on soft grass, or on sand that isn't excruciatingly hot.

I'm OK with minimalist shoes for walking. I found they did not work for me for running (at least not city running on hard pavement).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I was really into minimalist shoes for a while. Nowadays I tend to run in shoes with a variety of drops and cushioning.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I got some really stiff-soled shoes (Saucony Phoenix 8s) after the nearest running shop that does gait analyses. He showed me a video of my gait before and after and they did seem to have a nice effect, stopped my ankles flexing so badly! I miss the nice flexible soles of my ol' faithfuls though.

Ouch. That sucks. Mysterious calf pain is a new one to me. I thought compartment syndrome typically presented as pain in the front part of the leg, often confused with shin splints, rather than calf pain. Hmm. Have you tried strengthening exercises? I can't think of anything else that might help. I'm sorry. :(

I'm doing strengthening exercises like crazy, have been for a while, but I haven't been able to see any positive effect. The pain increases have been coming fast, though, so it might be doing good that I just can't see.

Feeling a bit less melancholy about it this evening -- I'm still going to need to focus elsewhere for a while, but I'm hoping if I keep up the cardio and full-body weights routines, and shake off a few pounds and strengthen the surrounding muscles, I'll be able to reach a point where running gets easier.

Sorry for the maudlin post, it's just frustrating to see my progress moving *backwards*! I really like running, I just wish it liked me. :)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Yeah, I took two and a half months off over winter. Day 1 and it was back with a vengeance after two minutes warm-up. I am cursed.

There are not enough sad anime gifs in the world to cope with my angst.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Augh.

Of course, good running weather remains a unicorn.

Spring launches us straight from the high 30s and low 40s to the mid 70s.

Not more than a day or two of nice 50s sunshine.

This is why we can't have nice things.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I did 10K before 5am. I should have gone to Boston today! (-:

Status
Not open for further replies.