Same Sex Marriage is 14th Amendment Right.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of things turned around for me today for the positive in my personal life, my business, and this...this is the icing on the proverbial cake.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So does this mean we're now going to take up the fight of equal employment and housing laws? This is great and everything, but there are still too many states where you can get fired for being gay.

The Supreme Court has ruled and gay marriage is now legal. Now available in America. No, one ruling doesn't settle all fights any more than Brown v. Board of Education ended all discrimination against Blacks. Change is slow, gradual and incremental and you bet those forces which were aligned against same sex marriage will not go quietly. How will this ruling be enforced in states which drag their feet or outright refuse to abide by the decision?

But that's tomorrow's fight and after that day there will be another fight. That's the only way any rights are won. Not by waiting on the world to change but by changing the world.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I am not one to gloat, and was too happy this morning, but I am now reading some of the dissent comments and negative reaction and I am alternating between snort-laughing and shrugging. I am saving Scalia's dissent, which from the snippets I have read is unhinged, for later.

Yeah, the dissenting opinions will be enlightening. They will also, I'd bet, become the defining statements of those Justice's careers.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great news! Congratulations to all marriage-minded same-sex couples. I wish you and your families great joy and happiness.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I am not one to gloat, and was too happy this morning, but I am now reading some of the dissent comments and negative reaction and I am alternating between snort-laughing and shrugging. I am saving Scalia's dissent, which from the snippets I have read is unhinged, for later.

Also hilarious.

Justice Antonin Scalia said he was not concerned so much about same-sex marriage but about ‘‘this court’s threat to American democracy.’’

And the good Chief Justice seems to have missed the point entirely.

[...] Whether same-sex marriage is a good idea should be of no concern to us. [...]

I nibble on my dog all the time. Mostly the ears. She has yummy ears.

I think that might qualify as news...

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Woke up to hear on the radio some people yelling and crying - I wasn't sure of the outcome - took a minute before it was explained -

:snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

and I was so relieved. I really wasn't sure which way it would go - and apparently it was close to going the other way -

In oral arguments last April, Kennedy expressed reservations about changing the traditional definition of marriage to include LGBT people and seemed to suggest that the court should allow the American public to continue debating the relatively new concept.

<>

But Kennedy was swayed by the fact that hundreds of thousands of married same-sex couples already exist and that they — and their children — are being treated differently by the law when they move to a state that doesn’t recognize their union. The states in the case also had trouble articulating why they had a compelling reason to deny that recognition, saying only that it was in the interest of children to only allow couples of the opposite sex to marry.

5-4 - so close - it could have gone the other way easily. I wish the vote had been more emphatic - 6-3, 7-2 - but victory is here, and that's the most important thing.

So does this mean we're now going to take up the fight of equal employment and housing laws? This is great and everything, but there are still too many states where you can get fired for being gay.

Yes, I have a close relative in one of those states. So now he can marry a partner, but then get fired for it. I just heard Obama say on tv, "This journey often comes in small increments ... propelled by the persistence efforts of dedicated citizens."

The journey is not over - but we can go on with more joyous steps.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
10406970_10155786741585077_1467133540830826958_n.jpg

So Oprah can finally marry Gayle? :Hug2:

About damn time!

Last edited:

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
I know it's uncharitable and un-Christian of me, but my ruling emotion today is a feeling of deep satisfaction over the bile-choking of the Scalias, Jindals, Walkers, Huckabees, and others of their ilk, who just can't believe that this country is no longer being forced to live by the rules they prefer.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I know it's uncharitable and un-Christian of me, but my ruling emotion today is a feeling of deep satisfaction over the bile-choking of the Scalias, Jindals, Walkers, Huckabees, and others of their ilk, who just can't believe that this country is no longer being forced to live by the rules they prefer.
You're not alone.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Every time I think I've absorbed this, I read another tweet or see another picture, and I start blubbering again.

:partyguy: Here's to LOVE and CELEBRATION and EQUALITY and IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME. :partyguy:

:TheWave:

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet Jesus on a bicycle, Fox News comments section is on fire!

America is in for some tough times
Next it will be Americans Guns

I didn't know guns got married.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score

I think it's a rude awakening for many people. They've had their way for so long they just took it for granted as their "rights." Their rights to discriminate, condemn, and make life miserable for others with different religious beliefs.

I remember a few years ago at my job a co-worker said something about "Christian something" and I said it didn't apply to me - and she was amazed - not sure if she'd ever met someone who wasn't a Christian. Or maybe that someone could be honorable, respectable, and nice without being a Christian.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Has Rick Scarborough scheduled his bonfire yet?

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, Bob Jindal. As a male friend of mine likes to say, "Sexuality and religion are both basic freedoms. But, I wouldn't shove my cock down your throat, so please don't shove your religion down mine."

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com

You're not alone.

Indeed.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, silly man Bobby Jindal, is pitching a fit over this. One part of the article gave me pause -

I mean, what action could he take? Is there anything governors can do about this?

He, Scalia, and others of their ilk can whinge like little bitches.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Posted by Bobby Jindal
The Supreme Court decision today conveniently and not surprisingly follows public opinion polls, and tramples on states' rights that were once protected by the 10th Amendment of the Constitution.

It's amazing how so many of these people who should know better don't realize that, where they conflict, the 14th Amendment supercedes the 10th Amendment. Because it's the more recent one.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Christ, Pride is going to be fucking NUTS this weekend. I read an article where organizers said they were expecting an increase of about 100,000 attendees if the SCOTUS ruled in favor of same-sex marriage (I've always joked that with the sheer number of people who attend, we could incorporate and form our own small town).

About 10 minutes later...

This also seems appropriate in a sarcastic kinda way for today: The Go-Go's wonder if The World Lost Its Head. (When the number of states where same-sex marriage began a sudden increase, rhythm guitarist Jane Wiedlin became an ordained minister specifically so she could oversee marriages between same-sex couples, the band always loving and supportive of their QUILTBAG fans).

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
A week ago I was told that the sister of an old high school friend lives down the street from my parent's old house. I wanted to make contact with the friend since I haven't seen or heard from her since high school. The friend's sister is 62 now--a tough old bird, widowed twice, tattoos, drives a shiny pick up, lives in a small house but with a great standard poodle and a neat garden. I spotted her out in her yard and walked down the street to talk. She was not forthcoming about Friend's location but I had heard she lived in Florida, close to a daughter of mine. I said as much. Friend's sister turned to me with a fist on her hip, "She's gay. How are you going to handle that?"

I had to laugh out loud. Caught me completely by surprise but then, thinking back on our summer of working, playing softball together, it all clicked. She was a cute, skinny little blond tomboy. I bit my lip and then named another girl on the softball team. Sister laughed and said, "They broke up years ago." I said "Damn. I would have stayed with her, she was hot and rich!" We had a good talk after that but it struck me at the time, the hand on the hip and the gruff, almost confrontational question--even five years ago that question would not have been asked. I would have been told "She doesn't ever come back. She doesn't talk to anyone from here." So many kids I went to school with in the sixties "never come back." maybe now they will! --s6

Last edited: