Are table of contents sill okay in a novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonS

Registered
Reaction score
I created a table of contents with chapter titles describing the chapters in my thriller book. A beta reader came back saying it was at best sophomoric if not insulting in an adult book.

I'm honestly lost on this issue. I know when I see a long list of: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, etc. it seems like a waste of space because I can never remember what chapter I am on, or what number is about what. But the title in a TOC gives me a clue as to what I was reading if I need to find my place.

Is there a current convention or agreement?

What are your thoughts?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts are that it's not necessary. I need only a bookmark to keep my place. I'm unlikely to refer to a table of contents at all in a work of fiction. (Nonfiction is another matter.) Like your beta, it feels inappropriate to me for a novel intended for adult readers.

Maryn, just one opinion

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I use the table of contents in e-books to jump to a particular chapter sometimes. I do a lot of bookmarking and highlighting of particular passages when I read e-books (for later reference, or examples of a great way of putting something), but sometimes I "lose" them when I'm doing word searches or something.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
It really depends - like Roxxmom mentioned, tables of contents in e-books can make for easier navigation. And if you have titled chapters, a ToC at the start can help set the mood and whet the reader's appetite. So they can still serve a purpose, even if they aren't strictly necessary.

Marianne Kirby

Blue Hair, Don't Care
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.xojane.com
Honestly, I wouldn't even sweat it. You're still writing the thing and you aren't going to compile a TOC when you send the manuscript to an agent or to your eventual hypothetical publisher. If your publisher wants to include a TOC, that's something that'll happen later.

I title my chapters but it's almost like I'm creating an outline while I draft. I'm not hugely attached to them though, so if the decision is made to scrap them, eh.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Table of contents in novels vanished because almost no one used them, at least on the first read. They're pretty much useless in novels now because it's so easy to search an e-book that a table of contents is no longer the easiest way to find something.

I wouldn't call a table of contents sophomoric, but I would find it useless, and it would make me think the writer didn't read many novels.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I use them when reading, and I include them when writing. Author's choice. Let the Force guide you.

-Derek

LJackson

Registered
Reaction score
I dislike chapter 1, 2, 3, and so on when I read, and when I write. It seems a total waste of space to me. So I'm going to use it, regardless whether anyone gets out of joint because of it.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't even sweat it. You're still writing the thing and you aren't going to compile a TOC when you send the manuscript to an agent or to your eventual hypothetical publisher. If your publisher wants to include a TOC, that's something that'll happen later.

Seconding this. Title your chapters however you want to title them. If it helps you to add a table of contents to your manuscript, then do it, but know that it is neither required nor expected.

If you are trade published, your publisher will have a say on chapter titles and the table of contents. If you self-publish, you can pretty much do whatever you want, though again, tables of contents are not standard for novels in print form. They are standard in ebooks.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
IIRC, Amazon requires ebooks to have a "TOC" bookmark in them (or they used to, anyway). I have always put tables of contents in my Kindle-published books.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Self-pub note. I use Sigil to convert my Word MSs to epub ebook format for Apple and B&N. It automatically creates a table of contents.

(I then use Calibre to translate that to Amazon's ebook format. The TOC is automatically included.)

Readers can then use the TOC or ignore it.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I'd agree - not required in a print book, not for a novel anyway. In something like a collection of short stories, maybe it would be useful. But otherwise, leave it out.

For ebooks it's definitely useful, letting readers get around quickly. When I've been reading the A Song of Ice and Fire books I've been using the TOC to look at remaining chapters as I get near the end, to see if there are any more chapters for a character (the chapter names are just the name of the POV character for that chapter) or if their part of the story is going to be left hanging until the next book!

Even if you don't plan to put in a TOC, it can be useful when you're writing to use the "Header" styles to format your chapter headings, so you can use the Document Map - which lets you get around quick when you're working on it. And is a handy place to check you don't have two chapters with the same number or have missed a number out.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I dislike chapter 1, 2, 3, and so on when I read, and when I write. It seems a total waste of space to me. So I'm going to use it, regardless whether anyone gets out of joint because of it.

What seems a total waste of space? Probably just me, but I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, not just you - the post doesn't make sense. LJackson appreantly doesn't like chapter headings and the whatever page of blank space with that, and is defiantly going to use a ToC.

Except, if you don't have chapter headings, then what exactly is the ToC referencing. XD

LJackson

Registered
Reaction score
What seems a total waste of space? Probably just me, but I have no idea what you're trying to say.

That should teach me not to post with three hours of sleep, and sitting in the hospital waiting room. Anyway, what I meant was those table of contents with chapter 1...page x, chapter 2... page y, and so on and so forth.

JasonS

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! A lot of helpful responses - thank you everyone. This has been very helpful.

It looks like the consensus is, include the TOC with descriptive titles in ebooks and leave them out of the hard copy. I hadn't considered a different approach for the different formats. The reasons shown here for both inclusion in the ebook, and exclusion in the paper book make good sense. As a newbie self publisher, with more control than experience, I greatly appreciate your sharing your point of view and experience.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I like tables of contents in paper books too. Makes it easier to go back later and find a particular passage or section of a book I've already read and want to examine again or share with someone else.

I can't think of a reason to leave one out, unless the publisher is trying to save a couple of sheets of paper. Having said this, I don't have tables of contents in my novel manuscripts. I figure that's for the publisher to put in, if I ever get one. The pagination wouldn't be set until it goes to press anyway.

Last edited:

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
ToCs are useful, but not necessary. With paper books, they'd go to a page. With ebooks, to a link in the file. Whether they're useful and desirable for your particular book is up to you (and possibly the layout standards of some future publisher).

Rizzi

Banned
Reaction score
I find it neither sophomoric nor insulting.

Last edited:

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Since Amazon wants one in Kindle books, they get one. CreateSpace has a TOC in their template, or at least they did when I did the dead-tree edition of The Sad Girl, so I left it in. I'll probably not do it in later books.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a current convention or agreement?

What are your thoughts?

I have read any number of books intended for adults that had chapter titles and a ToC. I don't see a problem with it.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
It seems a non-issue for paper books. If it's there, fine. Some of us might use it, some not. No need for anyone to get all huffy about it. In an e-book, I want one 'cause I'm always getting lost and I do not find it easy to search.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
It seems a non-issue for paper books. If it's there, fine. Some of us might use it, some not. No need for anyone to get all huffy about it. In an e-book, I want one 'cause I'm always getting lost and I do not find it easy to search.

Good point. They don't always want to scroll gracefully to the spot you want, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.