Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Kensington Gore Publishing

figuring it all out

Kensington Gore Publishing

British-based horror publisher who are open to submissions: http://www.kensingtongorepublishing....ons/4585740908 They see to have a fair few authors already on their books, but I can't find much about them elsewhere. Anyone had any dealings with them before?

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    The first red flag I see when checking under "Book Covers" are words like this:

Work closely with our team of highly professional cover designers. Get a top profesional cover from as little as 50/$70.
    So they charge for covers and they don't proofread their own copy (and lest you think I'm picking on them for a typo, the entire site is littered with these kinds of mistakes).

Second red flag is the lack of any real people, with job titles and publishing experience listed, in their "About" section. Instead, there's this:

We treat each and every individual writer as though they are part of our family.

At the moment we have a small family of writers totalling seven, but we are growing day by day.

We are looking to take on new writers but they have to fit our family mold. We look for quality, creative writers that have their own writing voice and have something interesting to say.

If you are interested in becoming a part of our family of writers please see our submissions page.
    I'm not interested in being part of a "family" when I look for a publisher. I'm looking for experienced professionals who will know how to edit, produce and market my book so it gets in front of the optimum number of readers, resulting in money in my pocket.

I think what we have here is an author services/vanity hybrid masquerading as a small trade publisher.
    KINGLET: Coming in August 2017 from Fiery Seas Publishing!
    FISKUR: Releasing November 2017 from Fiery Seas!

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

paranormal erotic romance gingerwoman's Avatar
    I think Kensington Publishing Corp which is a long standing US publisher might be unhappy with the name.
    Paranormal Romance -Menage - Erotic Romance from Samhain Publishing 4th place for Best Published Paranormal in the Passionate Plume award.

Read the blurb for Wicked Safari and buy it here.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
    http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/

*lurk*
    Yeah, and their covers are nothing to write home about. I'm also baffled by the huge amount of white space at the bottom of every page. That and the overly large graphics (like the front page image). And "family" mentioned in literally every paragraph of their "About" blurb?

Is "Kensington Gore" possibly the pen name of one of the authors/editors/something? Some of their book covers have it listed like it is. For a minute I thought this was related to the more well-known Kensington Publishing Corp.
    Twitter: @tiakall

The name makes it sound like it's a Kensington imprint. Hopefully people will do their research.

Website
    Twitter
    Facebook
    ALL My Books
    Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight is---'An explosive mix of gangsters, guns, monsters, magic and mayhem, with dark and gritty action that right-hooks you from page one. Wonderful!' --- Suzanne McLeod, author of the Spellcrackers urban fantasy series.

practical experience, FTW greendragon's Avatar
    Kensington Gore is the name of a couple of streets in London.
    Christy Jackson Nicholas

http://www.greendragonartist.com
    Misfortune of Vision - On Contract! * Misfortune of Song - Beta * Misfortune of Time - Percolating

Kensington Gore is the pen name of a former Hammer Horror director who now writes horror. He's trying to branch out to publishing.
    "If I had a penny for my thoughts, I'd be a millionaire." - Ad Rock

Now with more stubble VeryBigBeard's Avatar
    Some of the pages, notably this one, feature some absolutely amazing formatting. Yes, there is text there.

They post excerpts on some of their author pages. I recommend you read them, if the title bars haven't been placed over the authors' text. I don't want to disparage the writing--it varies as all writing does. What I do not see is any trace of editing or submission standards, let alone marketing or presentation know-how on the part of the publisher.

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    On my tablet, the only page that shows anything readable is the submissions page.

And they don't have their own domain for emails? Submissions sent to a yahoo.co.uk address? In my early days I was willing to take chances on young startups. No longer.

I wish them well, but not with my manuscript unless I see more encouraging developments.

ETA Tricked the tablet into displaying the pages. It all looks like pretty standard "hobby" publishing; someone with an idea and a passion, but little else. The Amazon ranks of the books I looked at indicate very few if any sales.
    Last edited by Chris P; 06-25-2015 at 10:41 PM.
    Join any time! Take the 2017 AW Reading Challenge. Pick 12 books from a list of topics and read/discuss with us throughout the year.

practical experience, FTW
    It looks like the charging for book covers is actually a sideline, not that they're charging their writers for book covers.

The confusion is that they're using the ones they made for the publisher as samples.

That said, I can get a nicer cover for not much more for ebook and quite a bit less for paperback - and that's the prices they "start" at.

I agree, though. When they can't spell "author" I question the quality of their editing.
    Find my work here: http://www.jenniferrpovey.com/

TRANSPECIAL - Humanity Fired First.
    The Silent Years - when the world ends, how will you survive?

paranormal erotic romance gingerwoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CheG View Post
    The name makes it sound like it's a Kensington imprint. Hopefully people will do their research.
    That's why I opened the thread because that's what I thought it was.
    Paranormal Romance -Menage - Erotic Romance from Samhain Publishing 4th place for Best Published Paranormal in the Passionate Plume award.

Read the blurb for Wicked Safari and buy it here.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
    http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/