Author Photos and branding

Wordnut

Registered
Reaction score
Terry Pratchett had a particular look. He had a well-trimmed beard, dressed mostly in black and wore a fedora.

George RR Martin's beard is less well-trimmed. He's also usually seen wearing a hat, but he adds characteristic suspenders and oversized glasses to his image.

My branding game is not in their league. Mostly, the only image of me that's out there is my author photo - and that's fairly bland. It's a studio portrait thing that doesn't show much character.

I'm a novelist. Bland and characterless aren't how I want (or need) to be perceived. I would prefer thoughtful or even mysterious - but definitely intelligent and insightful.

So I've had some photos taken by a photographer friend. You can see them here.

What do you think? What are your thoughts around author photos in general?

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I would say that I don't put much stock in author photos, but I do tend to remember them, and I do enjoy seeing them at the back of a book, so I could be wrong in how useful they are. What kind of genre are you going for? The full-color studio photo seems more business-professional. The color dramatic lighting photo seems more warm but mysterious, while the black and white one seems more... mysterious? I don't like that one as much, but I think that may be a rule-of-thirds thing. Personally, I like the color one with the shadows best. It has both the thoughtful and mysterious aspects. :)

Granted, I currently use a black and white author photo that may or may not actually look like me, due to the lighting.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am not sure I would call aspects of appearance that are I fact just how those people are part of some kind of conscious "branding". Both of those authors look the same candid as they do posed, for the most part.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I am not sure I would call aspects of appearance that are I fact just how those people are part of some kind of conscious "branding". Both of those authors look the same candid as they do posed, for the most part.

Actually, this is a good point. When I went to ConQuest this year, both G.R.R. Martin and Brandon Sanderson were there. I'd seen photos of them before, and they looked about the same in real life. Granted, authors could consciously choose to dress and present themselves to the public in a certain way, so it's something to consider, but perhaps just having a nice picture will do the trick for looking professional. After all, the story is what you want to sell, not your picture. :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Just went through this myself a couple of weeks ago. I had some similar concerns, but I also had the issue of not wanting a "feminine" pose. In the end I went with a pretty traditional head shot. I don't know if it's compelling or memorable, but it does look the way I look in real life, which was important to me. I'm just starting down this branding road, and the more natural it feels, the easier I suspect it will be to cultivate.

On your photos: I really like the first one. Makes you look like someone I'd want to sit and chat with, and certainly someone who might have written an interesting novel. (Plus I'm fond of black and white.)

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I like the third photo, on the right. I think the chiaroscuro lighting is effective, and you look thoughtful. The first obscures part of your face, which makes me wonder why. There's nothing wrong with the middle one, if you like it, but it doesn't convey any sort of mood.

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
Just to be no help whatsoever, I really like the middle one! You look friendly and I'd be more likely to want to pick up your book. I'm not always a massive fan of the more 'posed' writerly author photos.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
If I was going to do this, I would definitely go for a 'look' like Martin and Pratchett. It means that if you become famous, you can still go out in public if you're not wearing the 'look' cos no-one will recognise you.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Every good author picture, in my opinion, says something about you. I was recently on a cruise and had a picture of me taken where I lean forward. I had a cocky smile and was wearing a suit. I think it says that I like to dress up, I'm quite ballsy and I'm ready to take a chance. Find out who you are and go with it. :)

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
My take is

I prefer the author looking at me - so that would make it the middle one, except I prefer the colour and the lighting in number 3 and think the glasses suit you. If you had one like number 3 but looking at the camera that would be my ideal.

Also I happen to dislike hands up by the face in photos, which would eliminate 1 and 3.

I know you aren't asking about the book cover - but - :) I wasn't too keen on the handwriting sort of script especially in the title. Just thought I'd mention it since I reacted to it and it was in your link.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I really like the middle one! You look friendly <snip>

This was exactly my reaction, along with the thought that you look open and accessible, very real. I did not like #3 because I'm wondering why you don't want to make eye contact.

This is what happens when you ask for opinions, no? It's really eye-opening to see everyone's different reactions. :D Good luck with the picture AND the book!

charlene

Registered
Reaction score
They all look great.
Sorry to be different, but I prefer photos where the person is not staring at the camera. I love black and white, but in this case, I like the third picture the best. It seems warm and comfortable.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
#1 is my favorite of those three. :)

I don't put much thought into author photos. I have a couple different ones that I'm currently using, but I'm sure I'll change them with every book. They are basically just snapshots I took of myself.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say the 3rd one on the right because you look like you are thinking internally of writing as your gaze could be looking non-specifically, plus your hand looks slightly arty / not the hand of a bricklayer, while not too effeminate. Also the colour and tones are good. In the 1st pic you look like you are thinking too but not so much in an internal way as you look slightly sideways at something.

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, #3 is the one for me. #1 is too staged, #2 is yearbook-y, but #3 has it. But I have a bias towards author photos that don't look directly at you.