Help with Deciding on an Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

erinreid

Registered
Reaction score
Writing a new story at the moment. I had an ending, I wrote the story out, revised it a few times, and some beta readers pointed out quite a few flaws. I decided to completely revise and now I've moved the previous ending to the middle, dropped some characters, added some characters, un-killed a character, etc.

Currently I have two alternate endings. I'm not sure which I like best, but I'd like to hear outsider opinions on each one. Here's the backstory leading up to the ending:
Frequently during his childhood, a young man had been told by his father that it's not good to express emotion at the "wrong time", which is defined in the story as basically anytime other than a tragedy. Due to this he becomes apathetic from that time forward, physically incapable of expressing sadness or anger. At the suggestion of a therapist he tries to trick his body into feeling again, but it doesn't work. He is disgruntled by the attempt, and resigns to being numb for the rest of his life.​

Now here's where the story breaks off into two possible endings:
1. He contemplates suicide but wants to visit his father's grave before he goes. While at his father's grave he expresses his feelings, lays down and cries for a long time, then feels better the rest of his life since the emotions have been dealt with.

2. Story flashes forward to when he's a very old man. His health is failing and he wants to die, but for some reason there's something holding him back. He goes to his father's grave and expresses his feelings towards his father. Afterwards he collapses and sobs, then dies content at having expressed himself.

I'm personally leaning slightly towards #2, but I'd like to hear thoughts and opinions.

Thank you!

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
It depends on how the rest of the story is written, but I prefer #2. It could be written as a coda, and I like codas.

If I were writing it, I wouldn't use either, because it seems a bit contrived. But then, I don't write happy endings very often :)

Oldborne

Registered
Reaction score
They aren't wonderfully different really. Just depends how much crap you want to put your MC through. The most of us would tell you to make him suffer.

Claudia Traveller

Registered
Reaction score
Formerly UK, now flit from one ocean to another
Hello Erinreid, I've probably come a bit late to your thread, but your second ending sounds more interesting - although, as some of the others have said: it's hard to be sure without reading the story. Good luck with whichever ending you decide/have decided on. :)

JimRac

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'll play.

If you're not going to have a big meteor strike, then I suggest ending number one, because in this story line the man actively makes a decision to choose life. Number two seems too passive to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.