The Time Traveling Lounge

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who listens to period appropriate music when writing? :)

I'm not sure if my "soundtrack" is exactly period appropriate. My WIP is set in the early 17th century. I tend to listen to a lot of folk music that is either of uncertain origin or was created recently but sounds old :) That's what puts me in the right mood.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if my "soundtrack" is exactly period appropriate. My WIP is set in the early 17th century. I tend to listen to a lot of folk music that is either of uncertain origin or was created recently but sounds old :) That's what puts me in the right mood.

I was just thinking most stuff from NPR's Thistle and Shamrock would work for Benjamin and Ailish's adventures.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I don't know about period appropriate but I listen to music that helps me set the scene while I write it. For example, when I wrote 'The First Vial' (set in the medieval period during the black plague) I listened to Mary Queen of Scots by Frank Mills when I wrote about the plague carts driving through the streets and people handing over the family members who'd died and also when I wrote an execution scene where one of the characters was burned at the stake. The music is ponderous and builds in power just as the flames built around my poor guy and just as the horrors built for the poor people having to give up so many to be thrown on the cart. Worked perfectly.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I have a CD of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir doing Civil War and Stephen Foster songs. I also have "Fun and Fury", by the "2nd United States Artillery", the Fort McHenry Fife and Drum band. There are also several versions of Lorena and the Battle Hymn of the Republic and Amazing Grace that I listen to regularly on YouTube.

There's a very modern alt rock/pop song that always makes me think of two of my characters because it's sweet and catchy. It's a song by the band Fun.

FrauleinCiano

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coveofmadness.tumblr.com
My playlist for Reaping Whirlwinds is filled with 1920's/30's Jazz and film scores from films in a similar genre and set in the 20's and 30's (Mostly Thomas Newman, honestly... Green Mile, Road to Perdition, Shawshank). When I need to write a scene with Paolo (main antagonist) I've recently started switching over to Camille Saint Saens because it is super intense and dark, as far as classical goes.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting about international characters and music too. My current WIP's narrator is Russian. Somehow I stumbled on a Voice of Russia video on You Tube, and I was just transfixed by the song. I don't know what it's called, I have no idea what they were singing. It was so moody, sad, passionate, strong, with such strange harmonies. I was just like --- THAT is my character!

For everybody who love 20-40s music, I know I'm weird for loving electroswing, but I really recommend it. I listened to Caravan Palace's Ended with the Night for one of the scenes in my first book. Charleston Butterfly is also a good easy start to the genre.

FrauleinCiano

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coveofmadness.tumblr.com
For everybody who love 20-40s music, I know I'm weird for loving electroswing, but I really recommend it. I listened to Caravan Palace's Ended with the Night for one of the scenes in my first book. Charleston Butterfly is also a good easy start to the genre.

Oh, no. You are not at all weird for loving electroswing! That's my jam. I just can't listen to it while writing because I WILL DANCE. And I cannot write while dancing, ha. I think Dramophone is my favorite by Caravan Palace.

I just discovered The Speakeasies' Swing Band!, which I suppose is a bit more modern swing than electro, but it fits right in, I think.

Last edited:

RoseDG

Registered
Reaction score
I have a lot of Russian music on my playlist for my alternate history -- it centers around the Russian Imperial family, and their survival in this alternate timeline. So, it's set in the '30s and the viewpoint character is Grand Duchess Olga, who is now Queen of England (married to Edward VIII). So the music is a mix of things from the time period and Russian folk music, etc. Brother Can You Spare a Dime, followed by God Save the Tsar -- that kind of thing. :)

Electronic music and I don't mix -- like much of modern life, it triggers my migraines. I was meant for another time, I think. :)

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
I just discovered The Speakeasies' Swing Band!, which I suppose is a bit more modern swing than electro, but it fits right in, I think.

Excellent! Am listening to it right now. And Black Swamp Village --- wow!

Rose, your story sounds really interesting. I've been into Russian history for years and OD'd on it recently with the 100th anniversary of the October Revolution. Is your book finished? My Russian protagonist is a young Soviet woman and ex-soldier in the late Stalin era, so really different from yours. But I'd probably still love your playlist. :)

RoseDG

Registered
Reaction score
It's not finished, and will probably be a trilogy. :) I don't want to finalize it enough for beta readers until after I get back from St. Petersburg, Yekaterinburg, etc, next summer. I'm going on a 100th anniversary tour and doing a LOT of research for the book. And I know things will change a bit once I walk the halls of their home, etc.

Your book sounds very interesting to me, actually. Even though I am fondest of the Imperial period, the Soviet period is still fascinating, of course.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Very jealous of your research trip, Rose. I've never been to Russia and probably won't in the near future. My book is set in Soviet-occupied Germany, so I'm okay on that research-wise. But still, would love to see Petersburg etc. My character is a Leningrad girl, so it'd be relevant...but only in a backstory kind of way.

It sounds like you're nailing your research, but in case you need to dig more into Russian culture from the inside out, I can't recommend the journalist Svetlana Alexievitch highly enough. In case you haven't read her -- She's known for Soviet-centered research (what did it mean to be a Soviet? etc), and she won this year's Nobel Prize for Lit. But reading her nonfiction books all together, especially the one about women Red Army soldiers (my GO TO research for my character), you get a great sense of how regular Russians were feeling and thinking at a deep level when their country went through such profound changes over the 20th century. Her interviews are just so stunning and moving, presented in people's own words. So you also get a good sense of how Russians speak even when reading it in translation. Really helpful for dialogue etc. Again, this might not exactly hit the stuff you need for your books, but to me, Svetlana has hands down the best research out there on everyday Russians, especially women.

RoseDG

Registered
Reaction score
That does sound super interesting, though there aren't many "everyday" people in my novels. It centers around the children of Nicholas II and their lives (eventually becomes about his grandson and HIS life as Tsar and his marriage and all that).

CWatts

Registered
Reaction score
Well this place sure has been quiet....

The artistic license thread and Frock Flicks' Snark Week (http://www.frockflicks.com/category/blog/snark-week/ - it's priceless, but careful if you're at work - they rename a character one of George Carlin's 7 words...) had me thinking, why don't we come up with anachronisms just for fun? I'll start....

Gettysburg, July 3, 1863.
Gen. Pickett: "Uhh, I think this is a really good plan, we should be able to pull it off this time. Sergeant, could you get me a number crunch real quick?"
Sergeant: "Uhh, yeah, gimme a sec. I'm coming up with thirty-two point three-three uh, repeating of course, percentage, of survival."
Private: "Alright chums. Let's do this... LEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYY JEEEEEENKIIIIINNNNNS!!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited:

autumnleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Today is the 100th anniversary of UK women getting the vote!

OK, it was restricted to women over 30 who owned property -- they would have to wait another 10 years to get equal voting rights to men. But it was a start!

Murffy

Registered
Reaction score
Today is the 100th anniversary of UK women getting the vote!

OK, it was restricted to women over 30 who owned property -- they would have to wait another 10 years to get equal voting rights to men. But it was a start!

I recently was reading about the British Union of Fascists (BUF) and its activities during the 1930s. A side note mentioned that a good number of suffrage activists were members, though it didn't really go into why. It occurred to me that this could be a setting for a potentially good, if disturbing, novel (probably well beyond my abilities to do the subject justice).

autumnleaf

Registered
Reaction score
I recently was reading about the British Union of Fascists (BUF) and its activities during the 1930s. A side note mentioned that a good number of suffrage activists were members, though it didn't really go into why. It occurred to me that this could be a setting for a potentially good, if disturbing, novel (probably well beyond my abilities to do the subject justice).

It is interesting how people we would see as "progressive" in some areas weren't so in others. I know some of the American suffragettes were against extending the vote to African Americans, some even using the argument that it was disgraceful to give the vote to black men while white women still lacked it.

Some of the early women's rights campaigners were also in favor of eugenics. Then again, eugenics at the time was seen as a "progressive" cause and its supporters would have assumed they were on the "right side of history".

CWatts

Registered
Reaction score
Some of the early women's rights campaigners were also in favor of eugenics. Then again, eugenics at the time was seen as a "progressive" cause and its supporters would have assumed they were on the "right side of history".

It's these uncomfortable truths that make us wonder what we're wrong about today - which is exactly why we need to study history.

I remember there was a push during Bill Clinton's welfare "reform" to make women on public assistance use Norplant as long-term birth control.

autumnleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Another example of the past impinging on the present: Poland has passed a law outlawing the term "Polish death camps" or any other implications that Poland had any responsibility for Nazi atrocities during WW2: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...nd-nazis-death-camps-0206-20180205-story.html

This is terrible law for so many reasons. Most obviously, it limits freedom of speech and suppresses unpleasant truths, like the antisemitism that existed in prewar Poland. The law has already damaged international relations between Poland and Israel. And ironically, it is also overshadowing the very real situation of Polish people, who suffered more losses per capita than any other nation during the war. If you can't talk about the villains who collaborated in persecuting their Jewish neighbors, it's harder to talk about the heroes who helped despite the harshest punishments, or about the ordinary people who were struggling to survive in a horrendous situation.

Murffy

Registered
Reaction score
What's going on in Poland make my teeth ache. But it seems like trend. Recent elections in the US and elsewhere have poured cold water on whatever is left of my hope in the possibility of an enlightened society. The people have spoken: "We want illusion, not reality!"

CWatts

Registered
Reaction score
So what are some of the random little details you find out?
I was at a local history event with USCT reenactors who provided a wealth of Civil War information. But one thing that struck me was the loud sound of their footsteps. They had steel-reinforced heels on their brogans, which was used to keep their shoes from wearing out on the march. These have become rare among reenactors as many locations don't allow them. It's definitely something you can't get from book research.

autumnleaf

Registered
Reaction score
I found out that clothes pegs (or clothespins as you call them in the US) weren't invented until the early 19th century. You'd think that such a basic and useful item would have been around much longer, but no.