AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14293334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: The Time Traveling Lounge

down the rabbit hole of research... CWatts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocotin View Post
    1. ....You can say a lot about waking up alive in the coffin but yawn-inducing it ain't.

2. If it works for your story, who cares? Go for it. Be forceful and proud of the devices you use and the story will be better for it.
    Exactly. Things get even more bonkers:
    1) Good news - the coffin is not underground yet.
    2) Bad news - there's a bunch of dynamite in the coffin with her, and it's sweating and unstable.

Cue theme music:
    https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=5i...&feature=share

Umm yeah I need to write this - but first I need to post something for the challenges....

practical experience, FTW autumnleaf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CWatts View Post
    Quick question - does it count as the dreaded Waking Up Opening if your character wakes up (alive) in a coffin?
    No, but it counts for a different kind of dread! There's something so specifically creepy about being buried alive. I'm still traumatized by that Buffy episode where she has to dig her way out of the grave.
    https://taleswildatlantic.wordpress.com/
    I reject your reality and substitute my own
    ~ Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Quote Originally Posted by autumnleaf View Post
    No, but it counts for a different kind of dread! There's something so specifically creepy about being buried alive. I'm still traumatized by that Buffy episode where she has to dig her way out of the grave.
    Yes, it's terrifying. Also the Bride getting buried alive in Kill Bill, shot from her POV.

As much as it shows up in pop culture, being buried alive apparently it was even more of a trope in the 19th century (what all with being a legit concern and actual bell-ringing coffin devices sold). So yeah I can lampshade it in-universe.

I've recently started following "Ask a Mortician" on YouTube. It's mostly about the modern funeral industry, but she's got some great historically-based ones like "The Trial of the Corpse Pope" and "Medieval Zombies". I'm really enjoying her delivery as well as her subjects!

I've recently started following "Ask a Mortician" on YouTube. It's mostly about the modern funeral industry, but she's got some great historically-based ones like "The Trial of the Corpse Pope" and "Medieval Zombies". I'm really enjoying her delivery as well as her subjects!
    Cool, I'll have to check that out. Any chance there's one about Victorian/Wild West undertakers?

What all with recent events, I'm imagining an alternative history of the past century or so where Prohibition never happened, but the 18th Amendment repealed the 2nd. Pretty sure this has been written at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by CWatts View Post
    Cool, I'll have to check that out. Any chance there's one about Victorian/Wild West undertakers?
    She does have a few about the Victorians. There's one about mourning jewelry (there was a fashion for getting a piece of your loved-one's hair in a brooch or ring) and another about about whether the Victorian photographers propped up corpses into standing poses for photos (that one's a myth). Also, in one of her talks on embalming, she mentions that it became popular during the American Civil War (so soldiers' bodies could be transported long distances) and that it used to use arsenic!

All the videos are here (but warning, it's a major time suck):
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi5...SLvlqnMi02u5gQ
    Last edited by autumnleaf; 10-05-2017 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Adding link

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin RoseDG's Avatar
    I'm new to AW (but not to writing, and not to a love of all things history and historical fiction). Or to a love of the time vampire that is Ask a Mortician. :P

practical experience, FTW snafu1056's Avatar
    Love her channel. Fascinating stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseDG View Post
    I'm new to AW (but not to writing, and not to a love of all things history and historical fiction). Or to a love of the time vampire that is Ask a Mortician. :P
    What era are you writing about?

Last week's Ask a Mortician was about the Salem Witch Trials!

I have one book set in an alternate 1936 where the Russian Revolution never got off the ground.

I'm also doing a straight historical based in 1922 in Napa, California.

practical experience, FTW snafu1056's Avatar
    I liked the episode about the haunted house mannequin that turned out to be a real corpse.

King of the Kitties Quentin Nokov's Avatar

Woohoo, I found fellow Deathlings. I enjoyed her recent Iconic Corpse video, and yes the mannequin that turned out to be a real corpse was pretty interesting too. I enjoyed the Salem Witch Trials episode. I'm not writing about the Salem Witch Trials, but I am writing about a (fictional) witchcraft case twenty years earlier.
    My cousin's only son has been recently hospitalized, and is tentatively scheduled for surgery on 11/21/17 for a brain tumor. The doctors also noted abnormalities on the spine. He's only 1 1/2 years old. Prayers and thoughts for the family are appreciated at this difficult time. If willing, please share Baby Odin's Story with others. Thank you.

Roxanne
    & Murdoch

Suki & Miranda

I have one book set in an alternate 1936 where the Russian Revolution never got off the ground.

I'm also doing a straight historical based in 1922 in Napa, California.
    Ooh, alternate history! I'm currently reading ​The Man in the High Castle.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin Nokov View Post
    Woohoo, I found fellow Deathlings. I enjoyed her recent Iconic Corpse video, and yes the mannequin that turned out to be a real corpse was pretty interesting too. I enjoyed the Salem Witch Trials episode. I'm not writing about the Salem Witch Trials, but I am writing about a (fictional) witchcraft case twenty years earlier.
    Have you read her new book, From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death? It's on my ever-expanding to-read shelf.

Ooh, alternate history! I'm currently reading ​The Man in the High Castle.
    Good book, though I like the show better. I prefer alt history that doesn't dwell on theory of multiple universes and alternate reality, etc, and just tells the story of what might have happened without mysticism, etc. But that's my taste, personally. :p

King of the Kitties Quentin Nokov's Avatar
    Have you read her new book, From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death? It's on my ever-expanding to-read shelf.
    Yes, I received it in the mail just this week.

I'll have to check out The Man in the High Castle; I like alternate history, too.
    My cousin's only son has been recently hospitalized, and is tentatively scheduled for surgery on 11/21/17 for a brain tumor. The doctors also noted abnormalities on the spine. He's only 1 1/2 years old. Prayers and thoughts for the family are appreciated at this difficult time. If willing, please share Baby Odin's Story with others. Thank you.

Roxanne
    & Murdoch

Suki & Miranda

Am I the only one who listens to period appropriate music when writing?

practical experience, FTW benbenberi's Avatar
    No -- I have a stash of baroque playlists, & a couple of Pandora stations, I turn on when I want to get in the 17th century mood. Nothing like a bit of Rameau or Scarlatti to set the scene.

Am I the only one who listens to period appropriate music when writing?
    Not at all! I often do. I have a gigantic playlist of big-band era tunes and pop crooners in near constant rotation when I'm writing - from my characters' college years (roughly 1940) to a year or two after the time my story takes place, which is 1950-1951.

No, you aren't. I do need to research more 19th century popular music, but I tend to listen to folk. For my Civil War/Reconstruction novel I'm listening to a lot of Rhiannon Giddens, especially her Freedom Highway album.

figuring it all out
    I would, but the music from the period I write in can be way too schmalzy or distracting. (1930s-1940s). I compromise by listening to electro swing sometimes. And weirdly enough, THE song that reminds me of my main characters is a disco song. The Bee Gees, no less.

See, I listen to '40s stuff even when I'm NOT writing. Though I'm writing 1920's at the moment, haha. I don't think I could write to classical or baroque, though -- good thing I don't write that "far back."

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic12 View Post
    I would, but the music from the period I write in can be way too schmalzy or distracting. (1930s-1940s). I compromise by listening to electro swing sometimes. And weirdly enough, THE song that reminds me of my main characters is a disco song. The Bee Gees, no less.
    Ha! There's something about stuff from the 70s - THE song for my main characters is by Fleetwood Mac.

Then again, the theme song for another of my Gilded Age characters is the very 21st century "I Was a Teenaged Anarchist" by Against Me!

never mind the shorty angeliz2k's Avatar
    Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
    Sometimes I do. There are a lot of good Civil War-era songs (I have a few CD's of Civil War music). Not so much WW1, at least IMO. Mostly, though, I listen to classical--Mozart, Haydn, Bach, Vivaldi. It's kind of background music. It doesn't distract me.
    Back in the query trenches.

"Cotton. Cotton until Kingdom Come."

WIP 1: Britannia c.AD 60. Trunked.
    WIP 2: Paris 1780s.
    WIP 3: Channing. Antebellum South, 1854
    WIP 4: Novella. Civil War.
    WIP 5: The Cotton Wars, 1820s
    WIP 6: Mish-mash. 1915+2015
    WIP 7: Civil War civilians

My Blog: "...And Full as Much Heart"

See, I listen to '40s stuff even when I'm NOT writing.
    Oh, I do too - when I'm obsessed with something I never do it halfway. But you did ask about "when writing." I suspect you and I have some things in common.

Quote Originally Posted by angeliz2k View Post
    Sometimes I do. There are a lot of good Civil War-era songs (I have a few CD's of Civil War music). Not so much WW1, at least IMO.
    I'd be glad for any recommendations. I have the Cold Mountain soundtrack but that's mostly because it's Jack White.

I listen to classical as well to write. I try to avoid lyrics in English when I'm actually writing, but movie scores and Dead Can Dance are also in the rotation. It's whatever fits to emotion of the scene.

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14293334353637383940 LastLast