Querying a YA dystopian novel

imaginedheart

Registered
Reaction score
Years before The Hunger Games and Divergent took the YA market by storm, I wrote a draft of a dystopian novel. I didn't think it was special, so put it aside while I worked on other projects. I recently picked it up and did a full edit. It was much better than I remembered. I've fallen in love with the characters and I'd really like to see it published someday. I'd like to start querying.

But my biggest concern is the growing stigma of YA dystopian novels. I've seen agents who don't even accept queries for them anymore. I'm wondering if I could get some opinions. Should I give up on this novel? Push it aside for a while and wait for a better time? Try anyway? I just don't want to burn bridges when this could work someday in the future.

Thanks to anyone who can provide some input or advice.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, imaginedheart.

Really this decision is going to have to be up to you. You know, just like we all do, that agents and publishers are down on dystopia these days, and have been for quite a while. I don't want to discourage you, but I don't want to give you false hope either.

If you see an agent who says that she's still willing to look at a dystopian novel, I'd pounce on her and send a query, but there's no point in querying anyone who's said that she won't look at them, and I'm afraid that that's going to be most agents and publishers these days.

But someday "dystopia is dead" will be over and you'll be able to query, or perhaps you'll get an agent with another book, and when you show her your dystopia, she'll know just how to sell it. It's just going to be difficult to get past the query stage these days.

(Unless it's a dystopia masquerading as a fantasy, though who knows if agents are actually looking for that or just claiming their client's dystopians as such)

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto Sage.

Red Queen is marketed as Fantasy, but you'll find ample argument on AW to say it's Dystopian.
The Queen of the Tearling (not YA, but read by YA readers) is Dystopian marketed as Fantasy

There are some others too. But it's kind of a long shot. If your Dystopian has something really, really, really, really different, you might have a chance. Otherwise, it's likely to be turned down immediately. And don't go calling it anything it's not. RQ & TQOTT can legitimately be sold as Fantasy, but try and call your book something it has no right being and you'll turn agents off real quick. You'll have to determine if your story has that something special that could make it a sell despite the NO DYSTOPIA market.

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
If it has a unique twist you never know. Worst case scenario everyone says no and you just hang on to it. Otherwise you could try some small pubs that are open to un-agented submissions or you can try self-publishing. There will be a time when dystopian comes back! I would try to query. If you can honestly call it a sci-fi or fantasy I would do that, but if you can't, just be honest with what it is. I was querying my YA when I finished my chapter book. My chapter book featuring a vampire of all things. I knew chapter books were a tough sell, and I know as well as everyone else that vampires are even tougher. I figured I would just blast it out there and see what happens while I polished up my MG book for querying. I really had hoped that I would get an agent through my YA or MG and that then my chapter book series would hitch a ride, but it was the chapter book that snagged the agent. We went on submission this week so it hasn't sold yet, but I did get to the agent stage anyways with a tough manuscript. You might too, but you don't know till you try.

imaginedheart

Registered
Reaction score
If you can honestly call it a sci-fi or fantasy I would do that, but if you can't, just be honest with what it is.

Unfortunately, my novel is very realistic. It can't be sold as science fiction or fantasy. There are several unique elements, but I think it won't get the time of day because it's just a bad time for the genre. I'm thinking of holding onto it and focusing my efforts on a fantasy novel that needs more work. There seems to be no shortages on fantasy or sci-fi right now, but we never know what the future holds.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
You know what? Agents may be down on it, but some of us readers will forever LOVE a good dystopian novel. If I were you, I'd polish the thing up. Pass it through a few betas. Query hard. And if that doesn't work? Have it professionally edited and self-publish. If it's any good, readers will come.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, when I ran the beta project, a lot of people said they liked dystopian, but nobody entered with one (because nobody thinks one can sell)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
With dystopian, I get the feeling that the agents and publishers are tired of seeing it even though many readers are not.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I think that they were inundated with it after HG and Divergent (and still are), and we only saw the ones that they thought were standouts of those submissions and now don't see anything new (except for when we do :greenie )

stephsco

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniescott.net
This is a tough call. On twitter the other day, an agent was marveling that she's still receiving dystopian queries and even if she loved it, no editors will touch it. I don't know if that's exactly true though. I think genres get oversaturated because the industry sees more of the same. It's similar ideas recycled over and over. If the premise is unique and the writing is strong, I think readers have interest. Whether traditional publishing does or not, that's the call. You either wait it out until the unspoken blacklist dies out, or like it was suggested, take a shot at self-publishing when it's ready.

Ashes Oh Ashes

Honest, not Harsh
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blogofron.com
Though I'm late to the party, I don't think there's any reason to give up on the novel. Like Sage said, one day 'Dystopia is dead' will be over, and then you won't be nearly so limited. In the mean time, polish up the manuscript the best you can. Heck, send out some queries. If it's a great book, it will eventually find a home. It certainly won't be an easy task, but you don't know that you won't find a home until you try to find it. Just make sure your manuscript is the best it can be and take a shot. As long as you're smart about it, I can't imagine you burning bridges. Publishing is a business. If your book is great, they will recognize that. Even if they decide not to do anything with it, they won't be so upset over the ordeal so as to reject it flat out under better circumstances. It's about the money.

So, short version, I'm in the camp that says to put it out there. But whatever you choose to do, good luck. :)

Last edited:

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Adding to what Ashes said, I queried a YA post-apocalyptic while everyone was saying that PA is dead (it is) but I still got requests to read the MS (2 fulls still out) and I have a list of agents who said they liked it, couldn't sell it, but send them something new when I have it. Agents will remember you if they like your writing but can't sell the novel, so it is advantageous to get your name out there.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Agents will remember you if they like your writing but can't sell the novel, so it is advantageous to get your name out there.

This is true. I've frequently been surprised at how well agents have remembered me. I queried three manuscripts, over a three year period, and many who had requested only a partial of the first one remembered me years later with the third one. It can be a valuable connection for sure.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
No trend ever dies out. They simply die DOWN. Even at the "downest" there are always a few agents and editors who are willing to spend at least a minute or two on a query about a PA book. IF your hook suggests your book offers something fresh and interesting.

If they request a sample they'd then check to see if your actual writing delivers on the promise shown in your query. If it does, who knows, maybe you'd be the trigger that begins a new up-cycle of the trend.

Spleen

Registered
Reaction score
Spotted this thread and it made me think of the July 'Good Reads' newsletter YA section where I spotted THIS book:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show...pos2&utm_medium=email&utm_source=new_releases

I was amazed to see that its similarity to the usual suspects (Hunger Games, Divergent, Maze Runner) is being pushed as part of the sell and the story-line (on the surface) seems to have huge similarities.

Now I realise that Sigler is a super established author and the story may have been sold a long time ago (before dystopia 'died' or I agree with above 'died down') but it shows that the market/appetite is still there and the rules aren't hard and fast