Got backup? Holy crap, I'm awake now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Writelock

Tribal Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
I work in Google Drive. Everything gets saved automatically, and I've got it set so I can work offline if the internet crashes. If I do something stupid and delete my whole WIP, it's got multiple backups from the past few months and I can restore any of them with a few clicks. It's worked great so far, and is terrific for my peace of mind.

This plus a back up email address usually works wonders for me.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying out Microsoft OneDrive along with physical backups - i have one of those WD drives that I use to back things up - all well as the usual flash drive. I also back stuff up to Google.

My old laptop actually died on me last fall - I have a feeling the hard dive may still be accessible if someone knew how to do it, but right now it won't even start up. However, between backups, my blog, Facebook, Ipernty and Flickr, I managed to recover most of my stuff. And Chrome saved all my settings and bookmarks for me, which was a very nice surprise.

So yeah - BACK STUFF UP!

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying out Microsoft OneDrive along with physical backups - i have one of those WD drives that I use to back things up - all well as the usual flash drive. I also back stuff up to Google.

My old laptop actually died on me last fall - I have a feeling the hard dive may still be accessible if someone knew how to do it, but right now it won't even start up. However, between backups, my blog, Facebook, Ipernty and Flickr, I managed to recover most of my stuff. And Chrome saved all my settings and bookmarks for me, which was a very nice surprise.

So yeah - BACK STUFF UP!

What I call my external hard drive is actually the terabyte hard drive that was in my old laptop. My husband knew how to pull the hard drive out and put it in an external casing with a small port, sort of like the one you see on cameras and certain cell phones. We're able to access all the information on the old hard drive by using a USB cord and connecting it to the computer.

ETA: As long as the problem isn't actually the hard drive, this could be a viable option for you.

Last edited:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
What I call my external hard drive is actually the terabyte hard drive that was in my old laptop. My husband knew how to pull the hard drive out and put it in an external casing with a small port, sort of like the one you see on cameras and certain cell phones. We're able to access all the information on the old hard drive by using a USB cord and connecting it to the computer.

ETA: As long as the problem isn't actually the hard drive, this could be a viable option for you.

That's an idea - thanks! I think the HD may be intact because there's no error message. It starts, reads the CD drive as usual and then - nothing. No error message, no strange noises. Just silence. I've never seen a HD die without all kinds of error messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.