True Crime Bio Details HELP

arielluneauxx

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am a self-publisher on Amazon for ebooks but I'm looking into writing a book about the Columbine High School Massacre, I really want to get it signed and published (my biggest dream is to see my own book in a library). I have no ideas what kinds of rights I have to have in order to write a true crime book and I could really use some help from someone who has gone through this before.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you are writing based on what is in the public record: nothing. You need to get rights to stuff that is not in the public domain like perhaps photographs.

My question would be, what new angle or value could you possibly bring to such as extensively covered story?

Jeff C. Stevenson

Author of FORTNEY ROAD
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fortneyroad.com
Yeah, Dave's book is excellent so I'd consider not going in that direction. There have tragically been so many school shootings since then, you could track those and if there has been an increase or decrease since Columbine, if survivors recover sooner since it is more common place now, etc.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am a self-publisher on Amazon for ebooks but I'm looking into writing a book about the Columbine High School Massacre, I really want to get it signed and published (my biggest dream is to see my own book in a library). I have no ideas what kinds of rights I have to have in order to write a true crime book and I could really use some help from someone who has gone through this before.

You are going to want to find a new angle to write about, and if you're not an expert, you are going to have to find some to interview and basically play journalist. I think this is a hard subject to cover if you are not some sort of expert or somehow have ties to it. Most people who read this kind of book want to know the author has some authority on the matter. One thing that agents and editors seem to want to know is why YOU are the best person to write this book. Trying to figure that out might help you figure out the direction you want to take.

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
To get any attention from an agent or publisher you'll need some kind of connection to the case or be a crime blogger with inside info or a new way of telling whats already been told.