Questions about using real name vs pen name at conferences

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I hope this belongs in this forum. I couldn't think of a better place to post it. I'm happy hearing from writers as well as agents/editors. :)

In a month, I'm going to my first writer's conference (yay!), and besides being nervous, I'm wondering if I should introduce myself by my pen name or real name. First, there's the question of what to do with other writers. I think I'd feel dishonest using my pen name with them, but my online writing presence is only in my pen name so it makes more sense to use it. Second, I'm concerned about meeting industry professionals. I have a pitch session planned with an agent and a query review scheduled with an editor. I put my real name on my business cards, thinking I could always add a hand-written note about my pen name. My thinking is: As far as I've been told, I should always query in my real name. But if these professionals have my card and eventually do any research on me, I want them to find my writer's presence online, which is only in my pen name. So would it be fine to hand write it in? Or should I reprint them with both names? Or just go with the pen name? It would be very quick and cheap for me to print another batch of biz cards since I print them at home, but I don't want to do that if it's unnecessary.

Also, I'm submitting my first pages to a writing contest this conference is sponsoring only for its registered attendees, and I'm wondering whether to submit it only under the name I registered in (real name), or whether it'd be fine to add my pen name at the byline (leaving my real name in the corner, just as I do when sending in short stories to publications). I don't want to cause any confusion. The deadline for sending it is tomorrow, so I doubt I have time to ask anyone involved in the conference.

Anyone have any experience with this, or any thoughts or suggestions? I'd really appreciate it.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if you shouldn't just put "Real Name, writing as Pen Name" for everything that isn't official conference sign-up type stuff? If I had a pen name, that's what I would do for business cards/other professional document type things.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Go by your real name. When it matters, you can tell others what your pen name is, and you can also put the pen name on your business card after your real name.

It's really no big deal, since you aren't trying to hide your identity. I do think far too many writers use a pseudonym online, and don't want to be known for fear of this or that, but it's very poor business. Unless you intend to use a pseudonym to hide your real identity, it's best that reader, and professionals in the field, know who you really are. This doesn't mean you should have the pseudonym, it's just that everyone should know the real name behind it.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses so far! Some good things to consider.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
I intend to use my pen name for anything writerly - after all if I went to see JK Rowling and met Madge Biscuit instead I'd be rather disappointed. On my manuscripts I have my real name on the title page with my contact details. And I introduce myself with my real name if I'm doing anything like a pitch. I've always seen one name as my writing name and the other as my legal name. And I do have reasons for that.

Last edited:

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
It could go either way. I think, personally, it depends on WHY you are using a pen name. If you are doing something like writing from the perspective of a Robot Overlord or a kittycat, and it's a gimmick but you are always the "man behind the mask" - then fine, go with your regular name, and on the manuscript put your regular name (writing as Voltron or WhitePaws or whatever).

If you are using a pen-name for ONE type of writing to distinguish it from another, very different type - I'd put your real name "writing as" so-and-so.

But let's say my real name is Christianza Dankshite and I don't like it. I never want this name to appear on a book or in an article about me, never never ever. I don't necessarily want to CHANGE MY NAME LEGALLY, because Mr Dankshite is real old-fashioned, and we have little Dankshites at home, but I am definitely not keen on using it professionally -- I've always really loved my mother's maiden name, Snow, and she passed recently, so I am going to go with that. Plus, Christianza is a mouthful - it was my GRANDMOTHER'S name, so obviously I don't want to change it, but let's face it, everyone calls me Chrissy anyway. So I am going to be Chrissy Snow for everything business related.

Now - I have to tell my agent and editor to make the checks out to Christianza Dankshite. And my contracts will say Christianza Dankshite. That's my legal "home" name. But literally everything else is going to say Chrissy Snow, up to and including the copyright. I might even set it up as a DBA situation so that the checks COULD be to Chrissy Snow, and the contracts would say "Christianza Dankshite DBA Chrissy Snow"

In this case - it's not lying. You ARE Chrissy Snow. Everyone is going to know you as Chrissy Snow. Your business cards and nametag should reflect that - it's your professional name!

Last edited:

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I haven't experienced this personally, but one of the writer's club meetings I went to brought in a local author who writes under a pen name, and they introduced themselves as their pen name. The 'leader' of the group never called them by their actual name. In another instance, they introduced themselves by both names. Not sure if that helps you, but I thought I'd share. :)

Granted, with an agent/editor, you might want to include both. You'll have to use a legal name for business and signing contracts (not sure how the DBA would work here), even though your work through them may be known under the pen name.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go by your real name. When it matters, you can tell others what your pen name is, and you can also put the pen name on your business card after your real name.

It's really no big deal, since you aren't trying to hide your identity. I do think far too many writers use a pseudonym online, and don't want to be known for fear of this or that, but it's very poor business. Unless you intend to use a pseudonym to hide your real identity, it's best that reader, and professionals in the field, know who you really are. This doesn't mean you should have the pseudonym, it's just that everyone should know the real name behind it.
Actually, as a woman who's been stalked by someone she upset online, I consider this bad advice. Protecting yourself behind a pen name when you write something which may upset people is one way to increase personal safety.

I was very sorry I'd shared my real first name with one person, my real city with another, the name of one of my kids with yet another, and so on, because the mentally ill guy was able to piece together a lot. He posted in the place where we'd clashed that because he was close but couldn't find me, and since the site's owner was too far away for him to drive, he'd just settle things there. He shot himself in a motel about 40 miles from me. Had he found me, you can guess what his intention might have been.

So I use only my pen name online and at events, until I've met someone face to face and come to trust them. I use my real name in business dealings, with editors, etc., of course.

Maryn, who answers to Maryn

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been to a conference yet, but I go to local RWA meetings, and I think everyone goes by their pen names.

When I submit, I use my pen name and pen name's email address, but I put my legal name underneath with my address. My online writer presence is entirely under my pen name, plus I have a website in that name, a few books, etc.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... I'm wondering if I should introduce myself by my pen name or real name.

Which name is on the royalty checks you get? :)

At the conferences I attend, most writers go by their real names and mention pen names either on their name tag, business card or, if they're presenting, in the conference materials. The writers I know who write under pen names primarily use their legal name for everything with two exceptions. One writes erotica and has a pen name as a D/B/A assigned to their LLC corporation with an attorney as the legal contact point. No matter how hard you try, you cannot find who she really is or how to stalk her, even her agents and publishers don't know her real name or address.

The other writes two separate series for two different publishers and is careful to identify herself by her pen name in the romance genre she writes. This is mostly a courtesy to her publishers rather than anything formal, but I can see her at a Romance Writers conference as one person, complete with appropriate hair and attire, and at a technical conference as herself. Either way, neither is actually her legal name since she remarried, but she has careers under those two names and uses a D/B/A for her writing.

Jeff

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It looks like it depends on the meeting. As mentioned above I go mainly to romance meetings and see mostly pen names used. The reason being it is seen as a networking event and this is the name people will know you by, so they will realize when the meet the author/blogger/whatever they want to talk to. I don't usually get handed checks at these events so how I would sign them doesn't really come into play.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
But let's say my real name is Christianza Dankshite and I don't like it. I never want this name to appear on a book or in an article about me, never never ever. I don't necessarily want to CHANGE MY NAME LEGALLY, because Mr Dankshite is real old-fashioned, and we have little Dankshites at home, but I am definitely not keen on using it professionally -- I've always really loved my mother's maiden name, Snow, and she passed recently, so I am going to go with that. Plus, Christianza is a mouthful - it was my GRANDMOTHER'S name, so obviously I don't want to change it, but let's face it, everyone calls me Chrissy anyway. So I am going to be Chrissy Snow for everything business related.

Now - I have to tell my agent and editor to make the checks out to Christianza Dankshite. And my contracts will say Christianza Dankshite. That's my legal "home" name. But literally everything else is going to say Chrissy Snow, up to and including the copyright. I might even set it up as a DBA situation so that the checks COULD be to Chrissy Snow, and the contracts would say "Christianza Dankshite DBA Chrissy Snow"

In this case - it's not lying. You ARE Chrissy Snow. Everyone is going to know you as Chrissy Snow. Your business cards and nametag should reflect that - it's your professional name!

This is pretty much what I do, and have done for ten years or so, now. Even my closest family and friends mostly call me "Mac" at this point.

TheWordFairy

I make word magic!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a pen name for some things I write, and when I am meeting people in a professional context associated with that business (because I consider that pen name a separate business entity, essentially), I introduce myself by that name. If you're really uncomfortable with the idea of "lying", you can introduce yourself by saying, "Hi John, nice to meet you! I write as Suzy." Then it's clear, mostly, that you're using a pseudonym but also that you're sharing the name that is most likely to be relevant.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Pen names can be like nicknames. And some people I know who aren't writers have different names they go by with different people. When I met the family of one of my college roommates, for instance, I was surprised to learn that her family all called her "Mary," even though we all knew her as Lynn. Her real name was Mary Lynn [Last name], and at some point, she decided she preferred her middle name and got her friends to call her that, but her family never adjusted to the change.

And I know several married women who use their "maiden" names for business and professional matters and their husband's name for family and social matters outside of work.

If you're comfortable having people calling you by your pen name at writing conferences, then I can't see anything wrong with it. Just another nickname. As long as your editor knows what to put on the check.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
I really appreciate all these answers. I was looking for just these kinds of experiences to help me sort out my motivations and the pros and cons behind each approach. I haven't decided what I'll do yet but this helps. Thanks!