Quotes within dialogue

MaxWriter

Bring it on, I can take it...
Registered
Reaction score
If a character is quoting what they think someone will say, what punctuation do you use?
Example:

"He would probably say, don't worry, you'll lose nothing, but I'll tell him, I already have nothing."

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
I believe if you're using American English, you would write, "He would probably say, 'Don't worry, you'll lose nothing,' but I'll tell him, 'I already have nothing.'" The commas and periods always go inside the quotes.

However, if you're using British English, you would write, 'He would probably say, "Don't worry, you'll lose nothing", but I'll tell him, "I already have nothing".' The commas and periods may or may not go inside the quotes, depending on the original source material.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find the specific illustration perfectly clear as it is, without any extra quotes.

MaxWriter

Bring it on, I can take it...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I think I prefer no extra quotation marks, but wasn't sure.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
"He would probably say, don't worry, you'll lose nothing, but I'll tell him, I already have nothing."
I would punctuate it thus:

"He would probably say, 'Don't worry, you'll lose nothing,' but I'll tell him, I already have nothing."

But if the first verb phrase is "would probably say," then the followup should be "I'd tell him," not "I'll tell him.

WWWalt

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
As is, it's clear enough once you've read the whole sentence, but it's not necessarily clear as you're first reading it where the thing he would hypothetically say ends. Quotation marks as StoryofWoe suggested are an easy way to solve that. Between "clear but could be clearer" and "clearer," you should choose the latter. (Unless there's a compelling reason otherwise, but quotation marks are cheap these days.)

WWWalt

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I would punctuate it thus:

"He would probably say, 'Don't worry, you'll lose nothing,' but I'll tell him, I already have nothing."

This is also a viable option. But if you leave the last clause as an indirect quote, you shouldn't precede it with a comma.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
Surely this is reported (or prior reported) speech and not a quote? In which case you don't use quotes.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Surely this is reported (or prior reported) speech and not a quote? In which case you don't use quotes.

Given that it's a hypothetical (he would probably say), it's not really reported speech, nor is it prior. That's my interpretation, anyway.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If a character is quoting what they think someone will say, what punctuation do you use?
Example:

"He would probably say not to worry, that I'll lose nothing, but if he does, I'll tell him I already have nothing."