Uncanny BRIEFLY re-open to subs!

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Heads-up, W1S1ers: Uncanny Magazine is opening to short-fiction subs today (June 16), and closing in a week (June 23). If you've got something cool ready, send it in! If you're wrapping something cool up, wrap it up!

I have never been so glad for a rejection as the one I got this morning from another market... my Uncanniest story hit free agency just in time. :greenie

Peace
Ty

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Oops. I was saving a story for their open period, but forgot and actually submitted... all my options to other places yesterday ><

Well, I have other stories, but they're amassed enough rejections they're obviously not going to get anywhere if I subbed them.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Tamlyn: Rachael Acks recently posted on twitter that she sold a story after 22 consecutive rejections. It's not impossible!

Also, there's not much harm in trying. The 'cost' of submitting an existing story to a market is twofold: it prevents you from submitting that same story elsewhere until you get a response (assuming simultaneous submissions aren't allowed) and it prevents you from submitting another story to that same market until you get a response (assuming multiple submissions aren't allowed). If you have nothing else lined up for Uncanny, the second issue isn't a factor, and if you aren't sending any of those stories to other places, the first isn't a factor either. So I don't think there's any harm in sending one in.

What I might suggest is waiting until near the end of the submission period to see if any of the stories that you think are more viable come back from other venues. If so, then maybe submit one of those. But if not, I'd suggest submitting something anyways.

Edit: I suppose there's also a third cost--since most markets don't allow resubmissions, submitting now means you can't submit the same story to the same market later if you do revisions of some kind. So I guess it would depend if you're planning on doing revisions to the story at some later date.

Last edited:

Kaitlin Brianna

Registered
Reaction score
I was counting on my favorite as-of-yet-unpublished story to get rejected today so I could send it to Uncanny. But instead it got passed along to the editor's desk at the market it's currently subbed to. So that's awesome, but now I have nothing for Uncanny, and I have been hoping for them to open submissions for a long time. Lightspeed too. I wonder how long until both of them will open again after this...

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I happened to have a short story just waiting for an excuse to be buffed up and fired off. So I did that, and sent it off to Uncanny. Thanks for the heads up, Ty.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
Good luck, folks!

I was counting on my favorite as-of-yet-unpublished story to get rejected today so I could send it to Uncanny. But instead it got passed along to the editor's desk at the market it's currently subbed to. So that's awesome, but now I have nothing for Uncanny, and I have been hoping for them to open submissions for a long time. Lightspeed too. I wonder how long until both of them will open again after this...

How funny, I just sent my Lightspeed rejection to Uncanny! :D

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Rats, I don't have anything available. How rare is this opening? Do they follow any kind of schedule?

Last edited:

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Rats, I don't have anything available. How rare is this opening? Do they follow any kind of schedule?

They opened to subs for the first time September 2014, closed December 1 and have been closed from then until now. They get subbed to by/solicit from a lot of pros, so they may only intend to buy a couple of stories from this week.

I see 68 pending on the Grinder, so they've probably gotten anywhere from 150-300 subs in just these few days... I'm guessing they aren't open again for another few months.

Rats, indeed.

Peace
Ty

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Hmm, well I have a freshly rejected story, and it's unusual, but it's also humorous. I wonder if they'd take funny.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to do as ACFantasy suggested and see if I could rework a story that's been sitting because I wasn't quite happy with it, but I got a unexpectedly quick rejection on the story I'd originally intended to send. Which doesn't really bode well for the story, but it's sent to Uncanny now.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Just sent off one of my own. Good luck everybody!

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
...annnnnnnnnnnd it's closed. I actually got a second piece IBTL! Good luck to everyone still under consideration.

Peace
Ty

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they're working over the holiday weekend. Got my form R this morning.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sent mine on June 18th. I knew going in that my story probably wouldn't be a fit for them, but it never hurts to try.

Last edited:

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
The latest posts on SG are 18-day Rs. I sent mine on the 19th—only mildly hopeful, though, the story that really would have been great for them was out at another market during their window.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I sent mine on the last day, so I figure I've got a week or so before my R rolls in.