• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Writers' Svcs] Randall Andrews / Writers World Boot Camp

TheAmir

Registered
Reaction score
For the record, I don't know SiennaBloom but her experience sounds almost identical to others I have heard from my little network of author buddies. Stalking and harassment on FB that came very close to personal insults. For what it's worth, when I've heard that same story four (now) different times... something is amiss and I'm likely to warn any of my friends/contacts away from this service. Maybe he really is a great editor (though, as others have pointed out, it's odd he didn't write his own info/website and there are a lot of mistakes in his posts here... *shrug*) and a really good guy, but if there's that much pain involved just -leaving- the writing classes, it doesn't seem very professional or like a very nice atmosphere to try to learn in.

WrdWvr

Registered
Reaction score
I know this is from last year, but wanted to put out there that Randall Andrews is still offering his "boot camp". I was on his FB group for a short time. When I disagreed with a grammar question (he likes to post grammar questions and then "instruct" everyone as to why the are wrong, even when he's incorrect) things became tense. Several others came out defending him and attacking me along with the others who disagreed. He claims to have a doctoral degree in English, but when I asked him about it, he said I was disruptive to the group and ejected me from it. I didn't mind, but take issue with people claiming things without backing it up.

Take his expertise with a grain of salt and as the thread states - beware.

TECarter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tecarter.com
Just my two cents:

If you're looking for a boot camp, try Writers Digest. They're not cheap but at least you know the agents are reputable and you'll get something you can use. These days, there are lots of places to get the wrong advice.

RetaWest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
retawest.com
December 23, 2017

RE: Writer's World / Randall Andrews / Randall B. Andrews / Randall Jay Andrews / Writer's World Bootcamp

I recently joined this group. I researched online for the top twenty writing groups. The Write Life had an article that recommended Writer's World as one of the top twenty groups on Facebook.

I am a new writer. This group may be exactly what some new writer's need. However, I have done a lot of research in the past year that I have been working on my W.I.P.

Randall Andrews took me 'aside' on a Private Message the first day that I joined the group. The reason for this was because of language I had seen in a post. I said, "Thanks a lot for the foul language that just came across my computer screen." Randall made a big point of how awful the other person was and it was an admin that had used the obscenities, so I guess if an admin does it it's okay.

He then proceeded to tell me how long he has lived in Hollywood, how he spent every Friday night for ten years in the company of Ray Bradbury. He mentioned several other names he was associated with.

He then proceeded to tell me how he wrote so many words a day, wrote twelve hours a day and on and on. So I finally just started giving him little golf-claps to shut him up. It was like talking to Trump. He really appears to be very narcissistic and will continue berating you until you tell him how wonderful he is.

Next he started pushing his boot camp. On and on and on and on he pushed his boot camp. He told me over and over how much I needed it. I finally told him, "You haven't seen anything I've wrote." He said, "nope" I said, "Would you like to see something I've wrote?" He said, "Post it."

I posted it and one of his 'cult' immediately picked on every single comma. She told me I had red herrings even though if she had read two more lines she would see it wasn't a red herring. I politely thanked her.

Then Randall got on there telling me how it was a narrative and needed more show less tell. lol I posted this particular piece because I considered it one of my best. I had won first place in a contest with it. It had been on Critique Circle three times and received about fifteen reviews. Also the feedback from lifeofwriters where the contest is/was. That particular contest was called The Fight. My piece is called The Runaway.

I laughed at Randall and told him that I wanted to know where there could be more showing. Because the whole piece was showing. He then changed it to pacing. My pacing needed changed.

Every person except one that reviewed the piece posted Writer's World, did not have one good thing to say about it. Yet, when I read Randall's pieces which I did not like, he tagged me in eleven pieces, they had nothing but praise and no constructive criticism.

The next day a person posted in The Write Life Community. Again this person was harassed by Randall Andrews and his administrator. I responded and told my experience. The next day I got a PM from Randall Andrews attacking me. I left the group and had to block him to get him to stop.

Last edited: