Final Fantasy VII: Remake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
It was ten years ago that SquareEnix released a PS3 Tech Demo of the intro of Final Fantasy VII, of how it might look if they redid it. Fans exploded. Surely this meant something. But alas, we were given Advent Children, the CGI movie sequel. Then came the PS2 sequel, the PSP prequel, the anime shorts, the remake of Advent Children... and every year, usually at April Fools and sometimes on other occassions, a rumour would circulate of a FVII Remake. Some Japanese scans would come in, fooling people. And that's all they were. Just rumours.

Until today.

Today, even before the E3 Convention has started tomorrow, SquareEnix has officially announced the Remake of Final Fantasy VII. Fans have begged and pleaded for this to happen and it's FINALLY HERE. There have been a lot of doubts over the years "Oh, what about the full rendered backgrounds" and "The materia system would be changed" or "What about all the retconning because of the compilation?" Well, to all the naysayers, I say NAY. True fans won't pick and prod at all the little imperfections, whatever they may be. True fans will be appreciative that SE finally listened and allowed us to revist our favourite world (just a little prettier this time).

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Omg, omg. *hyperventilates*

This is going to be so cool!

If it ever happens. If it doesn't get stuck in game limbo like kingdom hearts 3 did, for years and years and years.

Cool trailer though. Just send me snippets here and there, and I'll be happy.

Last edited:

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing has caused as much of a stir as this has... and SE is being pretty forefront about it too, so it has me believing this is the real deal. But, yeah... probably not until the 20th Anniversary/2017.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
FF has such a broken base that I don't entirely believe they can ever satisfy with a remake. Kudos, I suppose, to Square Enix for trying at all. Hopefully it'll be at least a good game, but even then if they're just remaking they're not really doing anything new to judge that on. There comes a point when FF gets so wrapped up in its own incredible complexity both meta and non-meta that it just bogs down. The best of them, including the original FF7, were good because they were interesting games with great stories so that starting one up was a new experience. One can argue about backstories and ludic/story balance and everything else, but it's not going to replicate the same feeling. A remake is nostalgia. It'll be pleasurable for that but nothing more.

VII wasn't my first so maybe I don't have that same intense attachment to it. I also don't really mind the old PS1 version. It's... quirky (don't attack when the tail is up, no matter what it tells you). Maybe I'm just cynical today, but remaking it just feels like Square Enix's last clinging grasp to the graphics arms race.

slashedkaze

Smutter
Registered
Reaction score
Omg I've been waiting for this forever. I'll buy a PS4 just for this. (And no, I don't mind the PS1 version. I LOVE the PS1 version! I'm still playing it. But I want this too.)

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
*disintegrates into a puddle of fan girl*

Well now I'll know what will compel me to get a ps4. Because I must have this, if only to feel like I'm 12 again. I already replay the original every year or two; this will mean less dusting.

I mean, I know it's unnecessary, but ... *tears and grabby hands*

shivadyne

brushing off the diamond dust
Registered
Reaction score
i can't wait! i just recently got my hands on the original (as a gift from a very cool friend), but i'm still pumped for them to remake the game. i feel like the aeris vs aerith debate might cause issues, depending on which spelling they choose...

i agree with slashedkaze, though. i'm totally going to have to buy a ps4 for this (and, well, kh3).

Tally

Registered
Reaction score
Website
remnants.spiritsoftheearth.net
I can't even with my emotions right now. *flails, heavy breathing*

THIS GAME. This game was my life for so long. I want it NOW. |8 Ugh, and it's going to be so loooong until it's done!

I'm pretty sure they're going to strip a lot of the ridiculous weird and quirky stuff that went down in the original. That's kind of their thing these days. And yeah that's disappointing in a way but you guys it's going to be SO PRETTY. I'll play the original if I really need to see Cloud hunting down lingerie so he can seduce his way into a mansion. Just give me that gorgeous HD remake hnnnng.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I'm not exactly a fangirl or anything, but this game was a major part of my childhood and all of it's silliness. I remember watching one of my brothers play this, then years later playing it myself and getting almost everything (coughknightsoftheroundcough). I can't exactly take it seriously nowadays because of the chibi models with square hands and feet, so a remake would be cool.

Unfortunately, because of the intense hatred my boyfriend harbors for this game, it is banned from our house. o.o

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of fans are split... they'll either bitch and moan that things are changed too much (very wide percentage of fans) and those who will just love it as is. It seems though that SE is considering a lot of things, and are ready to make some changes but still keep the things that made it just as charming as the original.

Tetsuya Nomura said:
“The original version is a game that came out in 1997, and if you look at it today, you can feel how dated the graphics and the game system are… However, that’s also part of Final Fantasy VII.”

“We haven’t shown any gameplay yet, but since we’re updating them quite a bit, please look forward to that… Since we now formally revealed Kazushige Nojima’s name for the scenario, there will be more plot devices in the story, so I think you can also look forward to that.”

I take this to mean that they'll consider the whole compilation... easter eggs for DoC and AC, and references to old characters/events from BC and CC.

http://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-7-remake-changes-e3-122/

Tetsuya Nomura said:
It all looks very dark and serious – as indicated by the gravelly voice throughout – but in an interview with Eurogamer, director Tetsuya Nomura indicated that the sillier parts of the game wouldn’t be scrubbed out.
When asked whether we would still see Cloud donning a dress, he said “Please look forward to it.”

http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/17/fin...-to-crossdressing-cloud-in-the-gritty-remake/

So smaller, sillier scenes like the cross-dressing rescue Tifa from Don Corneo mission is obviously still intact. And maybe even smaller things, like the Junon ship scene where Red XIII is trying to stand on two legs and Barret looks like a marshmallow, may not make it... but if they do? In HD? And Cloud jumping/riding a dolphine to an electrical tower?

I MEAN COME ON.

Last edited:

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
But everyone was soooo excited about the release of Final Fantasy XXXOXO Fabullosa Crystallina Fantastica Bananabanabofesca Whatever!

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Not anymore! Final Fantasy XV can go suck an egg.

shivadyne

Registered
Reaction score
But everyone was soooo excited about the release of Final Fantasy XXXOXO Fabullosa Crystallina Fantastica Bananabanabofesca Whatever!

what a brilliant title. how would you even shorten that? ffxxxoxofcfbw???

but yeah, i agree with channy. make way for the ff7 hype!

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Not anymore! Final Fantasy XV can go suck an egg.

Indeed. After, what, ten years since it's been announced? That hype train fell off a cliff ages ago. :Shrug:

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I've always thought the downfall of this franchise was its increasing focus on the best graphics and less and less on the stories. Which, besides gameplay, is why I think most people play.

shivadyne

Registered
Reaction score
I've always thought the downfall of this franchise was its increasing focus on the best graphics and less and less on the stories. Which, besides gameplay, is why I think most people play.

that's a pretty good point. i think that some older games had to focus more on the story since they couldn't just fall back on amazing graphics. it's a bit of an issue now, but some games (like TLOU) work against it and can manage to be very pretty while also maintaining an interesting plot.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
The pre-rendered backgrounds in FFVII hold up surprisingly well imo - obviously the blocky sprites not so much, but the backgrounds are gorgeous. Cosmo Canyon is still breathtakingly pretty. And while I'm super excited to see how these places look in full HD gloriousness, I'll always have a fond nostalgia for the old graphics.

I guess there's the important thing about this remake: we'll always have the original. Nothing is being taken away from us - it's just a bonus. I do hope they keep some of the silliness intact, though - that was always the joy of the original game.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
It's not just the original though, SE is still pursuing a ported version of the game with some cleaned up graphics to the PS4. So the FFVII Purists will have their untouched unicorn in all it's original glory but a little shinier, while a lot of other fans will have the remake they've been begging for.

I'm also glad they got a lot of the original staff onboard again, and hope they bring back Uematsu to remaster/touch up his music. A lot of the Compilation title music was lackluster when they got someone else... especially Crisis Core which was just the same themesong rehashed a million times. I mean, I love CC a lot too as a companion to the series, but it had its flaws, and the music was a big one. (Some other songs on the soundtrack were nice though).

With the massive delay in XV, I can see VII taking over. XV finally got somewhere (i.e. 2 demos and some new footage, etc) once Tetsuya Nomura left to focus on the new KH3 project, but now he'll also be tied up with VII. It's great that (mostly) original staff are involed but they announced alot of E3 and hopefully they won't split themselves too much.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I saw grown men reduced to tears when this was unveiled. Sony just guaranteed that the PS4 will have good initial success. But I'm still not tempted to spend hundreds of dollars on the console. I might just cheat and watch a play-through on YouTube :p

CJMockingbird

Registered
Reaction score
I knew since SE said "It'll take ten years to make" / denial, that they've been working on it. Just a matter of time. As long as they don't screw with the battle system too much, I'll be happy. I play for Aerith anyway. Also, the 3rd Birthday (shudder) reference in the trailer was nice. I hear they may remake Parasite Eve as well (great, just what we need, to turn it more into a shooter than an rpg. Sounds fun. *rolls eyes*)

Status
Not open for further replies.