Help for the Nepalese quake victims and survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My next door neighbor, childhood friend of my cousin, and her husband who is a Tibetan refugee/American citizen and who worked in Nepal for many years, have close ties among those attempting to recover from the recent devastating earthquake there.

They have started this gofundme campaign to raise relief funds.

Here is the text of the appeal, which gives some further detail. Please do share this elsewhere if you feel called to, donate if you can and feel so inclined, and thank you for reading:

http://www.gofundme.com/wxptr7q

Monks Helping Earthquake Victims, by Mimi Regelson

Please help our friends help others in need!! Recovery has only just begun!

While dealing with their own suffering after the horrific 7.8 magnitude earthquake in Nepal, these monks have persisted in relief efforts, both for their neighbors in the village where one of their monasteries is located, and also in the severely-affected remote region from which many of them come. The monastery complex consists of three monasteries – two in Kathmandu and one in the village of Pharphing. All of their buildings have suffered damage rendering them unsafe for habitation, but the temple adjacent to the sacred and historic Swayambunath Stupa (also known as “The Monkey Temple”), has suffered the most profound destruction. Many of the monks come from a remote region near the epicenter of the earthquake, the Rasuwa District, where villages have been completely destroyed and there have been many casualties, including among the families of these monks, some of whom are still young boys. The high lama who started and led these monasteries passed away a few years ago and his successor has yet to be found. Yet even without their beloved leader, these monks continue to take care of each other and the extended community, trusted by the locals in their efforts even when the desire and official ability of the government to offer any real assistance is held in doubt by the people.

Please help us to help them in their relief efforts and in their own recovery from the earthquake. My name is Mimi Regelson. My husband, a Tibetan refugee who is now an American citizen, worked for seven years with these monks and I met him at one of their monasteries. We have close emotional ties to these people, know them and trust them in their efforts to unselfishly help others.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Manjushri-Di-Chen-Buddhist-Learning-Center/258845024146277?fref=ts

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I just want to sort of activate this thread with a note or two. First, I understand that if you donate, you then receive email updates about the project. Second, I wanted to say that I have not yet donated, because this came into my awareness right around the part of the month when I regularly must count pennies in order to make it to the next income. Then, there is suddenly another worthy place to donate, as linked at the top of the main forums page -- Mother Emanuel in Charleston, S.C. When my deposit is here, I intend to donate there, and also to the monks in Nepal.

I imagine probably a number of us have already sent some financial help to Nepal; there are certainly other avenues out there by which to do that. I'm pleased, though, that this particular fund is growing since being posted here (and one other place I frequent.)

My neighbor, the fellow who worked with these monks, was a school administrator in the monastery school there, which is how he knows them. He personally is one of the kindest people I've ever met. That's really neither here nor there I suppose. But for me the fact that some of his students, young people he knew, perished in this huge disaster, brings this one home to me also.

Thanks for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.