Boardgames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
You kids and your PlayStations.

(Okay, I have a PS3 myself - I hardly ever use it.)

Anybody a major boardgames fan? (I am AmadanNaBriona on BGG.)

I do coops, wargames, some Euros, some Ameritrash (Cthulhu Wars is an awesome game, aesthetically and to play).

I also used to play go, but I suck. :(

I have recently discovered VASSAL, which is the best thing ever for players of long, complicated games who don't have anyone local to play with. And for fans of Advanced Civilization (you know, that game that is one of the best Avalon Hill ever produced, but takes 8-12 hours to play face-to-face?), you should hasten over to http://civ.rol-play.com/ and get your Crete on.

Current fave games:

Cthulhu Wars
Eldritch Horror
Space Empires 4X
Labyrinth: The War on Terror
Marvel Legendary

GreenKri

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a fan of euro games. I have a friend who collects games, so occasionally I get a chance to play. We played Eldritch Horror last Saturday, and that was fun. I really love Seven Wonders, Ticket to Ride, and lately have been playing a lot of the app version of Ascension.

Somehow I have collected a whole bunch of Munchkin, but never get to play. I know that one's often hit or miss for who likes it.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I just discovered Settlers of Catan with my kids, and we love it.

Ticket to Ride is my husband's favorite game.

A couple of years ago, a friend introduced us to Castle Panic which is a particularly good family game because it's primarily cooperative. There's a winner at the end with whoever has the most points, but if you don't defend the castle, no one wins.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Oh, oh, oh *jumps up and down*

Me and my partner are mostly alone, because none of ours friends live close and the ones that might be somewhat close are not interested in boardgames.

So, games that are working for 2 people is what we play.

We like:
Pandemdic (highly recommended, it's a cooperative game, your goal is to cure diseases about to wipe out humanity)
Dominion (my partner is less of a fan and I think it needs more than 2 people to be truly fun)
Carcassonne (fun, easy, quick)
Lost Cities (also fun, easy and quick)

Games which take longer and have a steeper learning curve:

Twilight Struggle (U.S. against Soviet during the Cold War, it's amazing in my opinion)
Mage Wars (Two mages play against each other with a set of cards and a board, it's really cool!)
Netrunner ​(A card game that I really like, but it's difficult to keep up with all the new cards coming out.)

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I like playing board games, and we have a few friends that do as well (and some that we've converted).

We've got Ticket to Ride-Europe (and Switzerland/India maps) , Settlers of Catan (w/ Seafarers), and Carcassone.

Ticket to Ride gets the most play in our house.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I used to be a total RISK fiend. I really need to find some other people who love playing that in Edinburgh!! It's the best, and great for competitive people who like prolonged games.

I've also played Ticket to Ride and it's great -- bit easier and quicker than Risk.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Pandemdic (highly recommended, it's a cooperative game, your goal is to cure diseases about to wipe out humanity)

I was looking at this one. You can play with 3-4 also, I assume?

I wasn't sure about introducing my 12-year-old to a game where the entire world can be destroyed by disease, but then again, he plays Plague, Inc. on the iPad, so I probably shouldn't worry about that.

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch

I wasn't sure about introducing my 12-year-old to a game where the entire world can be destroyed by disease, but then again, he plays Plague, Inc. on the iPad, so I probably shouldn't worry about that.

Yes, you can play with 3-4 and I think it becomes more interesting.

The only flaw the game has is that when you have a very strong, dominating person in your group, they might take over and start dictating everyone's moves. But so far this has not happened to us, not even on the rare occasions when we played with other people. We always managed to discuss our moves.

The diseases are coloured cubes. Fatalities are never mentioned. The only thing that happens is that too many cubes in too many cities end your game and the diseases won... there's at no point in the game any mention of people dying, or what the diseases do. I think Plague Inc. is way tougher there, since you can actually choose quite scary symptoms to destroy the humans. So if he plays that he is definitely ready for Pandemic :)

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Forbidden Snowflake: I haven't played Twilight Struggle (it's on my list), but I understand it is much like Labyrinth: The War on Terror (from the same company) except Labyrinth is a bit more complex. So if you like the one, you may like the other.

oceansoul: I describe Cthulhu Wars as "Risk + Cthulhu" (it isn't really, but the board and the area-control mechanics seem like that on the surface).

I like Ticket to Ride, Catan, and Dominion well enough, but they are not really among my favorites. I have yet to play Pandemic, though I know it's very popular.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone interested in learning more about some of these (and other) boardgames, its worth it to check out TableTop to see the game is played. It has a good production value and is fairly entertaining.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score

Another Pandemic lover. Since it all takes place in abstract (like Forbidden Snowflake explains) it's more than appropriate for a 12 year old. Maybe even younger, depending on the kid. It's one of the few games I can get my easily bored mother to sit down and play with us. And I find it more fun if you've got 3+ people working together.

-

I like Ascension, but I think I might have to give it up. Poor husband can never seem to win. :evil So if someone's got suggestions for 2 player board and/or deck-building games, I'd love to hear them please. Cooperative or competitive.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I like Ascension, but I think I might have to give it up. Poor husband can never seem to win. :evil So if someone's got suggestions for 2 player board and/or deck-building games, I'd love to hear them please. Cooperative or competitive.

Netrunner, Mage Wars or Summoner Wars?
Those are the ones I like to play with my partner the most :)

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
They're on my radar but the only place I can ever seem to find them are Barnes and Noble at ridiculous markup. I can't help but think they're great since they're sold out everywhere else I look.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone interested in learning more about some of these (and other) boardgames, its worth it to check out TableTop to see the game is played. It has a good production value and is fairly entertaining.

I absolutely love Tabletop. :)

My favorite episode of all time is Stone Age:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh0q958qzRs&list=PL7atuZxmT956cWFGxqSyRdn6GWhBxiAwE&index=32

Friggin hilarious. :D

My company makes more than a few board games. This is us: http://cmon.com/

If you look at the pull-down menu, Rum & Bones is almost ready for shipment to the Kickstarter backers, but all the rest are available. I'd say Xenoshyft and Zombicide are the best of the co-op games. Xenoshyft is HARD! Very difficult, in fact. Zombicide is less difficult, but the dice can really make things tense. :)

Beyond that, the office favorites include Pandemic, Dominion, Epic Spell Wars, and Battlestar Galactica. BSG is SUCH a nightmare. And yet, I can't get enough of it. ... I have a sickness, I think.

Kevin Rohrer

Registered
Reaction score
Unlike short attention-span Eurogamers, I prefer board war-games (too many to name), Civ-type games (Sid Meier's Civilization, 7 Ages, Clash of Cultures, Nations), and power-politics games (Twilight Struggle, Labyrinth, Churchill, Fire in the Lake, etc).

Going to GASPcon outside Pittsburgh next weekend.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Unlike short attention-span Eurogamers, I prefer board war-games (too many to name), Civ-type games (Sid Meier's Civilization, 7 Ages, Clash of Cultures, Nations), and power-politics games (Twilight Struggle, Labyrinth, Churchill, Fire in the Lake, etc).

Going to GASPcon outside Pittsburgh next weekend.

Some of those Eurogames can take forever. But you did name some of my favorite games. Unfortunately, GASPcon is a little too far for me, but I might make EuroQuest (which has wargames as well as Euros).

Status
Not open for further replies.