Is it libel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EligM

Registered
Reaction score
I've went over the libel post here and google, yet its leaves me still with questions. My books are based over a hundred twenty years from now, and a post apocalyptic zombie space opera(Not sure if that matter). With that being said, the villains in my book are the future offspring of people you see in power today. The fact that they're not real tells me it's okay, though I'm kind of worried about it. Anyone?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm not sure this is the kind of question that someone who isn't a lawyer could answer for sure, but I don't think any offspring of currently powerful people would be alive in 120 years, and it's hard to imagine how the people in charge today are going to have a lot of offspring in their future, since most of them are older and past childbearing (if women) or past the age when they're likely to father children (if men, though there was James Doohan, who became a father at 80).

Is there a reason why these characters have to be the descendents of current well-known people rather than simply alluding to their being the great grandchildren, say, of undisclosed or made up early 21st politicians and billionaires?

Say, something like, "Bob was the great grandson of at least one prominent early 21st century billionaire on his mom's side, and of a mid-21st century US president and an infamous senate majority leader on his dad's (we all have eight great grandparents, so it would really bog you down to talk about all of them).

Last edited:

EligM

Registered
Reaction score
I thought about that, yet people don't seem to be interested in anything unless it relevant to them. Though many years in the military has jade my view on people I might add.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Libel is determined in court.

We can't help you. Your best bet is to consult an attorney conversant with libel.

Status
Not open for further replies.