A little note on the stickies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnluckyClover77

Registered
Reaction score
I understand that people are supposed to read the stickies before asking anything -because the answer is usually there-, but when ever I do have a question and try to look it up, it's really hard to find the answer through all these threads filled with things I already know.
On the other hand...if I do ask a question, I get the answer within three seconds tops, coupled with a quotation from that pesky little thread that I couldn't find at first. (...and in turn making me feel really stupid :tongue)

Anyway, I'm sure these threads are filled with all those wonderful information, but is it at all possible to trim them down a bit? Maybe combine similar threads, or just...y'know...making them shorter or somehow easier to navigate? Just so that people would actually read them and therefore avoid asking repeated questions?

Just a passing thought. Thanks for reading!

growingupblessings

Drinking lots of coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I try to read as much as possible, but filtering out all of the irrelevant information is hard for me. As I suspect it would be for anyone else, because while it may be irrelevant to my search, it won't be to someone else with a similar question and better developed skill set.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Have you tried using the Google custom search at the bottom? It often works a lot better than the search function up above, and I've found it pulls a number of interesting historical threads, depending on how specific you get with your search terms. Once I figured out that little gem, searching the forum archives became a lot faster.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The custom search is very helpful.

If we were to trim the stickies down a bit, we'd lose a lot of information and then the people who were looking for that stuff would not have what they need.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, it's really okay to ask a question, even if it turns out the answer is in the stickies somewhere. If anyone gives you grief for asking a question, I encourage you to report the post.

Trimming the stickies also would be a fairly big job of work for somebody, and it probably would involve several somebodies as nothing that important would be done without some checks and balances applied. And, yanno, everybody here is usually already fully employed with all kinds of responsibilities -- and AW has no paid staff to do projects like this.

So, this is probably not real likely to happen any time soon.

Really, just reading the forums with attention to how things go is an excellent way to learn here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.