Modern Retelling of a Lesser Known Classic...?

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Okay, so I know the classic like Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, et al are all the rage when it comes to modern retellings, but what about retelling the classics MG/YA audiences might not be as well aware of? Would that be a problem when it comes to querying/submitting it, the fact that there's a high chance readers would have no idea what it's based on?

Basically, I'm currently obsessed with the story of Don Quixote, the classic Spanish literary novel and generally considered one of the greatest literary works of all time and one of the foundations for all modern literature. For those not familiar, it's about an elderly-ish man (whose real name isn't revealed until right at the end of the second volume) who slowly loses his mind whilst surrounding himself with books on chivalry and knights, to the extent where he believes he is a knight-errant called Don Quixote and that he must venture forth, setting right wrongs wherever he sees them ... which usually means wrongs that don't entirely exist. The most notable delusion being that he mistakes windmills for giants and charges out to fight them. There's also a scene where he accosts a travelling barber-doctor, claiming the man's wash basin is actually a revered holy helmet that Quixote claims on his quest.

He's accompanied by a simple-minded neighbour called Sancho, who's irreverent wit and view of the real world is a stark humorous contrast to the deluded "knight's" views of philosophy and chivalry. Sancho knows his friend is not well, but doesn't have the heart to stop him as the man has such a strong sense of purpose. After further misadventures, Quixote's feverish disease claims his life, but not before a small moment of clarity, during which the woman he has been pursuing as a damsel in distress takes pity on him, playing back to his delusions so that he may die happy.

If I were to do a modern retelling, do you think it would have potential amongst today's young readership? I don't have a firm, complete plan set yet in case it's a bad idea, but it would generally revolve around a weak, nerdy MC who gets severely bullied for his bookwormish ways. He escapes the pain of his daily beatings by surrounding himself with books on medieval history and epic fantasy stories so that one day - surprise, surprise - his hold on sanity loosens and he switches reality for fantasy.

Suddenly the bullies are a dark army's merciless soldiers, the head teacher who turns a blind eye to it all now their corrupt lord and master... he'd stumble across a battered school-crossing sign and take it as his shield (with the children walking insignia becoming his symbol of becoming a leader/protector for the weak).... but that's basically all I have for now.

There are obviously aspects of the original I have no idea how to transfer at this point... how to twist the windmill-giants scene, for example, or how to have the character of Sancho be both simple without being mistaken for "comically retarded" (or whatever sensitive readers would accuse it of), or why - in this day and age - he wouldn't just immediately seek adult and psychological aid for his friend rather than pander to the MC's delusions. (Unless it's because, although he knows something's not right, he still believes and supports his friend's 'quest'...?).

But yeah, this post has already gone on far longer than I intended, but I felt a fair explanation was needed. Any advice, comments, etc would be greatly appreciated - what do you think, is it a good idea? Is it do-able? Would it work?

Also, any ideas for name changes would be helpful... right now all I can think of is the MC taking the name Dom Quixote. Yeah... not the most original spin ;)

Thanks,
Dave

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Veggietales did a retelling of Don Quixote (I think it's called The Asparagus of LaMancha). Of course, it's Veggietales and they can get away with pretty much anything, but they did a good job of making the story make sense even to people who hadn't heard of the original.

The plot of a kid escaping from reality into a fantasy world -- whether real or imagined -- is common enough that I don't think it'd be too hard to get people interested in it. I don't think you could get away with driving your MC insane and then killing him off, though. XD

As for the sidekick, perhaps he isn't stupid, just bored. Or maybe he thinks it's a game and plays along. Or maybe he owes the other boy something -- Dom saved his cat from a tree, for example, or something like that -- and the sidekick feels like it's only right to help out. Maybe they've been friends since first grade and Dom has always been that weird.

Good luck with this! I really like the idea!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Did you just call Don Quixote lesser known? I mean among small children I'd agree it's lesser known than most common, shorter fairy tales, but Don Quixote isn't really untrod ground.

I think there was a recent YA that was an homage to it, and Disney is going to do it I think, or they were at some point, if you consider Up didn't.

That said, go for it. Not like there aren't a bunch of retellings of other things kicking around.

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
The basic premise of Don Quixote is pretty well known, I think, though not, perhaps so much with the younger generation. That said, from your description of Don Quixote's parallel themes as well as the description of your story, I wouldn't worry so much about people not understanding the story. Everyone empathizes with disillusionment and a desire to escape from a world that doesn't understand you into a perfect fantasy.

As for how to transfer the more out there scenes like the windmills, perhaps you could go for something more abstract, like hacking into a government server. Perhaps MC is paranoid about some kind of government conspiracy, and tries to take it on like a nerd ninja...except all it is is an old ladies' knitting group with a suspicious name or something, so all he's done is just get a bunch of old ladies armed with sharp things mad at him. For a more ludicrous angle, perhaps he goes to a convention, and there's a huge display, perhaps a giant dragon. Perhaps MC is high on hallucinogens or something, and thinks the dragon is real. Alternatively, if you don't want him on drugs, maybe he knows the dragon isn't real, but it represents a different sort of threat. Perhaps it's an innocent display put up lovingly by the fandom or the tv show, but MC thinks it's a front for a drug ring or something, and he runs in there like an undercover cop ready to bust up some gangster @$$es, and ends up getting his own handed to him on a plate by an army of armed cosplayers?

For his actual name, perhaps his name could be Donald (or Dominic) with some standard nickname, but his nickname is Coyote, so Don (or Dom) "Coyote" ____.

As for making Sancho not seem like retarded comic relief, perhaps he empathizes with DC's quest. Maybe they're friends, and DC gives Sancho one of those "I need to do this. I can truly make the world a better place and help people," speeches, and Sancho sees that DC isn't actually doing anyone any harm and it's keeping him happy, so he goes along to mitigate the impact of the consequences and make sure DC doesn't do anything too stupid?

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on how young you're saying, Don Quixote might be not-so-known. Millennials maybe? I'm 25 and recognize the story, the rendition I grew up with coming from Wishbone, this low budget PBS show about a dog who took what was happening to him/his owner and applied it to some sort of famous story/history/lore in a fantasy/imagination. You don't quite know Don Quixote until you see a Jack Russell Terrier charging a windmill. :p

As for suggestions, I'm not quite sure but I second maybe Don Coyote as a name.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I wouldn't call The Man From La Mancha a lesser known classic. It's maybe not well known to little kids, because it's an adult novel. But it's sometimes covered in high school lit classes, and the Spanish version is sometimes taught as the assigned novel in upper level Spanish classes.

When I was a kid (ages ago), my first exposure to the character was a hotel we drove by sometimes called "The Don Quixote," and it had a picture of a guy on a horse on its sign (it also had a fake windmill out front, which I thought was oh so cool). For a long time, I thought it was pronounced "Don Kwix ote" or something like that. I think my mom finally explained about the character, which I was first exposed to as a movie musical (based, I think, on a Broadway one) on TV, with Peter O' Toole (yes, Dream the Impossible Dream).

If you make it engaging enough, I'm not sure it really matters if the kids have read the original or not, though. There were plenty of retellings of classics I was exposed to as a kid where I hadn't actually seen/read the original. I'm thinking of all those different stories for kids based on Mallory's version of the Arthur legend. I doubt most children have read that either.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Do it. Make it shine so it's a great story on its own. Then it being an updated classic will just be an additional layer of interest for those who are familiar with the original.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
Did you just call Don Quixote lesser known? I mean among small children I'd agree it's lesser known than most common, shorter fairy tales, but Don Quixote isn't really untrod ground.

I think there was a recent YA that was an homage to it, and Disney is going to do it I think, or they were at some point, if you consider Up didn't.

And Pierre Menard, of course.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
This is probably going old off-topic, but I've been thinking about this thread and all these lesser - known classics that would be really cool as MG. And Then There Were None, The Count of Monte Cristo, heck, even Moby Dick would be really fun.

You know how they say, write the book you wanna read? Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.

growingupblessings

Drinking lots of coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how other families work, but in mine, I select books for my MG reader. If that's a standard process, most parents of children in the age range you are targeting will know the original and will select the book for the kid - so the concern that the younger generation may not know the story wouldn't matter.

I enjoy retellings.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Even my five year old granddaughter knows the Don Quixote story. The story has been told over and over for adults, and for kids. Veggie Tales is far from the only translation. Standard cartoons have been using it for decades, sometimes with surprising accuracy.

In a modern translation, you can even mention the book, if you like.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
This is probably going old off-topic, but I've been thinking about this thread and all these lesser - known classics that would be really cool as MG. And Then There Were None, The Count of Monte Cristo, heck, even Moby Dick would be really fun.

You know how they say, write the book you wanna read? Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.

You should get started on that. I saw someone, I think on #MSWL, requesting MG of And Then There Were None.