where would the hyphen go

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Hello,

The dialogue is interrupted and continued again. Would the second hyphen go inside the quotes or is the correct location correct?

“Excuse me—” I pulled at the officer's hat— “where did you find him?”

I need this as a general rule. There are many sentences with hyphens that work like this. Where would the second hyphen be?

Thanks...

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
That is an em-dash, not a hyphen. I think there was a thread about this very issue recently, but I cannot find it...

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are multiple directions this sentence could go. As written, it's incorrect. The emdash (sometimes represented by two hyphens) indicates interruption or resumption after interruption, so it can't be a part of the attribute or action line.

“Excuse me—” I pulled at the officer's hat— “where did you find him?” would be correct as “Excuse me—” I pulled at the officer's hat. “--where did you find him?” if you absolutely insist on treating this as an interruption.

But I think that's a mistake. Your character is not interrupting himself so much as doing two things. I would go with:
“Excuse me.” I pulled at the officer's hat. “Where did you find him?”

In the case of a genuine interruption, a sentence halted and resumed, it goes like this:
"You have to admit--" Bobo punched me in the stomach. I poked his eye out. "--the roses are especially lovely this year."

Maryn, who will not poke anyone's eye out--today

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There's no reason for an em dash or a hyphen. Neither works at all here. This is normal dialogue, so use the same punctuation you would for any other dialogue.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Examples of this punctuation structure and its appropriate usage exist in all kinds of fictional narrative. Go look at some actual books.

There are also good grammar/style guides available on-lone, most notable of which is Purdue OWL. There you'll find answers to this and all manner of other similar technical issues.

caw

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Amen. Purdue OWL is excellent and easy to navigate. I'm fairly solid on basic grammar, but I look things up there often, especially when editing or critiquing.

Maryn, who don't know nothin'

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
I do read actual books. I don't assume there's any other kind of book. But the ones I have till now didn't have an example for this. The dialogue was interrupted with a comma. I am beta reading a book that has this structure and thus was curious.

Thanks for the Purdue OWL link. I'm going through that website and it looks pretty helpful.

I did a bit google search and

https://keligwyn.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/puncutating-interrupted-dialogue/
http://grammargeddon.com/?p=933
This says to place the dash outside the quotes.

Maybe the dash does inside the quotes when it's interrupted but the dialogue isn't continued later, and the dash goes outside the quotes when the dialogue is continued later.

Thanks. This clear lots of things.

Last edited:

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
I do read actual books. I don't assume there's any other kind of book. But the ones I have till now didn't have an example for this. The dialogue was interrupted with a comma. I am beta reading a book that has this structure and thus was curious.

Thanks for the Purdue OWL link. I'm going through that website and it looks pretty helpful.

I did a bit google search and

https://keligwyn.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/puncutating-interrupted-dialogue/
http://grammargeddon.com/?p=933
This says to place the dash outside the quotes.

Yes, it does, and that's where they belong.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
BarII said:
I see commas, not dashes.

You'll want to keep in mind, Bar, that the examples you're looking at also include the "said" dialog tag. If you separate your dialog from your narrative with commas, you need some equivalent of said.

"Excuse me," he said as he flung his badge onto the counter, "I'm here to see Richard."

It's improper to use commas to set off the dialog without a dialog tag. As Maryn showed above, it's better to use periods.

"Excuse me." He flung his badge onto the counter. "I'm here to see Richard."

As for interrupting dialog with em-dashes, here's my philosophy: It depends on whether you're actually interrupting.

You're probably familiar with interrupting dialog at the end:

"Don't you dare walk away from—"

He spun around and threw a punch straight at my face.

Something physically interrupted the utterance of the dialog, so em-dash.

We can do that in the middle of a sentence, too:

"I'm just not that excited—" the carriage jarred over railroad tracks "—about seeing Aunt Virginia again."

The character is talking and that speech is interrupted by something. She stops talking when they hit the bump and then resumes after they've passed over it.

But sometimes you'll have simultaneous action/dialog, where you want to show what someone's doing while they're talking:

"This"—he waved a hand toward Dan dancing with the ghosts on the veranda—"is going to be a problem."

You could also say (and it's more common to do so):

He waved a hand toward Dan dancing with ghosts on the veranda. "This is going to be a problem."
Or
"This." He waved a hand toward Dan dancing with the ghosts on the veranda. "Is going to be a problem."
But some people are a bit put off by this construction because "This" and "Is going to be a problem" are fragments, even though we use fragments in dialog all the time.

But if you need to use em-dashes to place non-dialog (for example, you could also use thoughts in a first-person narrative ["This"—Dear Lord, not again—"is going to be a problem."]) in the middle of dialog and you don't want to interrupt the flow with periods or dialog tags, the em-dashes go outside the quotation marks.

For your beta MS, I would offer the writer any of the following alternatives:

"Excuse me." I pulled on the officer's hat. "Where did you find him?"
I pulled on the officer's hat. "Excuse me. Where did you find him?"
"Excuse me"—I pulled on the officer's hat—"where did you find him?"

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
You'll want to keep in mind, Bar, that the examples you're looking at also include the "said" dialog tag. If you separate your dialog from your narrative with commas, you need some equivalent of said.

This.

As for interrupting dialog with em-dashes, here's my philosophy: It depends on whether you're actually interrupting...

...For your beta MS, I would offer the writer any of the following alternatives:

"Excuse me." I pulled on the officer's hat. "Where did you find him?"
I pulled on the officer's hat. "Excuse me. Where did you find him?"
"Excuse me"—I pulled on the officer's hat—"where did you find him?"

And agree with this too. I'd probably only use the m-dashes if I want to imply that the words happened as "I" was talking.

You could also just write:

"Excuse me," I said, pulling on the officer's hat. "Where did you find him?" or something like that.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks a ton. I'll mostly ask the beta to go through this thread before the next round of edits.

Have a great day ahead:D