Jurassic World

Booklover199

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here excited to see Jurassic World? I hope it's good but I kind of get the feeling it might be a bit of a let down...

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see, what could go wrong? ;)
A park full of genetically re-engineered dinosaurs, some mix-and-match gene splice jobs (possibly), people playing god in the lab, screwups at the controls, kids who just can't resist feeding the carnivores...yeah, I'd say a lot.

Synopsis: Park reopens, tech breaks down, people get et. Yeah. That's about it.:D

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If this movie is bad, I might have to throw an actual fit. Kicking, screaming, the whole thing.

(But I still think the woman Bryce Dallas Howard is playing should be Hammond's granddaughter Lex all grown up and inheriting her grandpa's legacy to face her raptor-shaped nightmares. There could have been a great scene of raptor guy trying to get her to interact with the animals, but of course she won't, then at the end she's the one who has to turn them out. I WANT THAT scene, but I won't get it. *cries*)

Booklover199

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I feel like it will be either really good or really bad. I haven't been too impressed with any of the clips or trailers but I don't want to give up hope just yet.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Can. Not. Wait.

It's been on my calendar since the day it was announced. Sadly, I have a work event all next weekend. But I will see it ASAP. Which says a lot--I do not enjoy going to the movie theater.

Chanda

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so excited, too! I read somewhere that scientifically speaking, though one is more plausible than the other movies. Just watch our little Podunk theater not carry it, lol. That'd be my luck. :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The next town over has an XD screen, which I've never seen more than half full (most people go for the $5.50 seats). I'll hopefully get a chance to go opening day, but if not, I'll go as close as I can!

It's sad that Michael Crichton didn't live long enough to see his behemoth keep stomping around.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Jurassic Park movies are mandatory in this family. I'm going to see it with my dad, brother and sister. We all saw the original together in 1993 (us kids were 10, 6 and 5 ... now 32, 28 and 27).

I am optimistic. It can't possibly worse than Jurassic Park III, which I have officially forgotten about, and the nostalgia will make it fun no matter how goofy it turns out.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Saw it, grinned like an idiot through most of it. Yeah, it's rather silly, but it ticks all the boxes. Theme park mayhem: check! Chris Pratt leading a raptor pack: check! Endless knowing references to the original: check!

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
I am optimistic. It can't possibly worse than Jurassic Park III, which I have officially forgotten about, and the nostalgia will make it fun no matter how goofy it turns out.

I honestly thought JP II was the worst of the three originals. JP III was at least palatable. Barely.
A shame we can't see Dr. Malcolm get et.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw it. It didn't feel like a 2h 10min movie, but it didn't really feel like a Jurassic Park movie, either. It felt more like a Jaws "monster lurking" movie.

I'm more convinced than ever that "Claire" should have been Lex Hammond grown up. It would have streamlined the story, because everyone already knows what happened in the first movie. It would also make the boys Tim's sons, which would explain why they'd never been to Dino Island before. It would have cut out the awkwardly shoe-horned family issues, that were mentioned, yet unimportant. But the biggest and best change would have been the ending. I'll just call it the "Claire gets a flare" scene, because if you've seen the movie, you'll know what I mean. The choice that Claire makes is fine in context. She works at the park and she knows what most of the animals can do. However, Lex was traumatized at a young age by "Paddock Nine," and for her to decide to do what Claire does, given her history, would have been an awesomely impactful moment.

Also: DR. WU SHOULD NOT EVER, NEVER, EVER BE THE BAD GUY. That is all.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly thought JP II was the worst of the three originals. JP III was at least palatable. Barely.
A shame we can't see Dr. Malcolm get et.

Oh man! JP II was my favorite movie in the series. Probably because of all the Malcolm time. I never really cared for any of the other characters. And the CGI in III was pretty atrocious.

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
Just got back from seeing it, and that was such fun! It was formulaic and kind of goofy for the first... quarter, or so? Very big-budget Syfy monster movie, the next few lines are going to be really predictable, kind of setup. And then it swerves (maybe I should have expected the twist, but I didn't), and it was 'hold on to your butts' for the rest of the way. Good times!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It really was a non-stop kind of movie. The I. Rex came into play a lot sooner than I was expecting, and you can kind of feel sorry for it, given how it was made and how it was kept.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
We're going to see it Sunday morning. I'm pretty excited about it!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man! JP II was my favorite movie in the series. Probably because of all the Malcolm time. I never really cared for any of the other characters. And the CGI in III was pretty atrocious.

Agreed. I liked II most.

We do not speak of III.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. I liked II most.

We do not speak of III.

No, we do not speak of III.

I would have loved to see Malcolm's daughter all grown up and in a central role. Especially if she ended up just like her dad. A preachy, sarcastic, flirt.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
So I saw it and I mostly liked it. I definitely had fun and enjoyed it.

I mostly agree with Cyia's appraisal that Claire's character being Hammond's granddaughter would have improved the movie dramatically. Apart from the nods and allusions, there was very little sense of continuity with the first three.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
In my headcanon Chris Pratt was Tim Hammond all grown up, working incognito. How else would such an abrasive non-team player keep his job, unless his granddaddy owned the firm? (I suppose that means Claire could no longer be his sister. These are the Hammonds, not the Lannisters.)

Vince D'Onofrio unfortunately is much too old to have been the Six Foot Turkey kid, otherwise that would have been too perfect. I'm still hoping that the actor is brought back in a sequel to finally meet the end he asked for in '93. :evil

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The pig wrangler could have been the kid from the dig. :D

(Actually Malcolm's daughter growing up to marry Tim and the boys being theirs would have been perfect. It would have required different casting, but it would have been perfect!)

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get the fascination with the kid from the dig. I don't really care about seeing him again.

Hmm. Thinking about old child characters, it occurs to me Chris Pratt could have been that kid from III. Talk about field experience.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I just got home from it. Loved it, but I always have some beef.

1. 3D is unimpressive.
2. During a freaking dinosaur air raid, they had to throw in that horrible Hollywood kissing scene, really??? Someone's family member just died a horrible death and children need to be secured, but no, let's write a kiss into that scene, into the middle of the danger zone.
3. Inappropriately timed, forced "We must not mess with nature that much, progress isn't always good" talk.
4. The dinos talking to each other and to humans, was too much kitsch. They literally SPOKE, they made noises the tone of which could be interpreted the way it was meant. "Thanks bro" - "Say nothing, bro" - "Bye bro" - "Bro.." That was just too much.
5. $20 says those divorce plans got canceled and all is well again.

The ending was like, "Free Willy" meets "Lion King". Funny as hell, actually.

Paragraphic

Word eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Saw it. Did not do 3D because, well, I never do 3D unless I have to. I like to be able to see the whole scene.

I loved it! But I like all of the Jurassic Parks. That's right, all of them! I love a good creature feature, I even love some bad ones, and this felt like another Jurassic Park, which is what I wanted. Action, tension and a weird sprinkling of humor. It was the first time I got to see one in theaters!

And I think I only caught Howard out of her heels once, which is impressive. Usually when they make some lady run around an action movie in heels it's a lot of random shoe swapping. Heels, flats, heels, one heel, flats, heels in the end. But not so much this time. Or, perhaps I was too distracted by teeth. Goodness, I do love raptors. Right up there with crocodiles.