Jurassic World

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Bunny-gypsy: And even without the gender politics, what purpose did that serve? We hardly got to know her at all. When she went through that, I kept wondering why I should care.

That was part of the reason why it jarred me: It went on for a longer time than most other victims. Why? Should I be caring about her? Should I be cheering her death like she was a bad guy (because she didn't keep an eye on the childrenz?)

I'm guessing it's for shock effect. It definitely shocked my sisters and me. It's just unfortunate who the victim was, is all.

Felt like the movie was telling me womenz are supposed to always be maternal and care about (or have, or be affectionate towards) childrenz (and Dinos?) or else they're heartless bitches.

Also, it seemed like even the main characters didn't care about her death anyway.

Loved this movie. There are rumors they might be making another one. ;)

If there is, please let there be no more "business women are bitches"/"women should be caring about childrenz" tropes.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Finally saw it a second time, and yes, my views have cemented. In the perfect movie in my head, Bryce Dallas Howard saved British Assistant from the mosasaur by sacrificing her nephews to it instead, and then she, British Assistant, Chris Pratt, and Blue the raptor all escaped the island together to live a guiltless childfree existence in a country without an extradition treaty to the USA.

Given we didn't get that movie, I rate this one on par with the Lost World and significantly below the original, and don't know if it will ever have the replay value of that one. But it was still stupid fun, at least the bits with dinosaurs. In general it needed more dinos and less of the screenwriters' weird hangups about families, working women, and shoes. Would skip to dino bits on rewatch.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I think part of it was also to make sure people didn't forget Mosie was there too, so the final sequence wasn't too out of the blue.

This was my thought, too, but there were better ways to handle that.

As soon as the Pteros started attacking, they could have had a group of random tourists run for the lagoon and jump in "to safety" while the main characters were screaming at them to stay away from the water. Then show Mosie gobbling some of them. No need to go bobbing for British nannies.

How it Should Have Ended: Jurassic World Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXGCyjJh48I

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
You might actually enjoy the raptor part. The fact that raptor training is a bad idea is heavily emphasized.

Actually, the army guy's focus on the idea struck me as particularly stupid (I mean, of COURSE it's stupid, but even clueless Mr. Army guy should have realized that). There's a reason military outfits limit their animal training to specific species and don't use, say, trained lions in battle. Why on earth would he expect better results with dinosaurs?

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the army guy's focus on the idea struck me as particularly stupid (I mean, of COURSE it's stupid, but even clueless Mr. Army guy should have realized that). There's a reason military outfits limit their animal training to specific species and don't use, say, trained lions in battle. Why on earth would he expect better results with dinosaurs?
yeah, that true. I can't say I was impressed by any of the characters. The movie seems to rely heavily on The Idiot Ball (you know, when the plot can only move forward if one character temporarily becomes an idiot).

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
yeah, that true. I can't say I was impressed by any of the characters. The movie seems to rely heavily on The Idiot Ball (you know, when the plot can only move forward if one character temporarily becomes an idiot).
To be fair, Vince D'Onofrio's character was permanently an idiot.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
D'Onofrio's character was permanently in search of the mustache he needed for twirling purposes.

Isla Nubar was purchased from Costa Rica, not exactly a place the U.S. military should have veto rights.

Databear

Registered
Reaction score
I saw JW and I wasn't expecting much. I thought it was really bad. I didn't care about the characters. The action scenes were clumsy. The script was cheesy. And the references to the first movie were so heavy I might as well have been watching the first one.
Even some of the CGI seemed off.

The first one was on TV and I watched it. The pacing of the action really stuck out to me. Was directed with far more finesse then JW.

Tora Uran

Registered
Reaction score
Website
amazon.com
This movie is really only good if you want to see dinosaurs fight each other. Other than that everything else was disappointing and reminded me how much I enjoyed Jurassic Park and wanted to rewatch that again.

Also the scene with the British assistant dying really disturbed me and there is no way I could ever sit through watching that again. I did not get the point and it seemed so mean spirited and pointless.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also the scene with the British assistant dying really disturbed me and there is no way I could ever sit through watching that again. I did not get the point and it seemed so mean spirited and pointless.

It reminded me somewhat of the scene from the first JP sequel ("The Lost World"?), where the guy who was trying to keep the trailer with Jeff Goldblum & crew from going over a cliff, gets snacked on by Tyrannosaurs. That scene pissed me off, because the doomed fellow was the one with a clue, acting selflessly, and we get to watch him torn apart. Ew.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
It reminded me somewhat of the scene from the first JP sequel ("The Lost World"?), where the guy who was trying to keep the trailer with Jeff Goldblum & crew from going over a cliff, gets snacked on by Tyrannosaurs. That scene pissed me off, because the doomed fellow was the one with a clue, acting selflessly, and we get to watch him torn apart. Ew.

All the movies struggle a bit with the balance between horror and adventure. The first one did...all right, I thought, although it was a bit more horror than I would have liked. This one, IMHO, did not strike the balance at all well.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking. (That's what happens when you're on a deadline.) It would make a darkly ironic sense if D'Onofrio's character was the kid from the dig all grown up. Not only does the kid share more physical traits with him than Owen, but he's brash and irreverent toward the power of the animals in front of him, and gets given a real-time lesson in exactly the kind of death Dr. Grant terrified him with as a child. It's a full circle moment.

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score
So how are you guys feeling about the planned sequel, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, due out in June 2018? Pratt, Howard and B.D. Wong will all be back, and Jeff Goldblum will join them. There is some very vague info about the plot out, which might or might not be distractors.

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score
Simply put, can't wait. Like many, when a boy I was deep into paleontology for a while, and it never really left me. Jurassic Park is still my favorite movie of all time. I almost never watch a movie even a second time, and I've watched Jurassic Park more times than I can count. Most of the sequels were OK, but a bit weak in the character department. The characters in Jurassic Park were outstanding. Jurassic World was better in that department than the others although still not as good as the original. But, as long as they keep introducing new dinosaurs and use the latest special effect, I am there. Saw Jurassic World on opening day in IMAX, and hope to do the same for the sequel. I just hope this isn't another case where the plotting and characterization fall off again.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite too. My boss knows not to expect too much from me the day before one releases, and we have to discuss it in great detail at staff meeting after. ;) There were for sure things I'd change about JW but I can't wait for JW2.

It's weird because I'm not by any means a movie buff. I rarely go to the movies, but I'd never miss one of these on the big screen. JP was opening night, front row.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
If you ever have a chance to go to Jurassic Park in Concert, go. Just go.

ETA: It's like seeing it again for the first time.

Last edited:

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the humans in JW were pretty pathetic, but thankfully the dinosaurs were on hand to save the day.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the trailer dropped. I was all ready with the snark about how both palaeontology and CGI development stopped in 1993 in this movie's world, and then HOLY SHIT IS CHRIS PRATT OUTRUNNING A PYROCLASTIC CLOUD?

This movie is gunna be such a spectacular white hot mess.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
How many times is the T-Rex going to save the main characters from another predator at the last second before she decides to let nature take its course (or, as this is Jurassic, let life find its way)?