Pet peeve about book covers?

CetiAlphaVI

Registered
Reaction score
One of my pet peeves is seen more often in non-fiction books, and especially in internet marketing circles. I hate it when people do the 3D mockups of their books for the product photo. They make the book really thick like it's a 1000 pages long but when you look at the page count or download it's like 26 pages or less.

gtbun

Professional Book Designer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffreybunting.co.uk
When a book gets designed without a designer involved at some point. Whatever the reason, the book is always going to look poor. Book designers are able to exist for a reason, because they know a lot about book design and what makes books look good. I'm biased, yes, as a book designer. But it's because of this that I've seen so many book covers, and you can spot a badly done self-published book a mile off. But worse than that is when a mainstream book from an actual publisher does it - again, you can really tell when they've phoned it in, given it off to some junior designer that doesn't know what they're doing. So, in short, badly designed books.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my pet peeves is seen more often in non-fiction books, and especially in internet marketing circles. I hate it when people do the 3D mockups of their books for the product photo. They make the book really thick like it's a 1000 pages long but when you look at the page count or download it's like 26 pages or less.

I don't like those either.

Too many books have too much distance between the front and back covers.

caw

I'm not sure what that means.

When a book gets designed without a designer involved at some point. Whatever the reason, the book is always going to look poor.

I disagree. There are people who are not designers that have a natural eye.

Things I don't like
Unreadable titles
Mismatch character image--like the protag is a male, but the cover show a female, or the protag is a brunette, but the cover show a blonde

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realize this was an older thread. :( Still good info. and great to add to. Langadune, I'm still not sure, since it about cover design. I sent a message to the bird to find out. The post was left 3 months ago, hopefully birds have a long memory. :tongue

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do any of you guys have a pet peeve when looking at book covers?

When I can't clearly read the title or author's name. Bad typography bugs the heck out of me. Almost as much as off-center, tilted or otherwise skewed covers. Then there are those that just plain suck. :)

I have a minor annoyance when the cover has nothing to do with the book itself. I got a "free" Kindle book that had a couple and an old mansion on the cover. The book, a mystery/police procedural (poorly done for both), had two women as the protagonists and a female lead detective and took place in a high-rise condo in Manhattan. The book was badly written, ill conceived and had a convoluted plot that spiraled out of control, plus all three women had matching characterizations, but the cover stood out as a random pre-made cover selected because it was available. Amazingly, it had 22 five-star reviews and three, now four, one-star reviews that called into question any five star review.

Jeff

gtbun

Professional Book Designer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffreybunting.co.uk
I have found a few self-published books that inexplicably have a dozen or so five-star reviews out of fifteen - to pluck a number out of thin air. It's bizarre, misleading, and when you actually read the book and see the other reviews you can't help but think something fishy has gone on. I recently read "In Defense of Troy: The Prince's Ascent" - a title that didn't actually have much relevance to the book as no prince ascended at any point really (spoiler). But it was badly written and poorly conceived and didn't deal with the source material that well, especially in relation to the characters. And yet it had all these great reviews, I was baffled. I was also annoyed as I hadn't realised it was self-published until I received the thing, complete with its pixelated cover. Add that to the list of pet peeves: a disregard of printing resolutions, that lead to out of focus and pixelated images. Boo.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
The trend among self-publishers to have those sort of CGI humans on their covers... I'm not sure what they're called but they look like stills from The Sims 2. I never even read the blurbs of those books because the covers look so amateurish.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
Amazingly, it had 22 five-star reviews and three, now four, one-star reviews that called into question any five star review.

Jeff

The trick is to look at the spread of reviews. Amazon reviewers tend to reach for 5-star more often than they should, but if you look at mine, for example, my 5-stars are spread over the course of over 18 months (and mixed in with some 3- and 4- star reviews), because they happened as people stumbled across my book. If someone gets a burst of 5-star reviews that all happen in a week or two, it's nearly a given that they are coming from some kind of review farm.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm a bit tired of the "dude/dudette with a cloak" covers that seem to dominate fantasy covers (both big 5 and self published). I understand why they're so popular: they let the reader know it's a fantasy novel that will likely have some intrigue and skulking in shadows; they create a dark, moody feel; hooded cloaks are flexible and ubiquitous enough garments to fit into a wide range of periods and settings; and they tend to hide specific features like hair color, build, facial features, and even race (and sadly, this last is often done intentionally).

But they've become such a cliche. I'm not crazy about half dressed women, women in tortured body poses, or women in completely impractical armor on covers either. Don't some publishers know that most fantasy readers are not teenaged boys these days?

Another thing I tend to dislike are covers that are too busy, perhaps because the artist wants to include every major character or exactly reproduce a scene from the novel. Less is often more with cover design. It's not good if a cover makes me go, "WTF is that supposed to be?"

Some personal things that tend to make me scroll past would be covers with a protag in leather pants and a modern cityscape in the background, because UF isn't generally my thing. But this isn't a design flaw so much as branding, and it probably lets people who do like UF know what the book is.

However, the biggest deal breaker is any cover that makes it immediately obvious that the book is self published and the writer didn't get a cover that was professionally designed by someone with background in cover design.

Here's the thing: I have a bias against self-published books. I've read and enjoyed some, but the market is flooded with un-edited, cobbled-together, poorly written offerings, and I've got a huge stack of books waiting to be read on my e-reader and night stand. I tend to stick with trade published novels for this reason, unless I know the author or have heard many good things about them. And if I stumble across a trade published novel while browsing (or one pops up on my recommendations list), the only way I'll likely check it out it is if it's so professional in its presentation it fools me into thinking it's a "real" book of comparable quality to what the big five put out (and by the time I realize it's self pubbed, I'm intrigued, so I give it a try).

So I will not peruse anything that looks like someone designed the cover themselves with programs like Poser or Photoshop, or that someone relied on their own or a friend's un-professional talents with crayons (seriously, how many trade-published novels for adults have crayon drawings, no matter how well done), or a cover that looks like someone purchased the rights to a nice enough piece of artwork via deviantart or some such site, abut they just slapped it on and randomly picked a font without any understanding of how to make the composition work as a book cover.