Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Daylily crosses:
Such A Pretty Face X Sunset Buddy.
Seedling UF, phone home.

(In daylily breeding, "UF" stands for "unusual form".)

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
And now for the amazing recap:
Shakeysix wins for Haiku honors, with Kylabelle in a close second! Equally significant was an equal number of respondents loving AW Haiku and saying, "Um, no." Cheese did sway the tide, however, which made AW Haiku favorable as opposed to neighsayers.

Sadly, Orlando Bloom had no votes, which truly makes me sad in my heart.

All in all, it was a good turnout!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Chile relleno

Anaheim pepper
slit lengthwise, stuffed with jack cheese:
microwave at five.

(PS--be sure to scrape all the seeds out before stuffing and pass the salsa please!)

Last edited:

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Haiku structure

I love Haiku that are Haiku. The problem with the Westernised version is that it's usually not anything more than a hollow, distorted misrepresentation. Often mistakenly seen as a simple poem, original Haiku hide several layers of complexity behind a deceptively simple facade. The final verse is intended to reveal a profound truth or poignant thought, while the first 2 lines intend to place 2 basic subjects in juxtaposition (commonly split by exclamation or punctuation, i.e. 'cutting'). The reveal is often an unusual observation of interaction, or the result of a comparison between the subjects.

>subject one goes here<
>and here the second subject<
>insert profound truth<

An alternative structure is to cut via the entire first line with an exclamation or supposition, and then lead to the reveal to show how subject 1 (now in line 2) affects subject 2 (final line).

That said, I'm no purist--experimentation, breaking convention, these are important in poetry (but it is equally important to know what conventions are being bent/broken)--there are also those that believe the whole 5-7-5 concept is a misconception; indeed, it seems purely to be a self-imposed 'arithmetrical' element observed by English language Haiku-ists. Personally, I feel that limitation subtracts more from the form and its original intention than that it adds.

Ancient valleys—
glass and steel structures,
myth nowhere between.

It also saddens me that such a beautiful and meaningful art-form has been reduced in many cases to a medium for parody. It's a sorry, sorry thing to note that in our assimilation (better said appropriation) of such things, we tend to strip away most of what makes that something special. Yet we celebrate that... Sorry for being a party pooper :(

Last edited:

CDSinex

Imagine something clever here.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope anyone may post haiku here...

So that's how it works—
The sound of opening buds
awakens the bees

CDSinex

Imagine something clever here.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spring not quite over—
The meadow fills with fledglings
testing their new wings.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
there are also those that believe the whole 5-7-5 concept is a misconception; indeed, it seems purely to be a self-imposed 'arithmetrical' element observed by English language Haiku-ists. Personally, I feel that limitation subtracts more from the form and its original intention than that it adds.

Plants grow where they may.
Though a small pot be their home,
with guidance, they bloom.

Words grow where they may.
Squeezed into western haiku,
Five-seven-five works.