Fitbit is really disappointed in me. :(

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let me just say here that it's not my fault. I paid for my gym membership, but none of the members of my gym did any stepping on my behalf.

Bloody slackers.

So going to sack them. :(

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Next time you enter the gym just give someone else your fitbit, ask them to wear it for you, while you go and have tea or a sauna/steam session.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
:D Has it told you off?

I hate machines that tell you off. The automatic till in the supermarket told me off the other day. I told it what I'd do to it if I ever buy a screwdriver. ....

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Ah yes, the Fitbit sad face of shame. Just hop around on the spot for a bit, that'll sort it! :D

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
If you throw it out the window and then run over it in the car, does that count?

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Is that one of those things that counts steps based on wrist movement? If so, do you have a teenage boy around you can give it to?

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
:D Has it told you off?

I hate machines that tell you off. The automatic till in the supermarket told me off the other day. I told it what I'd do to it if I ever buy a screwdriver. ....

Me too.

Several years ago, I was using the Wii Fit game, and one time when I turned it on, it told me that I'd gained a few pounds since last time. Then it gave me a list of options and made me choose which one I thought was the reason for my weight gain. I chose "I don't know" because frankly, I wasn't too worried about a few pounds and wasn't going to justify such a small gain to a video game. Then the game said something like, "Really? Are you SURE you don't know?" Hmph.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh my lor... a machine trying to make you feel guilty. That would be straight into the bin. Fecking cheek!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me too.

Several years ago, I was using the Wii Fit game, and one time when I turned it on, it told me that I'd gained a few pounds since last time. Then it gave me a list of options and made me choose which one I thought was the reason for my weight gain. I chose "I don't know" because frankly, I wasn't too worried about a few pounds and wasn't going to justify such a small gain to a video game. Then the game said something like, "Really? Are you SURE you don't know?" Hmph.

I still use my Wii Fit faithfully, and the weight gain reasons make me crazy because there's no option for "I had a drink with dinner last night; so WHAT?" or "I'm post-menopausal, BITCH," or "I ate my feelings yesterday; THANKS SO MUCH for your support."

Actually, none of that bothers me as much as the little moan it gives off occasionally when I step on the scale. For those of you who don't Wii, I'M NOT KIDDING.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry... it moans when you step it? Seriously? With the passive agressive nagging it seems it was programmed by a Jewish Mother.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry... it moans when you step it? Seriously? With the passive agressive nagging it seems it was programmed by a Jewish Mother.

Not all the time. Sometimes it'll say "GREAT!" in its high squeaky voice. There's a third option but I can't remember it for the life of me at the moment. (Like I said, post-menopausal.)

ETA: Remembered the other option - it's a surprised-sounding "OH!" Could be interpreted as "OH! You've lost so much weight!" or "OH! You're so much fatter than you were yesterday!"

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Yes, that would go straight in the bin for me too. I hate perky, and I hate nagging. That's why I won't do fitness classes and trainers. I certainly don't want a mechanical thing doing it.

Mccardey, do you wear the fitbit all day, or just at the gym? Wearing it all day might give you a better feeling about how much exercise you're getting in a day, and it might be more than you think. I'm quite athletic, so I use mine more for fun (and because I get reimbursed on my health insurance if it tracks 10,000 steps a day). But it's been quite interesting to see how many steps I actually take in a typical day, even without formal exercise.

Yesterday, for example, I did a five mile run. That got me around 10,000 steps. But you know how many I steps I logged for the day? Over 20,000! Granted, yesterday I cleaned my apartment, went to the farmers' market, and walked to the grocery store, so it was certainly more steps than usual. Still, I've found it's a rare day when I don't get in at least 6000 -- just living my life. And that stuff counts, too -- walks to the store, going up and down stairs, gardening, housecleaning, pacing while on the phone. Heck, I pin mine on as soon as I get up in the morning!

FYI, I've also found it matters where I wear the fitbit. If I attach it to my shoe, it tracks more steps. (Wrist is second -- unless I'm doing something like upper body weights where my arms move more than my feet. Hip is third.)

Oh, and strange but true -- it logs more steps if I walk 5 miles than if I run them. About a thousand more! I'm sure it's because my running stride is longer than my walking stride, hence fewer "steps."

ETA:

I live in NYC, don't own a car, and walk or take public transport everywhere, which probably means I walk more in the average day than most. Still -- my 70 year old mom, who lives in the 'burbs and drives everywhere, wore my fitbit thing for a couple of days while I was visiting, and found she chalked up 3000 steps just doing housework and laundry in a house with a basement and a second floor. She typically does a 2 mile walk most days -- that gets her up to 7000-8000 steps.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I live in NYC, don't own a car, and walk or take public transport everywhere, which probably means I walk more in the average day than most.

Yup. My daily walking step count (excluding running) shot up dramatically after moving to Boston for the summer.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I like my fitbit for the challenges, though I was not happy that "steps" are counted by wrist movement, since often when I'm seriously walking, I'm moving my arms to the music I'm listening to. But give my a quantifiable challenge, and I love to beat it. Give me a person to defeat in a quantifiable way, and I'll keep going.

OTOH, I quickly figured out problems with my shoes after a few days of exceeding 10K steps, and I haven't found replacements that don't kill my feet with these challenges.

As for the Wii, all I can say is: :Wha:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is that I stopped wearing it. Also I stopped walking, because of the Terrible Laziness. :(

ETA: On the plus side, I lost a kilo, because absolutely not one muscle. Not one. :Sun: (Muscles are terrible things.)

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Do you have a pet? Attach the fitbit to the pet's collar and watch those steps add up! Or perhaps a ceiling fan.