Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Inkwell Management

figuring it all out
    HMS,

What agent has your full?
    “But the beginning of things, of a world especially, is necessarily vague, tangled, chaotic, and exceedingly disturbing. How few of us ever emerge from such beginning! How many souls perish in its tumult!” -Kate Chopin

figuring it all out
    Catherine requested my full off my partial today!!! Incredibly excited!!!
    “But the beginning of things, of a world especially, is necessarily vague, tangled, chaotic, and exceedingly disturbing. How few of us ever emerge from such beginning! How many souls perish in its tumult!” -Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by AuntB View Post
    Catherine requested my full off my partial today!!! Incredibly excited!!!
    OMG - Lucky you! That's awesome. Yay you!
    Women's Fiction and YA

figuring it all out
    Thanks rtrgirl!

I'm beyond excited! This is the first full I've had requested off of a partial rather than just a query. And Catherine's definitely at the top of my list!

Doesn't Bite
    Has anyone had any interactions with Nathaniel Jacks of InkWell Management? He appears to be interested in sci/fi and fantasy but I'm struggling to find out anything specific.

I'm interested in querying Mr. Pine at Inkwell. Anyone have any response times for this agent?

Me love books much
    hey folks

I know Catherine Drayton has a reputation for being FAST but I think I've got you all beat. She replied with a request for 50 pages 1 minute after I sent my query. I thought it was an automated response and was stunned to see a human reply

Will let you know if I get the big "R" or a request for full.

Hero, villain, angel, demon AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    This speed everyone's reporting is making me afraid mine got lost. It hasn't been a horribly long time so I'm not too worried, just longer than it looks like she usually takes.

Hero/Villain: Querying
    Super/Human: With a beta
    Master/Puppet: With betas

A Paranormal Bromance: Perpetually waiting

This week, I'm in: Ohio

Me love books much
    hey Sage

Good luck! I'd say that half of all my queries never get a reply and once sufficient time has passed (8 weeks or so), I'll usually resubmit to someone else at the agency if I think they are a decent fit for the project. It's possible the original query got lost but I tend to think a no-reply is a no.

I think you can do better. Sarah Christine's Avatar
    Where did the floor go? (This is not an existential question.)
    Sage, I FINALLY got a rejection from my 10/19 resent query to Catherine on 1/20 by what must have been her assistant.

I guess she only replies right away when she's interested. But by the time I received the rejection, I was like, "..........Why bother?" I had already checked her name off and started querying an entirely different project.
    Scar: Trunked ftw.
    WatW: Trunked also ftw.
    WIP: FINISHED130k (I hate epics.)

Twittering about your driving skills. And stuff. // Shared Art Blog for sketchbook vomit.

Jaws has nightmares too ILove2Write's Avatar
    To all of you who queried Catherine Drayton, did you email her through the general submissions from their website or her personal email listed on AgentQuery?

@ILove2Write: I e-queired on 1/26/10 and sent to submissions@inkwellmanagement.com. No reply yet.

figuring it all out
    I also queried at the general submissions email, though I put Attn: Catherine Drayton after my title in the subject line.

That was on 10/24
    rec'd partial request on 10/27
    full request on 12/08
    emailed full on 12/09 and rec'd confirmation of receipt same day

Just over two months now... and I have no nails left to bite.

Quote Originally Posted by djaffe View Post
    I'd say that half of all my queries never get a reply and once sufficient time has passed (8 weeks or so), I'll usually resubmit to someone else at the agency if I think they are a decent fit for the project. It's possible the original query got lost but I tend to think a no-reply is a no.
    I've gotten enough requests after a few months (one after a year) that I don't do this. The only time I do consider it (considering it now), is with the next project.

figuring it all out
    Got an email from Catherine today. My heart jumped into my throat thinking it was a reply to my full, when in reality... it was another email saying she liked my partial, and asking for the full(which she already had). I was so confused, and was stressing trying to figure out what to say in a reply, but luckily she emailed back shortly apologizing and saying it was a mistake. She then said she was about to start reading and wanted to make sure I hadn't accepted representation.

I have to say though... now, at least, I know the upgrade from partial to a full wasn't a fluke, because she's done it TWICE.

Also, now I'm panicking everytime my phone vibrates with a new email. Urgh.

lol how strange, AuntB, but congrats...again!

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
    *Now available.*
    Add on: Goodreads
    Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

My twitter is real.

As is my blog

I think you can do better. Sarah Christine's Avatar
    Where did the floor go? (This is not an existential question.)
    Just an update, I queried Catherine this time on 2/11, and received a remarkably speedy rejection the next day. Maybe they're a little disorganized?
    Scar: Trunked ftw.
    WatW: Trunked also ftw.
    WIP: FINISHED130k (I hate epics.)

Twittering about your driving skills. And stuff. // Shared Art Blog for sketchbook vomit.

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
    I'm part of the chorus that's frustrated because I don't know which agent to query.

I'm going to do the horribly tacky thing and just address it "Good Morning." Hopefully whoever goes through the e-mails will identify a book with "Murder" in the title as a mystery and send it to someone who might enjoy it.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrenteseau View Post
    I'm part of the chorus that's frustrated because I don't know which agent to query.

I'm going to do the horribly tacky thing and just address it "Good Morning." Hopefully whoever goes through the e-mails will identify a book with "Murder" in the title as a mystery and send it to someone who might enjoy it.
    Let us know if you ever do figure out who's the "mystery agent" there.

Inkwell Management

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Inkwell? After querying the agent, I got an email over 2 weeks ago from Ethan Bassoff asking for the first 100 pages of my novel. I haven't heard back. After a week, it felt promising. After 2 weeks, I think he passed on the novel without ever letting me know. Anyone else get this kind of brush-off?

...it's anything but. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    I'm sure a mod will be along to move this to here--> <snipped>

But in general (that is, in the industry), responses to partial submissions can take months to receive.

I'd wait before writing this one off. But keep querying in the meantime.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 03-19-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: threads merged, thanks!

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Hi, Sarah, and welcome to AW.

There's a thread on Inkwell Management here.

There's also a general index to pre-existing threads here so you can see if an agency is being discussed.

It usually takes agents a while to give a response after they've asked for a partial so a fortnight is nothing. Personally, I'd give it a couple of months and then nudge to see if he's had a chance to read it.

MM
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 03-19-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: threads merged, thanks!

YA/UF/Paranormal author Sara Lou's Avatar
    I queried Catherine on the 16th of March (submissions@inkwellmanagement.com) and have yet to receive a reply--I know it's still early. The posts are confusing and the agency seems a little inconsistent. I have no idea when I should expect a response.

Huh, I still haven't heard after 2.5 months.

I had to query Catherine twice. I queried her at the beginning of Feb and then again mid March. She got back to me within three days the second try.

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
    *Now available.*
    Add on: Goodreads
    Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

My twitter is real.

As is my blog

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast