Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Inkwell Management

Sent a query to Nathaniel Jacks yesterday - here's hoping for a reply!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Has anyone heard from Charlie Olson lately?

Hi lisa17!

I EQ'd him on 1/18-no reply as of yet...
    Last edited by hester; 02-06-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: forgot the "of"
    YA psychological thriller--repped and revising.

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.

Equeried Kim Witherspoon on 11/16 and got request for full from her assistant.

Yippee!

This is my first full on a 'cold' equery. Peace...
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work" ~ Chuck Close

For the score-keepers, I e-queried on 2 FEB, got an R on 29 MARCH.

Back with new name, no dachshunds ThunderBoots's Avatar

Response to a Query/Drayton

Does Ms. Drayton always ... eventually ... respond?

She isn't the strong, silent type, is she?

(no response= no interest, go away, you're bothering me, kid)

bershka
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderBoots View Post
    Does Ms. Drayton always ... eventually ... respond?

She isn't the strong, silent type, is she?

(no response= no interest, go away, you're bothering me, kid)
    She must be really busy. After three months, I received a query rejection from her assistant.

Back with new name, no dachshunds ThunderBoots's Avatar

Red face

Three months to reject a query?!

Well, it still is nicer to eventually get some validation that you & your query really do exist ...

Thanks for the info.

figuring it all out
    Hi everybody! Does anybody know if anyone other than Catherine Drayton represents Fantasy, at Inkwell ? I've been reading their bios but it's not very clear (reading her bio, for example, I wouldn't guess she represents fantasy). Thank you.

According to QueryTracker, none of the agents (including C Drayton) represents Fantasy.
    The Secret at Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery available now.

My website

figuring it all out
    Well, yeah, that's strange, right? She represents Becca Fitzpatrick, who writes fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    According to QueryTracker, none of the agents (including C Drayton) represents Fantasy.
    Sometimes it's better to go to the statistics pages where you can find the actual responses of an agent to various genres. For Drayton, for instance, her two most queried genres are YA and middle grade, but she also gets queries for fantasy and often requests material:

Genre: queries/positive responses/(% positive)
    YA: 434/75 (17%)
    MG: 114/16 (14%)
    F: 46/7 (15%)

Lurker, now activated. :-) Smiley0501's Avatar
    I believe what Fitzpatrick writes falls under the category of "paranormal romance" since it is about fallen angels (correct me if I am wrong).
    You can call me *~Smiley~*

So Goth That I Was Born Black AW Moderator Kitty27's Avatar
    Catherine Drayton requested a partial of my YA last year. She ultimately passed but was very nice.

Wait a minute! It says they accept all genres. Hopefully,that includes my baby,horror!

Good luck to everyone querying and with the fulls and partials. Fingers crossed for y'all!
    Tupac Shakur,the greatest rapper of all time,is now in the National Recording Registry

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/YA Novel Coming 2015.(FINALLY.)
    Chocolate&Coffee are necessary for a happy life.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
    RC Wilcox,RIP

Got the hang of it, here tbrosz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    Some do. I got my Publishers Marketplace "deals of the day" e-mail today. A debut author, Amy Ewing, sold a series "set in a dark fairytale world where technology and magic intermingle." Charlie Olson got her a three-book "major" deal at auction, and the agency also landed overseas rights and movie rights. Wow.

practical experience, FTW
    I queried Allison Hunter on May 04 and got no answer. Is she a "no answer" = no agent? And if she is, is this the kind of agency where no from one agent is no from all agents?
    "Good sex is like good Bridge: if you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand." - Mae West

Gnawing my hairless tail Cricket18's Avatar
    I don't think it's a no from one is a no from all, Queenviv.

I got a full request from N@t J@cks. Was super excited. Hasn't been long at all, but, as usual, I'm already losing hope....

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket18 View Post
    I don't think it's a no from one is a no from all, Queenviv.

I got a full request from N@t J@cks. Was super excited. Hasn't been long at all, but, as usual, I'm already losing hope....
    Well, I'll give her another couple of weeks before I resend the query then. Maybe it got stuck on her spam filter.

And congrats on the full!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    "Good sex is like good Bridge: if you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand." - Mae West

I just got a request from David Forrer, does anyone know his response times?

Beating a Dead Horse

Equeried Kim Witherspoon on 11/16 and got request for full from her assistant on 2/8.

No response despite two email queries on status since then.

Have two partials out, time to resaddle. Peace...
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work" ~ Chuck Close

Banned

InkWell Management

Not sure if this is the right place for this post, so pls set me right if I need to go elsewhere with it.

Whilst looking for an agent who handles cross-genre materials, I came across InkWell. Here are their submission guidelines:

http://inkwellmanagement.com/contact/

There are a few things that raise a red flag to me, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this agency, or can comment on my concerns below. Perhaps these are standard sort of things that I've just never seen spelled out like InkWell does it.

First, I found it a bit odd that InkWell had a TOA for a submission. When I read it, I found this nugget:

<p>I further agree that (i) no confidential or fiduciary relationship exists between InkWell Management and me; [snip...] (iii) InkWell Management and/or any of its clients may use without obligation to me any material which is not legally protected; (iv) InkWell Management and/or any of its clients may have created, may create, or may otherwise have access to materials, ideas, and creative works which may be similar or identical to the Material with regard to theme, motif, plots, characters, formats, or other attributes; and (v) I shall not be entitled to any compensation because of the proposed use or use of any such similar or identical material that may be or may have been created by InkWell Management and/or any of its clients or that may have been created by InkWell Management and/or any of its clients that may have come to InkWell Management and/or any of its clients from any other independent source.</p>

Now, part of me understands that InkWell wants to protect itself should it have similar materials. And it does at the stipulation about "legally protected". Would copyright laws protect my work from this contract?

Then there's:
    InkWell ... may have created, may create, or may otherwise have access to materials, ideas, and creative works which may be similar or identical (//w - emphasis mine) to the Material with regard to theme, motif, plots, characters, formats, or other attributes

Yikes. I dunno but it seems like I'm giving away my "material". Am I?

TIA

practical experience, FTW mayqueen's Avatar
    You might check out this thread about InkWell to read about various members' experiences with them.

I'm not a legal genius, but those terms seem pretty standard. Your work is protected by copyright because you wrote it. My reading of that suggestions that they simply don't want to be sued if they rep a book that's similar to someone's they don't rep.
    "I'd rather be a cyborg than a goddess." -Donna Haraway

Banned
    Thanks for the link to that thread. Doesn't seem like anyone has actually cried, "They took our jobs!" (South Park reference, anyone?) I gotta say, I'm not in favor of that language, and if _that_ is how they greet you at the door... one must wonder what it's like once your inside.

crazy mean SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    retlaw, I've merged your new thread in Ask The Agent with the existing one in BR&BC.

As for the clause you've highlighted: why would you object to this? They're attempting to protect themselves and you from misunderstandings later. While I think it's sad that they've decided they have to do this, I don't see any problem with it. You might like to consider why they think it's necessary, by the way.

Doesn't Bite
    Hmm, surely they don't need to protect themselves from creating identical materials?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast