The Daily Rejection, Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
Antonin - sorry about the R. I liked Rialto but I feel like you're not sold on any of those words, so perhaps there is something better? I know most of these won't be what you're looking for, maybe this link will help. https://www.powerthesaurus.org/meeting_place/synonyms

I didn't like your Slovak translations, sorry. Because I didn't recognize the word, I skipped over it.

To anyone else who had rejections in the last week, sorry to hear it. It's really not a fun process, is it? Yet we keep on doing it!

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
So today I was querying an agent using an online form. They had a box for everything. Like word count, summary, fiction genre, ect.

On the agent's profile I wanted to query, she told writers to paste the first page of the MS in the summary of work box, and I totally meant to do that...then completely forgot about it. :( Somewhere between pulling up my query document, my MS document, and pasting everything, the first page stuff slipped my mind.

Are agents forgiving about this type of stuff? Does it just depend on the agent? I really, really hope I haven't just shot myself in the foot.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Belle, did you also provide pages as a part of the submission, or is the first page not available to the agent at all? Is there any way to revise your submission or just do a new one, indicating if you can that you messed up the first sub?

It probably depends on the agent and how intrigued they are by your query. If they are in a "looking for a reason to say no" frame of mind, this could hurt you. But then, I once had an agent, whom I'd addressed by a different agent's name (oopsie), laugh it off and ask for pages, anyway.

If someone queries long enough, I think it's inevitable they'll do something cringe-worthy. Try not to beat yourself up about being human :Hug2:

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
The first page isn't avalible at all. :( I think I will submit again when I get home from work and apologize for messing up. This time I'll include the first page. Hopefully she'll be forgiving.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
The first page isn't avalible at all. :( I think I will submit again when I get home from work and apologize for messing up. This time I'll include the first page. Hopefully she'll be forgiving.

She should be. Even agents aren't perfect. *coughs* And I'm sure you're far from the first to hit "submit" too soon.

mckey

ANTM winner
Registered
Reaction score
I have renewed my querytracker sub, to stalk response times support the site.

How long does everyone leave between query batches?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
In the past, I haven't stuck to a set schedule. I'd send out more queries when I was frustrated with crickets or had to write off a query due to nonresponse or an R. I tried to keep at least a minimum number outstanding. As the process continued, the minimum I wanted rose.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Another rejection from Clarkesworld, and the last rejection I got was personal! I swear I'm never going to get into a higher paying market, let alone a book deal (when I write another).

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
What does a personal rejection look like? In general. Just want to be prepared...

Depends on the publication. In this case the usual reject my stuff in less than three days. This one story they held for a week, then said "You were very close but unfortunately we're still going to pass on it." There's a website called rejectionwiki that helps you tell the difference.

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the publication. In this case the usual reject my stuff in less than three days. This one story they held for a week, then said "You were very close but unfortunately we're still going to pass on it." There's a website called rejectionwiki that helps you tell the difference.

Will check it out, thank you:)

mckey

ANTM winner
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the rejection Taylor.

Thanks Hathor. I feel with the amount of non-responders I'm not sure what I'd be waiting for between batches, though hopefully I will get something back.

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Sunday, everyone. It's a cold one here in TN.

While searching for the next #pitmad date for a different MS, I came across this thing called Pitch Madness. It looks like it's different from #pitmad, but I'm still a little confused by it. Has anyone done this one before? It's on Feb. 24th and you have submit(?) a 35 word max pitch (it doesn't say tweet) along with the first 250 words.

Then the #pitmad party will be on March 23rd. Just wondering if anyone has had any expirance and/or advice.

Thanks, and also :Hug2: for fellow writers in the rejection/no response trenches.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I've tried PitchMadness before. I never got anywhere in this or the other contests requiring shorter pitches. I may do it this year if I come up with a pitch I like and see if I'm interested in any of the identified agents who will be participating.

It isn't a twitter thing open to all. You submit and the slush readers identify who participates in the agent round, which happens on Brenda Drake's website. Whether or not you make the cut, you can still participate in #pitmad (as can agents who haven't indicated interest in the contest).

Sometimes these things have a form to enter, sometimes you send an email formatted as they specify. It will be specified closer to the contest entry date.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
The information for Pitch Madness is here. Looks like it's similar to contests like PitchSlam, where you submit (via a website form) a 35-word pitch & your first 250 words, and winners are featured on a blog for agents to review. Though it looks like the judges who pick the teams also help the writers polish their entries, so if you get in that's a critique on your first page, which is pretty good.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Pitch Madness is the main event, PitMad on Twitter is the followup. Seems to me these contests heavily favor YA. But there's pretty small risk to trying.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Cool stuff, Antonin.

I'll email the query later. It keeps mutating and adapting. I'm currently up to (hopefully) lucky version 7.

As I've said any number of times, I hate queries. Especially when it turns out folks assume stuff about your story that aren't accurate. You try to fix that and then it's too long or there are additional problems. Ugh. But everybody likes my one sentence description, so I'm putting that first now.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'll do you one better. I have two new queries. I've reached the point of not knowing what is good or what is English. Have fun! My hope is to avoid drafts in the double digits, but it's getting close.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, has it really been almost a month since I've checked in here? Sorry, folks. Sanding/patching/painting the hallway/stairwell somehow ate my life for most of January. (But it's almost done. And what's done is purrrrty!)

Congrats & condolences as needed, and cookies all around.

Oh, Hathor, :Hug2: on the agent. Hope you had a really BIG drink -- and that the next agent who snaps you up knows how to sell awesome quirkiness!

Also, if you still need extra eyes on the queries, I could take a look. With the caveat that my own queries have never stimulated the slightest hint of interest. PM me if that sounds appealing.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
No, I had several somewhat big drinks. Thanks for the offer. But I put out a call on another thread to look and vote on the two versions of the query I have. At the moment, I have an odd number of volunteers, so the tie will be broken. Unless someone else there volunteers and I feel it would be churlish to say, "Well, never mind; turns out I don't need you." If you don't mind, I think I'll keep you in reserve for if I end up with a tie.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hathor - Sure, I'll be the tie-breaker if needed. No harm, no foul. :)

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, y'all been quiet. I just fixed up a new query this morning grabbing the elements I liked from the two versions and got my first set of queries out. Anyone want to join me with some Relief Rum? It can be considered Rejection Rum or Glum Rum, if you prefer.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
It can also be considered the Rum of Mortification, if you've done something like what I did with the first query: forgot to put the agent's name on it. Too anxious to finally get started, I guess. I figure I've done the embarrassing thing for querying this book now. Good thing I got it out of the way with the Big Name on my query list I don't really expect to bite but might as well try.

See, I do stuff like this so you won't be upset by your own mistakes. If this isn't enough, I'll mention the large number of queries I sent out on my first book (a so-far ill-fated NF) where I confused "forward" and "foreword."

Status
Not open for further replies.