The Daily Rejection, Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Antonin - That's great news about your wife! She probably just needs a little space at the moment, but it's great that she officially wants to work on your marriage!

Phantasy - I meant to say, yes feel free to send your query to the favouriting agents whenever you feel ready. Like JJ said, make sure to specify in the subject line that you're sending per their DVpit request, so you don't get stuck in the regular slush pile. Good luck!

Nova - For sure. You know where to find me. :)

Liz_V - wow, that's really neat about the workshop organizers! I do agree they should give all the specifics right on the course description, so people can make a more informed decision. Have fun!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
You know, I think this thread is missing something.

Like, something used to be here, and it hasn't lately.

Oh right.

pug%20pup_zpscvdyyx02.png

Pugs.

All better.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, Nova! Missed your post about the offer the first time! Super mega hyper Congrats!

Take your time to research the agents or go back over query and pages. You can probably take a couple of weeks if needed, though I'd try to get moving much more quickly if possible. And I'd definitely lead the query with the fact that they faved your pitch in DVPit, or even better add it into the subject line of the email.

ok, this is all good to know. I'm actually familiar with all the agents that liked me and I liked them. I just want to go over my work one more time.

And how long do I have to send when I'm asked for a full request?

Because I got one this morning!!! First one ever! Yay!

It's a real confidence boost! At least I can write a query and first chapter good enough to get a request.

I'm really hoping they like the book as much as my sister did. I mean, she had one issue with the romance, but she was so intrigued she finished a 400 page book in a day. Still really happy about that, because my sister is as picky as I am.

Last edited:

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the full request, phantasy! :banana: I think sending anytime within the next week or two would be fine. More than that, it could look like you queried without being ready to do so. The only exception is if between the time you queried to the time of the request, you received feedback leading you to start a revision. Then (just my advice, of course) you'd write to the agent promptly, explaining about the revision.

There's one blogger I used to read who said you could take months... nay, up to a full year... to respond to a request. This always seemed screwy to me.

Moonchild

Registered
Reaction score
Phantasy - congrats on the full request! :hooray: I always sent requested materials right away--occasionally within a day or two. But that's because I always want to tinker with my stuff, so waiting and giving it another pass pretty much would have guaranteed I'd NEVER be satisfied enough to send it over. :Shrug: But if you're not as OCD, then by all means, take a couple or few days to make sure things are ship-shape, and then send it over. I wouldn't wait much longer than a week, though. Like Hathor said, that could make you look like you weren't really ready to query.

TAM - OMG, I am DEAD! SOOOOOO CUUUUTE!!!!

Pug pug pug pug!

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Phantasy - :banana: :snoopy: Aw yeah!! I send requested stuff out right away, or else I'd tinker endlessly too, like MC. If you feel like it's done and ready, send it!

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
guys I'll come back soon. I'm so overwhelmed with things to do, responses, etc. I think I'm walking in some dream/nightmare/dream/nightmare....
I'M CURRENTLY REVERSE EMAILING ALL MY OUTSTANDING QUERIES BLASTING MUSIC ON MY HEADPHONES FEATURED IN MY BOOK.
Yes, satisfaction. I'm updating YOU this time...:evil the feeling will only last until I get the "don't want you anyway". which I'm fine with.
ok that's not nice, but you get the feeling. this is going to take days though...

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Nova, hugs to you! So happy to hear about the offer (!) :partyguy: That is seriously HUGE!!! All the congratulations. (Question: was this the pre-revised version?) But I've also experienced the pain of an mc and that can be a real doozy. :Hug2: You are in my thoughts and prayers. ETA: I cross posted and missed your update, but oooh, that sounds nice! Satisfaction is right. Enjoy it!

Phantasy, congrats on the full! :banana:

Congrats to the #DVpit folks, too! Woot!

I'm trying not to be jealous of all the activity here. Most days I feel like my writing and I barely remember each other. Life is full of good things for my kids right now but it means I have no time. And I'm also feeling like I should focus less on polishing an ms and querying it and more time on figuring out who I am as a writer and developing my voice and style more. It takes me about two years to write a novel, so if an agent takes an interest in this one, I won't have much more to offer. But of course a part of me is eager to query and wants to learn all I can from potential feedback etc. But the other part also knows the rejections will make writing really difficult. Blah. I just feel blah. But at least writing that makes me feel a bit better, too. ;)

Last edited:

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm trying to enjoy the hope before the self-doubt sets in. Ah, there it is.

I think I'll take a few days to make sure the romantic scenes are the best they can be, and then send my ms. Hopefully, by this weekend.

I'm pretty overwhelmed, too. I have to get this full out and send out my dv pit requests. And work is crazy and my niece's big old first bday is this weekend, and of course, I'm gunna help. My poor new ms will have to be put aside until that's all settled. Although updating that a bit has been helping with the edits on the first novel.

Vroom! Beep beep!

Nova - Lol, I totally get the mental revenge feeling! But yeah, take care yourself first. Enjoy the rush of getting an offer. We'll be here when you get back. :)

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Phantasy, congrats! I think you already have an answer to your question about when to send the material, but FWIW, I agree with the others. :)

Nova, oh how sweet it is! Congrats.

So, everyone, I just had a major "duh" moment this morning on the bus. I was reading a book about the organization of medical services during WW1 in Britain as I sat on the bus (as you do), and BOOM. It hit me. Why on earth was I placing my doctor and nurse in a little auxiliary hospital in Britain instead of on (or at least near) the front lines in France? DUH. Go where the action is, moron. A similar epiphany came to me circa 2011, when I moved back to the DC area. My WIP (now Channing) had been set in Baltimore because of . . . reasons (I don't even remember anymore). Then several months after moving to DC, I kind of woke up and said, "Uh, why not set it here in Washington City??" DUH.

ETA: TAM, thank you for the puppies!

Last edited:

Moonchild

Registered
Reaction score
Nova - that's the greatest feeling! Enjoy it! The coolest part, in my experience, was that even the "we didn't want you anyway" responses that started trickling in were, for the most part, really supportive and encouraging.:)

Ragged - Dunno... I think revising and polishing is a way to find your own voice and style, too, you know? That being said, life does get in the way, so give yourself all the time you need. :Hug2:

Phantasy - that's the best kind of overwhelmed! :) I hope your full and DVpit requests turn into awesome news.

angeliz - yay for epiphanies! :hooray: I had one, too, yesterday, which might actually help me fix up my villain's defeat. Now, if only I could get epiphanies to fix up that stupid beginning... :Shrug:

fitzdiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I am back in the revision caves, which is where I was so frustrated NOT to be when the computer was dead. And so... I am procrastinating. Sometimes I exasperate myself.

Nova, I think I would very much enjoy sending the "sorry, I'm off the market" emails. I might even enjoy getting tired of sending them. Congrats, and enjoy.

MC - boy, do I hear you on epiphanies coming at more convenient times.

R.Barrows

Count the Electrons
Registered
Reaction score
Bored with submitting. That's the only way I can put it. And I know that's wimping out. I told myself I'd weather 100 rejections before I self-published, and I've only done 10. 10 is nothing but... I'm bored with the process. I'm bored with trying to tweak the submission for each agent and research each agent to figure out what they're looking for. I'm bored with the synopsis and the query letter. I just want to write. So I do. But then I feel guilty because it's like I'm procrastinating if I'm not screwing around searching for agents. And it's not that I don't get occasional good feedback from them. They haven't been nasty or anything. The worst of the comments are along the line that the beginning doesn't 'grab' them enough. I mean, I know the story starts slow. It starts in an airplane during a lightning storm. Maybe I should have crashed the plane? And plenty of stories start slow. But apparently they want something major in the first chapter, and I don't want to rewrite the first chapter. I like it. Bleh.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
After 3 form rejections and a partial request, I have (I think) my first custom rejection (thanks to DVpit):

"You are a talented writer and I admire the dedication and thoughtfulness that’s evident from your material. Unfortunately, however, I personally look for more of a literary-commercial balance as opposed to strictly commercial."

And when I read the forums here, I'm reminded that I have a long, long, road ahead of me, and so: I think i need a drink.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Hi everyone! Congrats on all the DVpit favs! Although my book features a very diverse cast (for plots reasons, actually, although it's not super relevant and is never directly explained), it's not really a "diversity" book and it's not #ownvoices, so I did not feel like the DVpit event was for me. Happy to let other writers take the stage, and it sounds like it was a success. Yay!

Looks like there are some :snoopy::snoopy::snoopy: to hand out for Phantasy's first full request and Nova's offer. Huzzah! :hooray::partyguy::partyguy: Sorry if I missed anyone else, there was a couple pages to catch up on.

I've been crazy busy lately. My classes this quarter really ratcheted up the difficulty, and it was somewhat unexpected, and plus everything else going on, I feel a little stretched. But it's been good too, and it keeps me from dwelling on missing my bf, so it's fine. Just not much time for the Internet and TV!

I started querying MS6 this week--ack! It's exciting and terrible all in one. Everything is still shiny and new and my confidence is a frail little bud waiting to open or wither based on the first round of responses. I sent 5 so far, to agents who specify query only. Wasn't quite ready to send the pages out, but I think I've built myself up for it, so will probably send another 5 next week. Then wait on responses and see how it goes! Plus since next week is my conference, I may get some more insight there or even some leads that will boost my process.

Trying to brainstorm on MS7 a bit, but honestly I've not been able to give it much attention. Think once I get more settled in the idea of MS6 really being done, I can shift my focus better. I did come up with some interesting wedding traditions for this one nation on my run today, so that was a plus.

Anyway, wanted to pop by and say hi! Hope everyone else is doing well! *offers chocolate all around*

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: to those new to this thread. You'll find that many stages in this process seem to call for alcohol.

Good luck with MS6, Noranne. Yep, that bud of confidence at the commitment of querying your latest new shiny is wonderful.

I'm always very confident when I'm polishing a first draft prior to beta comment, as I'm doing now. Why, it's wonderful and everybody will love it. This could be big! Well, except for the times I run into troublesome bits and think it's rubbish. :tongue

I hope we hear some good news to finish out the week. Meanwhile, keep pugging everybody.

januarycomet

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys! :hi:

I've been wrapped up in work and new book and other stuff. Congrats Nova!!!!! And cookies and wine for rejections and suchlike!

I got my first "not a no" last night. After five months, the first agent who requested the full of my book asked if I'd do a R&R. So that's exciting! She's going to send me an editorial letter and I'm frankly really stoked to see her notes. And also basically terrified. But more excited than terrified.

I've still got a bunch of subs out but it's a relief to have someone like my writing and my book enough to want to read it again lol. I feel like I've made some tiny amount of progress in this whole thing.

Let us fill the wine tub! It is friday! :e2shower:

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
That's wonderful news, January! Good luck. Just remember when you get the comments, let them sink in for a few days if necessary and don't be afraid to bounce ideas off the R&R agent before you start drafting. That's what I did, which saved me from simply howling I didn't know how to do the R&R or going off in a way my now agent didn't like.

I like the idea of a wine tub. I better do my chapter revision for the day before diving in, though.

januarycomet

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent advice, Hathor, thanks! My plan is to read the letter when it comes in, then leave it for a few days, then read it again. Also I'm glad to say that after five months I've got enough distance from the book that I no longer feel precious about it. I just want to improve it, but I've felt flaily over it because I couldn't figure out what direction to go in. So it's also a relief to just have someone aim me lol. I've been writing professionally in some capacity or another for a few years, so I can take a note, and actually now I'm quite excited to wade back into the manuscript. I've missed these characters!

CL Polk

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
what excellent news january!

(I'm secretly hoping for an R&R response from an agent. I'd rather get that than a no, and it would also show the agent's story savvy to boot.)

januarycomet

Registered
Reaction score
CL Polk, I felt the same way, definitely. Even with great crit partners and beta readers, sometimes this process feels like staring into a void lol. The R&R is like seeing a star in the distance.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
So I had this plan to sent out those requests last night after work... But some cousins dropped by.

Then since I went to bed early I told myself I'd wake up early to send them out... But I forgot why I set the alarm early and went back to sleep.

Then I thought I'd sent JUST ONE out before work... But I clearly forgot how time consuming and stress inducing sending out a single request can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.