The Daily Rejection, Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Gahh! I didn't know about this. One of the first agents I queried almost over a year ago sent me a great personalized rejection. I suppose it's too late to respond now...*sigh* Oh well. I'll remember this for in the future.

Oh gosh, I'm no expert! There's no "rule" that I know off. I just shared what my personal approach has been and why! But seriously, I've just been making it up as I go along.

Last edited:

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, now I've seen tweets indicating the new PM rules are prospective. And I noticed I overlooked Wendy's favorites. :banana::banana::banana:Never mind me...

Just made myself take a walk in the sun to convince my body it is daytime. Didn't work. Time for more coffee. (Damn my husband -- he recovers from jetlag overnight.)

Shandylous

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, well I used to be an actress, and I did a lot of stand-in and background work. You can also catch me as a bank robbery victim in Criminal Minds and holding a spank paddle in the Patrick Dempsey movie Made of Honor. Quite the resume, haha! ;) on HIMYM I used to be a regular in MacLaren's pub. No speaking role, but NPH's character got to hit on me a few times.

TalanaRay

Registered
Reaction score
Back from Disneyworld, and thanks to scheduling tweets yesterday, I got two query requests from #Pitmad from a couple of awesome agents! A few small presses too, but I'm not gonna play the agent + Pub at the same time game. :-D Overall I'm thrilled with how it went!

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
Great interview Shandy! And I loved the little bit at the end. If there's a bookstore with wine and cheese tastings I'll be right there with you!

Moonchild

Registered
Reaction score
Great interview Shandy! :)

And welcome back, TalanaRay! (and congrats on all the pitmad faves! :snoopy:)

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Ha, well I used to be an actress, and I did a lot of stand-in and background work. You can also catch me as a bank robbery victim in Criminal Minds and holding a spank paddle in the Patrick Dempsey movie Made of Honor. Quite the resume, haha! ;) on HIMYM I used to be a regular in MacLaren's pub. No speaking role, but NPH's character got to hit on me a few times.

Quite the resume, indeed! Also, great interview.

Angeliz - How did you do during HP trivia night?

Pretty well. I think out team was fourth or fifth out of maybe twenty teams. They leaned a bit heavily on the seventh book, which was the only one I didn't skim very closely before trivia night. But we got most the questions. :)

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I have an interview up on Brenda Drake's blog! That's pretty exciting. :)
http://www.brenda-drake.com/2015/09...c-bell-shanna-rogers-joy-mccullough-carranza/

Cool! Congrats at getting in. Wine and cheese bookstores? Sign me up.

Back from Disneyworld, and thanks to scheduling tweets yesterday, I got two query requests from #Pitmad from a couple of awesome agents! A few small presses too, but I'm not gonna play the agent + Pub at the same time game. :-D Overall I'm thrilled with how it went!

Congrats!

Last edited:

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Hi everyone! Phew, that was a lot to catch up on. I read it all, but forgive me for not being able to reply to everything. Congrats and hugs all around as needed. :)

Monday was my birthday, so I spent the weekend having fun and trying to treat myself and relax. It mostly worked! And then back to the real world on Tuesday, oof. I may never burn off all the chocolate. Anyway, as far as writing, I am still not doing much of anything and it is making me antsy. I need to do these crits for my CPs, but honestly I hate critting so I am having a hard time forcing myself to do it. I have three full MS to read, and I'm like 2 scenes into the first one. Time to take a deep breath and just do it!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Hi everyone! Phew, that was a lot to catch up on. I read it all, but forgive me for not being able to reply to everything. Congrats and hugs all around as needed. :)

Monday was my birthday, so I spent the weekend having fun and trying to treat myself and relax.

Happy birthday, and good luck with the crits and the writing. I know what you mean about having trouble getting into that groove. I critted up a storm for a while, but I got kind of burned out on it (and I realized I wasn't reading much for fun anymore).

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I loved your interview, Shandy. Even if I'm a bit jealous that you sound more interesting than me :tongue

Happy belated birthday, noranne.

I heard from my agent. Current plan is to begin subbing on the 21st. She wants me to write up short synopses of my next two books, more like pitches than plot outlines she said. Has anyone dealt with such beasties before? The idea is to have something to give editors if they ask what else might be available. Plus she clarified the two changes she wants in my completed book.

So I guess it's back to writing work this rainy weekend. The sooner I get these pitchy synopsizing thingies written and those changes made, the sooner I can get back to revising my New Shiny, which is what I really feel like doing.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
re: PitchWars
Why not have supporters "favorite" things and agents request w replies stating what to send? It's not that much more difficult to copy/paste "Please send first 50pages!" is it? That would solve the issue of getting "favorites" from non-agent/editors.

Shanna - That is awesome. I feel like I need to rewatch all the pub scenes now to spot you. It'll be like "Where's Waldo?"

Talana - :banana::banana: for the #PitMad requests!

Nora - Happy Belated Birthday!

Hathor - Happy synopsizing!

As for me, it's a revision and reading weekend around here :) Oh yeah... and paying bills and cleaning the house. Bah, adulting.

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
re: PitchWars
Why not have supporters "favorite" things and agents request w replies stating what to send? It's not that much more difficult to copy/paste "Please send first 50pages!" is it? That would solve the issue of getting "favorites" from non-agent/editors.

Shanna - That is awesome. I feel like I need to rewatch all the pub scenes now to spot you. It'll be like "Where's Waldo?"

Talana - :banana::banana: for the #PitMad requests!

Nora - Happy Belated Birthday!

Hathor - Happy synopsizing!

As for me, it's a revision and reading weekend around here :) Oh yeah... and paying bills and cleaning the house. Bah, adulting.

thats an awesome idea for PW - that way the best (or I suppose the most popular!) tweets will stand out from the white noise with all the favourites, and the people who aren't participating but want to help can get more involved.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
As usual, our resident cyborg tree has the answer!

Now I feel like sending book descriptions similar to queries, instead of full synopses. If editors want to know what else I have, this would tell them... and hopefully hook them. Presumably they would ask only if they read book one, liked it, and already saw I can plot. If they still want detailed synopses at that point, I can send them. IDK Personally, I don't like knowing what's going to happen in a book. I suspect my agent is the same way; she's yet to ask for a synopsis for book one.

I have to figure out if I am rationalizing because I've quickly threw together something for New Shiny. I already had both a draft query and synopsis for book two, and I much prefer reading the former. And I hate writing regular synopses. What I was asked for was something short to describe what the books are about and pitch them.

Someday I will learn not to overthink everything. So I'll polish what I have, then send it to her. If she says, "No, no, no, describe more of the plots," I will :)

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
re:potential PitMad changes: I like the idea of non-agents being able to favorite in theory, but in practice it would probably translate to a popularity contest rather than a measure of how intriguing the pitch actually is.

Last night I sent out a query to one of the agents who favorited me. I am super nervous about it, because I know the disappointment will be more bitter if she doesn't want to see more.

I need to send to the other one today. Her agency requests a different query letter form than what I have, so I need to rewrite it to fit.

Moonchild

Registered
Reaction score
Morning report:

Inbox - Crickets (no surprises there, since it's Saturday)

WIP - Down to 110K! WOOT!:e2woo: And I still have to redo the big expository scene (so tricky to make exposition sound natural instead of a Big Giant Info-dump), and get to the climax and denouement. I think I might meet my goal of bringing this Draft 0.5 down to under 100K before the next pass! Huge for me, since the Horrible Mess of Draft Zero clocked in at 130K :chair

noranne - happy belated b-day! :Cake::Jump: Glad you had a good one. :)

Hathor - that pitchy synopsisy thing sounds suspiciously like a query-type thing to me. :scared:Maybe split the difference and go for a book blurb feel, see what your agent says? :Shrug:

Wendy - good luck adulting this weekend. I had to do some of that this week because we needed our hot water tank replaced. Fun times.

lianna - good luck with the pitmad agents! We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

TalanaRay

Registered
Reaction score
Moonchild - Woot! You can make it under 100k, you can do it!

Ianna - Congrats on the Pitmad requests! I hope that more comes from it. It is nerve-inducing.

Hathor - Sounds confusing. I hope you get some good blurb/synopsis materials written.

Lonegungrrly - Thanks for the banana dance!

noranne - Happy Birthday! Sorry if I'm late :p

Anyone I missed - Hope you're having happy inboxes and good writing.

For me:
I got a FULL REQUEST from my one Pitmad req already. o.0 I'm so freaking out right now! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.