Has anyone here hosted a Little Free Library?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't know that they're not being used - they're right next to a massive church and the board office itself gets a fair amount of traffic too. But they're a bit off the beaten path. I only found it because I spotted the crumbling stairs off the main street and went "I wonder what's up here?" (as I often do while walking.) Felt like I'd found my own secret garden ;D But it definitely didn't need the bag of MG stuff I've still got sitting in my car, so I'd rather put that in the one where I know they're being snatched up like hotcakes.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The official LFL website does strongly encourage people to check the zoning laws in their locations before installing one of these.

I have read about some of these problem situations, and it really doesn't surprise me, but I have to say the article doesn't convince me that there is some kind of crackdown going on. It reads more like the writer found several instances where there was objection to the LFL and put them in the article. Anecdotal recounting.

I hope I'm right about this and won't be surprised if I turn out to be wrong and there actually is some kind of crackdown going on.

I loved the "guerilla library" approach of the one person who just put out a stack of books and a sign with no structure to house them.

ETA: I believe these now number around 3000 -- so the number of problem stories in the article is not very significant, though each one is truly unfortunate.

Last edited:

BarII

Banned
Reaction score
I live in NY City and we have a bookshelf in the laundry room. Even with security cameras, every one of the four or five books I've been interested in over the years disappeared permanently within a couple of weeks. Luckily we have a regular library that's walking distance.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I imagine if I did one in my neighborhood, the books would never find their way back. Mostly because of laziness. I think people would throw them away before they'd bother taking them back to the shelf.

I was thinking of another issue, here. It's humid, like, always... would these books mold?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heza, people aren't supposed to return the books, just replace them. At this point, ours isn't being used much, not sure why. We change up the books fairly often and have a rather large number assembled waiting to be put out there.

No idea about the mold but the structurs the official organization builds and sells are weather-tight enough to withstand some heavy winter weather and rainstorms. I imagine there are LFLs in lots of humid locations and if someone wanted to look into that, there's a pretty up-to-date website -- there may even be a forum but I haven't investigated that far.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Heza, people aren't supposed to return the books, just replace them. At this point, ours isn't being used much, not sure why. We change up the books fairly often and have a rather large number assembled waiting to be put out there.

Oh, well, probably same trouble. They wouldn't bother to bring other books out. But my husband and I accepted that we'd be the ones keeping it supplied. I'll see if anyone's said anything about molding on the site.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that maybe one reason our traffic slowed to a halt is that the interested neighbors have all already taken and put in books and don't have new ones to add yet or perhaps there just aren't that many books and readers of books floating around this neighborhood!

We have not yet done any kind of "Grand Opening" or official attention-getting actions, so it's hard to say how many people actually know about it.

We've also been cross-fertilizing with a couple of other LFLs in town, taking books to them and bringing books back from them -- to keep things moving more. So there is no question of buying books for this! You might find you have acquaintances who are glad of a place to give their books to and will help keep your library stocked.

Also, I'm guessing if books don't sit in there for too long, you won't have a mold problem to speak of.

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
Discovered another one over by the city school's baseball field. It looked pretty well-stocked. But man oh man, I am having a devil of a time finding enough cheap YA/MG/children's books to keep the one by the park stocked! Anyone know a good place to stock up? I've been trying to search for cheap book vendors on amazon, but you can't sort independent stores by price (the plan being to grab a bunch of the 1c ones and see if they can combine shipping to reduce costs.)

Thankfully there's a big annual book sale in a few weeks, so I plan to stock up then. They usually have a fire sale on Sunday where it's $5/box of books.

Also, while up in Dahlonega over the weekend for a 10k, found an adorable little park with a LFL. Sadly, some ants had also moved in, so I didn't probe it too deeply.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
tiakall, I really like Abe Books. Though Amazon bought them out in I think it was 2008, they operate very differently and you can buy books through them from a great many independent sources. One I keep getting things from is a Good Will in San Francisco. (I'm on the East Coast) Many of the vendors offer free shipping too for their used books.

Not sure how inexpensive you need to go but check it out.

Also, my comment about our LFL not being used was me just being impatient. It is being used and books are moving out and in!

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I just discovered a LFL about a 30 minute walk from my house, at a local park. I shoved about 10 books in my backpack, made the trek, and dropped them off.
I like it as an alternative because the local Hospital donation dropbox is gone. This is the second best option.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear it, Anarchic Q.

The action at ours is a bit slow but books do move in and out. There's another in the neighborhood that goes empty; I guess the people around there don't add books back in, and the custodians don't either. So, we do. :)

One thing that's really intriguing is the range of material that's shared. Currently there's a copy of City On Fire out there, which is a rather literary blockbuster (I've read it and love it) among People magazines and various other lighter fare. :D

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I wonder if this is something that would work on a college campus--maybe even in the student lounge in our building? How does one get hold of one of those adorable little boxes?

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I wonder if this is something that would work on a college campus--maybe even in the student lounge in our building? How does one get hold of one of those adorable little boxes?

Look for a local woodworker; my aunt's husband has built a couple. I'd think you could modify an existing box or bookshelf, as well - if it's indoors, it won't need to be weatherproofed, so it wouldn't likely even need a door, save for ambience. (I once saw an old-fashioned phone booth converted to a LFL at a garden sculpture sale... dunno if it was a real phone booth or a replica, but it looked cool.)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder! It might be worth a try. The little boxes are fairly expensive though, and partly because they are built to withstand all sorts of weather. There are also books sent with each box, to start the process.

Go to the website and you can see all the various designs they offer, and also learn about the options to become an official LFL custodian with your own setup (which you might want to do if you're setting up inside a building, as it would no doubt be a lot cheaper.)

https://littlefreelibrary.org/

Hmm. The website has gotten a lot 'busier' in terms of moving images and screen changes, but there is a menu bar at top where you can see how to navigate, I think!

ETA: Cross posted with Brightdreamer, who's thinking along the same lines I am. :)

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Hmm, well this one would likely be in an indoor area that's open to the public during normal campus hours, so it wouldn't have to be as weathertight as an outdoor model. It might be something to bring up with the department to see if it might be something people would like to host. I'm sure we all have books we could donate to get the process started (some of my colleagues have college-aged, soon to be college-aged, or recently college-aged students too).

I don't know. I do see college students reading for fun sometimes before classes start, but I don't know what percentage of the student population are pleasure readers or too busy at this time in their life to do a lot of fun reading. Books are expensive, though, and that can be a barrier to some who might otherwise read.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let us know if you explore this, how it goes. I think it works best if one person, or a very few people, are responsible for curating the library, though. (I can envision endless committee-ing over things, and shudder at the thought.:D )

Status
Not open for further replies.