Has anyone here hosted a Little Free Library?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
I like the addition of sharing heirloom seeds.

Round here some people give away surplus plants (or sell them). I picked up a give-away strawberry plant earlier this year. Long been meaning to try growing strawberries in the greenhouse, now I am, and with no expense or effort. If it goes well, then I'll get more.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is a great thing to do. A while back I asked what should I do with ARCs that I had received from publishers to review. I have started to leave them in the lobby at my work for others to take. :snoopy:

Chanda

Registered
Reaction score
I've thought about hosting one, but we're kind of in a shady area, and I have a feeling certain individuals would use it for more than books, lol.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You would have to monitor that, for sure.

We are going ahead with ours; the structure was ordered today and we've contracted with a fellow who will set the post (and do the preliminary checking with the city utilities about digging, etc.)

I'll post updates in this thread as the project develops. This is the model we're getting; it's available now rather than having to be built to order, and we like the idea of having the additional seed exchange.

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
We have one next to a playground in the park where I go walking sometimes, so my roommate and I try to keep it stocked with children's/YA books from our local charity used book store (everyone wins!) Stuff goes out a lot faster than it goes in! I suspect it's because the area is fairly low-income.

And when I went by it over the weekend, someone had knocked in the plastic pane on the door. :( I wonder if I can rope my dad into helping me fix it.

I wouldn't mind having one out in my yard, but I live in a pretty small subdivision, so I doubt it would see much use.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's nice that you're helping to maintain it. According to the website, each LFL is supposed to have a person listed as its steward. Wonder if this one somehow got orphaned? :greenie

Anyway, very nice that you and your roommate are watching over it.

I'm quite curious, too, about the free books they send with the boxes. We figure it will not be an issue keeping it stocked -- lots of books around here.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're thinking of doing this at my house.

Never seen a formal one and never at anyone's house. But they're all over here. Our local fruit and vegetable stand has one, the local gun store has one and every cancer treatment center I've been in (plenty) has one. I've seen them in hair salons (stylists, barbers, whatever the term is this week), hotels, bed and breakfasts (a natural), city and county parks and rec centers, a local animal shelter and even one in a library branch run by the friends of the library group. I started one where I worked and (as far as I know) it's still going strong 18 years later. There even used to be one at a beach-side tiki-bar I used to go to before someone decided that condos were a much better option for the land.

Of course, every trip to a friend's or relatives on vacation includes a bag, or several, of books exchanged each way. So I see no reason you couldn't do one in your living room. Mine wouldn't work because nobody's quite crazy enough to come out here and brave a dirt road, No Trespassing and Beware of Dog signs, a closed gate and the sounds of random gunfire. :)

Update: After a search, I found one at a little antique shop that I pass several times a month. I'll have to remember to stop next time. Thanks.

Jeff

Last edited:

that redhead

Registered
Reaction score
This so cool! I looked on the map, and there are three within a mile and a half of my house, and another that's on the way to work. I'm going to have to check them out and bring presents.

I've run into a few geocaches that were also mini libraries. Those were awesome.

I work in a GED school in a low income area, and we've got a table with free books people can take. I get them at the "friends of the library" book sales that go on several times a year.

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Just want to say I saw one of these for the first time yesterday, at the beach, and only knew what it was because of this thread. I think it's wonderful, and plan to bring and leave a book next time I go.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how our HOA would feel about this. I'll check into it, but I'm not sure bylines would have accounted for something like it. Kids have lemonade stands and car washes, but that's about as close as I think guidelines come.

When I got married, we ended up having a lot of duplicate copies of books (it was sweet to realize that) and I'm constantly buying MG and YA books I don't have room for. I was concerned when I read that it comes stocked, but if people tend to take without giving, then we could still restock it with our excess for a while.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
We have one at the Homeowner Association pool of the neighborhood we just moved into. I haven't gotten to visit it yet, but I was told everyone is really good about replacing borrowed books and adding new ones. I'll try to get down there in the next few days and check it out, maybe even take a few books to donate if I can find which box they're packed in.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, they do come stocked, but for one thing, you may not want to host those particular books but have a different focus. For another, yes, I do think there must be attrition to the stock because some people will take and not replace, no doubt! I actually hope they do because I love the idea of being able to seed and weed the books. So to speak.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If I ever return to small town life, I would love to do this.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So our Little Free Library was delivered a few days ago, and today it was installed on a nice sturdy four by four post in the corner of the front yard. Most of the books they sent us -- all of them really when you count a couple of MG titles -- are kids' books, so I beefed it up with a couple of novels, a how-to book on organizing, and a couple of poetry collections, because I hope adults will use it also.

There is a drawer for seed sharing and a seed and recipe exchange which I am not at all sure how to organize, so I put a note in it saying "Watch this space. Seed Exchange coming soon!" If nothing else, I will just put some seed packets in there to start. The organization sent us quite a generous selection of excellent seeds but they are all for a summer vegetable garden and so not very useful here at this time of year. It's far too late to start tomatoes and cucumbers!

But that's just cake icing; the book exchange is the main course here and I am so delighted to be doing this! Already two neighbors stopped by to chat and have a look; the next door neighbor is thinking of what books she might contribute. She told me one of the neighborhood kids already stopped by and was looking at it.

One really good thing is the children's books have mixed race illustrations and characters too, presumably, though I didn't do more than glance at them. This neighborhood is probably at least half African-American, so I was glad to see those illustrations on the kids books.

Friend of mine here is going to post some pictures I took soon as she gets around to it. (Since I am not able to do that, she offered.)

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
So, because Kyla's computer is wonky, I give you.. Pictures!

utf-8QAW3LFL5_zpsc6969a86.jpg

utf-8QAW2LFL6_zpscb5d9715.jpg

utf-8QAW1LFL3_zps4ebb4d1c.jpg

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I have visions of stocking it with AWers' titles....

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And the LFL is already being used. A book of poems and a novel I put in there have been taken and another book added, as well as some magazines.

:greenie

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Love it, Kylabelle! What a cool addition to your neighborhood.

After my paper did a story on local LFLs, we decided to host one, though I don't think it's official. A former staffer who makes birdhouses created the library, and it's in the hallway of our building, right outside our offices. I use it as the solution to my ARC problem. We get a lot that we can't use because the authors aren't local -- or we do review them, but don't have any reason (or space) to keep the book.

On the one hand, I realize that giving away an ARC this way means one less potential customer for the book. On the other hand, maybe it could create word of mouth and help generate future sales, like a real library. Mainly I just don't want to toss the ARCs, because throwing away books really bothers me. I want books to have homes.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Again this morning there have been books taken and other books added. I'm kinda serious about seeding the thing with some AW members' works, too. That's next on my agenda for this project.

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, yours is adorable, Kylabelle!

I think the one by the park is effectively abandoned. Of the three that were listed as sponsors (a high school club, a couple, and a small business) I was only able to find contact information for one and they never responded. :/ Going to send my dad a text and see if he wants to tackle the project with me.

Also discovered the local school board has three (!!) for children's, YA and adult, but they're all stacked to the brim and I don't know that they see a lot of traffic, so I really want to get the one by the park up and running again.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tiakall, that's super! It's too bad the school board's three are not being used. I've been conscious already here that having too many books in there is a deterrent rather than an attracting factor. Makes it look unused and also there is no room for someone to add a book if they should choose to (or if they are returning to add something after taking a book earlier.) Ours is a bit too full right now so later on I am going to "weed" a little I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.