Ghostwriting Agencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostwriter007

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Please tell me if this isn't the correct forum but... I did have a question regarding ghostwriting agencies. I've been approached by a few and I wanted to know if anyone had any knowledge or recommendations for agencies? I'm a ghostwriter ( I specialize in fiction although I can help clients with nonfiction also), but would prefer to work for a service or agent who would provide steady work (taking care of sick relative).

I'd appreciate any insight anyone could bring!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've ghostwritten a lot of books, and am not aware of any ghostwriting agencies.

Some agents work with ghosts on their clients' books; publishers also use them. But it's usual for a ghostwriter to have their own agent, or to work with their author's agent.

Could you let us know who these agencies are? They might be packagers or publishers, and you've got a bit mixed up with your terminology (that happens often; don't worry about it). It would help clarify. If you're wary of mentioning names in public you're welcome to send me a private message in confidence.

There are very few publishers or agents who "provide steady work" in the way I think you're looking for. Most provide work on a book-by-book basis, and require experienced, reliable writers who have a good track record. They don't work with novice writers. If you've been approached by some of these agencies and you don't have a good history of publication then I suspect they're dodgy, and you should run away. But I can't help you more until you give me a little more detail.

ghostwriter007

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I'd rather not get into the specifics as far as the actual agency but suffice it to say- I didn't sign with them. I guess I'll have to continue searching Elance lol!

Thanks again!

I've ghostwritten a lot of books, and am not aware of any ghostwriting agencies.

Some agents work with ghosts on their clients' books; publishers also use them. But it's usual for a ghostwriter to have their own agent, or to work with their author's agent.

Could you let us know who these agencies are? They might be packagers or publishers, and you've got a bit mixed up with your terminology (that happens often; don't worry about it). It would help clarify. If you're wary of mentioning names in public you're welcome to send me a private message in confidence.

There are very few publishers or agents who "provide steady work" in the way I think you're looking for. Most provide work on a book-by-book basis, and require experienced, reliable writers who have a good track record. They don't work with novice writers. If you've been approached by some of these agencies and you don't have a good history of publication then I suspect they're dodgy, and you should run away. But I can't help you more until you give me a little more detail.

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
I know of one genuine ghostwriting agency: Gotham Ghostwriters. I am registered with them and can confirm they are legit. They tend to focus on high-level corporate speechwriting work and authors looking for experienced ghostwriters, and like Old Hack said, if you're a novice, they won't be much help. However, I did find my agent through a lead I got from them, and I also made some contacts at a book packager, so they haven't been totally useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.