Without sounding like a prat...

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm not sure if I'm even posting this in the right place! But, I have to ask because I feel like I'm going in circles here.
I'm currently with Siren Publishing, and I love them. They're great. However, I'm trying to get with the bigger imprints, and I don't know how I go about doing that. I'm not looking for a magic wand to make it happen :) Just trying to figure out the path I need to take.
Is the only way via an agent?
Very few, as far as I can see, even have submission guidelines!
Is there another option I don't know about?
Thanks so much!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
There are few routes to one of the Big 5 (if that's the level you're going for) that doesn't involve an agent. Your cover in your avatar seems to indicate you write one of the subgenres of romance or erotica. Harlequin still takes direct subs from authors and so does Tor (where I'm at.) But Tor generally does only paranormal romance. For Small Press (print) I think Sourcebooks Casablanca is still accepting direct subs. They've become very well respected, with a fair number of USAT and NYT authors.

I'm a fan of agents and would strongly recommend that route if you want to get to the next level where you're not your own publisher--and not everyone wants to be, myself included.

Good luck!

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Cathy!
I'll definitely look into the names you mentioned. I'd love an agent, but finding it hard to get them to pick me up. LOL. I'm going to keep on trying with agents, with different MSes, but at the mo, the book I pitched to them...I might as well try with a publisher.
A Big 5 publisher is deffo on my list of goals! :D

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any correlation between a...how do I phrase it?
Um, for example, Lyrical Press is now owned by Kensington. Is it likely that someone at Lyrical will help you jump aboard Kensington? Same with Carina Press and Harlequin?
I've always wondered :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It does sometimes happen but I wouldn't bet on it. Because if you were an editor at a small imprint, and you came across a really good book, would you say to your bigger brother, "hey! here's a really good book! do you want it?" or would you sign it, and enjoy the sales it produced?

What you need to move up a step is a good agent. If you're struggling to find one then it's likely that either your work isn't good enough, there's a problem with your query, or you're not submitting to the right agents. You might like to put some work up in our Share Your Work rooms and see what feedback you get: it can really help.

Good luck!

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Old Hack. I think the query I sent out didn't sell the story so I'm going to revamp. I figured the agent option was the best way to go. I haven't actually reached the stage where the agent receives anything from me other than the query, so it has to be the query...or the story, but I have to say, the story is really good.
I know I have to say that lol, but it really is :)

I'll look on the Share Your Work room, thanks for telling me about it.