AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Distinguished Press

Now with bonus eyelashes AW Moderator Sage's Avatar

Distinguished Press

http://distinguishedpress.com/

They're favoriting twitter pitches, so I thought I'd start a thread. They are specifically interested in series rather than standalones, which is cool for us series writers, as long as the rest of the company holds up, of course.

Founded January 2014, according to their website.

They list their team, but no specifics in where they worked in publishing before.

Looks like they have four books for sale at this time, one in print (POD?), but they list more authors than that. One of their published series may be authored by the head of their marketing department. I couldn't figure out the author of the other series in their store, but if I had to guess based on what I could see of the name, I think it's also one of their editors.

No details on royalties--they're upfront on choosing not to disclose it--except that they're paid every month for books bought from their store and 2-3 months from other vendors.
    Paranormal Bromance and Joy (PB&J) - NaNoWriMo - 35,184 words

"This isn't Scooby Doo. We're not meddling kids who are going to find clues and solve the mystery."
    "This is Scooby Doo, except the monsters and witches are real, and they have your family! You and Joy are the only ones who can do anything about it."

Not to totally nitpick but their 'About' page has some awkward writing and the usual (its/it's) confusion.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    "By being a creation of an author there is an understanding of this business from multiple standpoints that drive it forward for the success of the entire team, and not single members. Unification for success makes the difference."

?

My best guess is that this is intended to mean: you are obliged to cross-promote.
    Last edited by veinglory; 05-27-2015 at 11:26 PM.
    Emily Veinglory

I found their page on SmashWords... they seem to have quite a few novels through the same authors, the ones listed off their website, all e-pubbed. The quality of the summaries for all their books and the cover art leaves something to be desired.

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/v...inguishedPress
    Last edited by Channy; 05-29-2015 at 03:44 AM.
    A New Breed is Awakening~

Hybrids - Round 2 Revisions; after three brave beta-readers, our young heroine must battle the red-pocked manuscript and re-write a new beginning

They seem to think genre is the plural of genre. A nitpick, but one really thinks a publisher website should be edited to the same standard as their books. It's their public face and the first example of their output that readers and prospective authors see.
    Last edited by DreamWeaver; 05-28-2015 at 06:01 PM.
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

Yup. I toss business cards that are badly formatted and spelled.

This M/M space opera

Braving the query mountains Cel_Fleur's Avatar
    Hmm. Got a fave from #SFF, and honestly their website is not impressing me. Besides, most small presses contract series anyway, so it's hardly a unique selling point of the company.
    Silent by day; pretentious by night.

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Currently...juggling the lives in my head.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    This publisher recently moved toward a "co-op" format of the authors receiving a higher percentage of profits, but in exchange must do the majority of not only their own promotion, but that of the other authors in the company. The owner also just stepped down and is leaving the company entirely in the hands of its authors -- this following an apparent mass exodus, as many of the books previously published by them are no longer available on Amazon. I also don't see many other books published by the authors remaining, so I doubt their publishing expertise.

Not to be politically correct, but...Duh. This is a very textbook development in a textbook case of a failed/failing press.

This M/M space opera

Distinguished Pres

DP has essentially been resurrected by the owner as Midnight Rose Publishing. Can an admin update the title of the thread to reflect such?

Edit: And yes, precisely what the post behind me points out. Owner separated from the company and left it in the hands of the remaining authors, essentially now self-publishing. Vanity press but not by choice.
    Last edited by folieadeux; 03-06-2016 at 09:47 AM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin fionnabhar's Avatar
    They "split" from the company. More like they declared all contracts to be null and void and left seven authors holding the bag to self-publish as part something they called a "co-op."

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Since this is a split, the thread has been split.

Distinguished Press continues in this thread.

Midnight Rose Publishing is now here.
    Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 03-05-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    We have an image-size limit of 400 x 400. Please reduce your image. There's a FAQ if you need help: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...ize-Guidelines
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Why is their website so low budget? That alone turns me off.
    YA debut BURRO HILLS coming from Diversion Books on March 20, 2018!

YA LGBT Contemporary/Thriller - On submission + revising
    YA Contemporary Mystery/Horror - Writing, 57k+
    Short Fiction Online: Rabbit Suit

Website
    + Twitter

Modified in both threads
    Last edited by folieadeux; 03-06-2016 at 09:47 AM.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Denouement: site's gone, and remaining authors have taken over FB page as Four Phoenixes Publishing: https://www.facebook.com/DistinguishedPress
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I think there is a relationship between Distinguished Press and the recently launched Fantasy Works Publishing.

Some author and editor overlap - but oddly is kind of obscured. Distinguished Press lists Jen Felts as acquisitions editor. I'm reasonably sure that Jen Felts = "Jen Leigh", Chief Editor at Fantasy Works Publishing.

From DP site:
    Jen Felts is the acquisitions editor. With many years of experience running a bookstore while managing both customers and employees she has achieved an understanding of people that allows her to find the best fit for our team. With more than five years editing experience her knowledge is an asset to everyone we work with. As an avid reader she’s able to assess a manuscript rapidly, and determine the viability of the story line.

From FWP Site:
    Jen Leigh - Chief Editor
    She is the former owner of several businesses including a computer repair shop and book store. Most recently, she spent two years as Managing Editor of a small press. Prior to that, she was a freelance editor with a client list ranging from self-published to award winning, traditionally published authors. She is an avid reader and author. She earned her business degree in 1998 and now lives on a hill, with her husband, surrounded by forty acres in the middle of nowhere–just the way she likes it. - See more at: http://www.fantasyworkspublishing.co....SPGMOhqt.dpuf

Last edited by WordswithFriends; 08-16-2016 at 06:58 PM.