Violent Crime Spikes In Baltimore

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Hours after Baltimore's mayor huddled with police officials to discuss the recent spike in violence, two more people were killed Monday — making May the city's deadliest month since 1999.

The two homicides increased this month's total to 35. There have been 108 homicides across the city this year.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...rial-day-homicides-20150525-story.html#page=1

Some are attributing this spike in violence to the anger after Freddy Gray and the community having lost all trust in the police, preventing people in the community from cooperating with the police in any way.

Others are blaming it on the police no longer being proactive in
their patrol, for fear of being not only sued but imprisoned if anything were to go wrong.

Others are blaming it on a police slow down, where they are simply refusing to do anything but minimum enforcement as a form of protest over how they are being portrayed.

I'm thinking it's a combination of all three.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
If the residents think it's because of drugs (from the article), I'm going to go with drugs. I wonder what's up that's made the drug business more violent or more common recently?

They did have a lot of folks come to Baltimore over the death of Gray, for various reasons. Maybe the influx of new people has something to do with it happening now. ???

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
First, I agree with Rugcat. I think there is, like so many things, a combination of circumstances. All the following is strictly my opinion, no cites, just opinion. You can make statistics say whatever you want them to see.

#1: If I were doing police patrol today, with the mistrust, the cameras everywhere, the attitudes of most of those in charge whose only concern is liability, the elements of the population who are actively trying to stir things up......................you are darn tooting I would be very careful what I did on patrol. Any officer who has been on the street knows how to do it, legitimately and properly.

#2: Using NYC as an example, there is zero incentive to do more than the minimum. When you have roll call before hitting the street, the shift commander passes on "special attention" items that are sent down from above. I suspect that some of the incidents were a result of officers being told to target certain crimes/city ordinances. Arresting someone for selling cigarettes is stupid in my mind, but it is the type of thing that comes from above. The average policeman has much better things to do.

What the average person may not realize is that you have to do a report for any arrest, then depending on the size of the department, you have to transport the person to a detention facility, fill out more paperwork there. Any evidence must be documented, complete with labels and a chain of custody form. Then you have to take it the evidence storage facility. Then as soon as you go back in service, there will be several calls that must be answered, with the potential of their own paperwork and processing. If you have not completed the original report by end of shift, you have to finish it and get supervisor approval (who will be right over your shoulder telling you to hurry up so they can go home.

But that's not all. Then you get notices for court appearances and questions from the DA. If the person takes it to trial, it could be years from the original arrest. The problem is that any incident could go through the entire process, so you have to make every report complete and detailed as possible, because a good defense attorney will ask many things that have no relation to the "crime," but the real goal is to make you look like an idiot.<Granted some are, but most are not>

Main point of this is as follows: Knowing what you may have to go through, you do not go looking for things. You will get enough calls without looking for anything.

#2: The hard-core criminals know what the current situation is. They are and will continue to take advantage of it.

#3: The violence in the big cities is what I think of as the old phrase, "Chickens coming home to roost." Politicians only think about the next election. Decisions they made years ago to the present have their own consequences. These are some of them.

#4: There are bad policemen, in the sense they may be racist, incompetent and corrupt. There are "civilians" that are the same. But they are not the majority in either case. The problems caused by them are out of proportion to their numbers.

#5: How to fix? I don't know and don't claim to know. What I do know is the pot of resources is more or less fixed. To fix one element, something else will be shorted. The sense of "entitlement" of all the parties will have to be broken up before anything meaningful is accomplished.

YMMV

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
A spike of violence around this time of year is normal; it happens every year. We had about as many shootings over the weekend as over the past couple of weeks. But Baltimore seems to be experiencing even more violence than usual.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A spike of violence around this time of year is normal; it happens every year. We had about as many shootings over the weekend as over the past couple of weeks. But Baltimore seems to be experiencing even more violence than usual.

Maybe because it's not usual?

There are no more cops in riot gear in Baltimore, but the severe shift in their presence —from armored cops policing peaceful protests to their absence during the high homicide count this month— can’t help but feel like a silent counter-threat to some citizens of West Baltimore. The end of May marks the city’s deadliest month in over 15 years, with more than two dozen people shot over Memorial Day weekend, many in the neighborhood where Freddie Gray was killed by police force and where protests in his memory ended in riots and a mayor-requested state of emergency.

“The city wants people to die, they don’t care about us,” a mother and resident of the Gilmor Homes, where Gray grew up, tells me. We talk about the 9-year-old boy who was shot in the leg on Memorial Day. (Yesterday, on May 28, a 7-year-old boy and his mother were both shot in the head and died.) “First they bring in military as we mourn the loss of a young man, like we gon’ try to get another one of our kids killed. And best believe that when the TV [cameras] go away, the [cops] do too.”

If it’s surprising, it shouldn’t be. The last time I was in Baltimore, during the week of the Freddie Gray protests and the State’s Attorney’s decision to charge the six officers involved in his arrest and subsequent death, the sense of community between locals was strong, supportive, and vibrant. The suspicion and distrust of Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake was at an all-time high: In the span of a few days, she described teenagers who were corralled by police in riot-gear as they left their school as “thugs,” suggested citizens act as community peacekeepers between riot-gear cops and violent protestors, showed distrust of peaceful protesting by instituting a city-wide curfew, and even butted heads with the officers from the Baltimore City Police Department.

We’re now a few weeks removed from the state of emergency, and with all six officers involved in Gray’s death indicted by a grand jury on various charges. (Two—Edward Nero and Garrett Miller—were indicted on second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, and misconduct in office for “failure to perform a duty regarding the safety of a prisoner,” and illegal arrest.) This news was shared with the public and officers alike on May 21, the day before the long holiday. By the end of the month, the city would suffer the highest number of violence-related deaths (35) in the city since May 1999.

“See all these bodies dropping?” a Baltimore police officer asked me when we spoke earlier this week. “People wanted a kind and gentler police department. Well, they’re receiving a kind and gentler police department.” He sighs before continuing. “That’s basically it. For real.”

Meanwhile, members of the alleged “kind and gentler” department bristled with anger at the orders as violence continued to spread around them. One officer I spoke with blames the mayor’s office for the lack of an organization and support for the department, citing resentment over how officers were told to play nice while watching City Hall support charges against their peers.

“We weren’t told not to do our jobs, if you know what I’m saying,” he says. “But you’ve got officers who are scared now. Officers who are in fear of being charged with shit. Officers are scared that another incident might happen. It’s not a common thing, but the uprising and the riots that have been going on for years. That’s been common. Freddie Gray is a recent example, but we’ve had blocks of fights all times of the year.”

The cops aren’t wrong in feeling unsupported by those at City Hall. According to one BPD street cop, the city has continued to handle basic internal affairs disastrously. He says that low-ranking cops, many of whom are activated on holiday-weekends, are still being shorted on regular-hours pay.

“They fucking ruined our paychecks again. We were always screwed from the state of emergency money, [but] two weeks ago we didn’t get paid regular working hours. A week ago we didn’t get regular [work hours] overtime, say if someone worked 15-hours. It’s so fucked up. Everybody’s shit is fucked up,” he says. “No one picks up when you call. When we complain, nothing happens. The city can cut checks, but they only cut checks for sergeants. They didn’t cut checks for everyone who needed to get paid. They only cut checks for the supervisors and said ‘Fuck y’all,’ to the rest of us.”

He goes on to say that communications within the department are severely lacking and that basic procedural issues are addressed only for show, specifically referencing protective gear issued to cops.

“People are missing crotch protectors and leg protectors and helmets. So now, they’ve got half of this stuff and everyone has to go ask for the other half,” he says. “They order shipments but it’s nobody’s job to make sure that officers have what they need. Nobody. When we’re called to put gear on, they just put everything in a box truck and then come to you and say, ‘Come get your shit.’ It’s crazy. Then two days later, you can’t ask for what’s missing.”

A non-profit called Police Organization Providing Peer Assistance (POPPA!) has even sent NYPD officers to Baltimore over the past few days to help them get through this ... difficult time. The BCPD officer I spoke with warns that people from within the department flip-flopping so regularly will only increase tension. “[Officers] are like, ‘Man, fuck this place!’ You know what I mean? People are just doing what they gotta do,” he says. “Officers think, ‘We got to take care of our own. We got to take care of each other.’ The mayor and State’s Attorney are the first to sell us out to the press. It’s like, c’mon. I know you had to charge [the officers involved with Gray’s death], but at least defend us on TV and shit. I get it. I get the charges. But if they can’t pay us and are also on TV fucking us, making our jobs harder, fuck that.”

We've been here before when the NYPD staged their slowdown following their beef with Mayor De Blasio. This is a little game the cops like to play when they feel disrespected and get pissed off. They remind everybody how much they need them when they sit back and let the criminals fuck with them a bit.